Lord of the Rings Online

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Servers are back up and seem fine. Maybe they finally got some new hardware lol.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
So where do you apply Coupon Code? I don't see it under acct page. Also, they put runemage behind paywall? Damn, I am disappointed

Raes

Vyemm Raider
So where do you apply Coupon Code? I don't see it under acct page. Also, they put runemage behind paywall? Damn, I am disappointed

Log into the game, open Lotro store (there's a button, bottom right) click "redeem code" enter code.

Runekeeper has always been behind a paywall if you don't own Moria.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Log into the game, open Lotro store (there's a button, bottom right) click "redeem code" enter code.

Runekeeper has always been behind a paywall if you don't own Moria.

can do it on char select screen too, top right button iirc

apparently runekeeper and guardian are trash tier right now. sounds like beorning is the OP atm (can solo group instances) followed by captain.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It looks like I stopped in the middle of the second mordor zone, so there's plenty for me to do. It took me a bit to remember how to spec my champion(110) but it seems like he still does good damage.

How soon is the legendary weapon change? I looked and I think my level 100 2nd age stuff is very viable. I think was going to make some 1st age stuff for the hell of it, but I think it's overkill for what I do.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Mob health doubles when you hit the Beornings (level 120 zone), and that was where I really hit my issues. Admittedly, Minstrel is not a high DPS class.

That said, if you are going to grind out the anfalas scrolls of empowerment (or whatever), you should be doing it on a First Age, and it's a whole process you should look into to max it out _before_ you imbue it, when the power bumps are much easier to get.

sukik

I maxed my stuff out ages ago. If I remember right, 1st/2nd/3rd all end up in the same place, but 1st give you a heads start. I think I went with 2nd because that's what I could make, and first age was crazy expensive or a pain to farm. I did whatever the extra farming and it was fine. But, the entire process is a convoluted mess. My champ has a 1hs, and I think I was going to make a 2 hs at some point but I stopped playing for other games.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I haven't been to the newest high level zones but I always thought LoTRO could have a tourist mode, kind of like AC:Origins discovery tours. The world is surprisingly beautiful for an older game and full of detail from both the books and movies.

Regarding quest packs vs expansions: Expansions are like the X.0 versions of the game and usually include a couple zones and their quests, plus dungeons/raids and sometimes other new things. All the x.1, x.2, etc, updates are quest packs and not included with the recent expansion the way WoW does it. You need to actually buy them to get the quests for those new zones. All those inbetween-expansion zones are what are free in the code above.

So can I redeem that code, then buy all of the expansions for 99 points each, then I'm good on more or less having everything important?

Agreed on the tourist mode. One of the things I did in early Kunark era EQ was make an iksar shaman and get them to level 9 so I could cast SoW, then put that on and ran all around the continent. With SoW I could outrun things and thus wouldn't get gibbed if something saw me. Managed to run all the way to Skyfire and stand on top of Veeshan's Peak, and that was good enough for me. Stayed away from the drachnids because people were saying they could snare/root. It was one of the most fun things I've done in an MMO. I'd love to run around LOTRO's world like that and see everything without having to worry too much. Maybe on a fast horse?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1595745746509.png

Looks like my 33 hunter is still here. Left off in Rivendell. It isn't letting me fullscreen it or change the graphics settings without crashing and saying I need DirectX 9.0c, which is unavailable for Windows 10. I've got DirectX 12 on here by default. At the very least, it looks like the graphics are either max settings or close to it already. Would still be nice to be able to fullscreen the game. Any suggestions?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
The legendary changes are on the list of "things to do". But no further info yet as far as I can see. I do believe they are scheduled for this year though.

• 1Like

sukik

I looked at the legendary imbue process again yesterday. What a pain, especially for a min/maxer who wants those extra few dps. I hope the rework makes it more accessible.

Got sucked in yesterday and did the midsummer chapter and a couple Mordor zones. The music in the game is still fantastic

• 1Like

sukik

Mob health doubles when you hit the Beornings (level 120 zone), and that was where I really hit my issues. Admittedly, Minstrel is not a high DPS class.

That said, if you are going to grind out the anfalas scrolls of empowerment (or whatever), you should be doing it on a First Age, and it's a whole process you should look into to max it out _before_ you imbue it, when the power bumps are much easier to get.
I want to highlight that I'm not suggesting anyone do 2nd or 3rd age weapons at this point. The functional difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd age is negligible, but the first age is a tiny bit better. When first went through the process in 2016/2017 1st age weapons were prohibitively expensive on my server, and as someone who doesn't really raid it didn't make any sense. The dps difference at max in mordor was 1100 for 1st and 1060 something for 2nd. I think 1st age weapons are much easier to get now from what I understand.

The current problem with legendary weapons is that I don't think they match the damage of current weapons in the game, but they're still required because of the other attributes. And people are getting tired of the grind to max them out, so they may go with another catch up system. We'll see what they do. I maxed the DPS on mine out again, and I think it went to Minas Morgul level because it's doing 3-4x the damage of weapons in mordor.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
EDIT: Solved the problems, game is working normally now! Had to get the computer to enable DX11.

1595885631349.png

So cool to be able to play this game on max settings. Ten years ago when I could only play it on minimal settings, it was brutal visually.

Getting the quest packs and the things on sale now. Def gonna subscribe some time during a lull in EQ and give this another run, can't wait.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Try installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 and 2010 Redistributable. If that doesn't fix the issue, you can try this thread:

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
From the link Kriptini posted:

We have seen our communities come together in recent months as we unlocked quest, raid, and adventure area content to all players, and we are excited to make some announcements today that you'll want to read.
We would like to thank you for supporting us! To begin with, you can continue to enjoy playing all quests, raids, and adventure areas for free through August 31st, 2020. We would also like to provide a way for you to move forward with your gaming when our event eventually comes to an end, so in the coming days we will be providing a Coupon Code that will let you acquire all currently-available quest packs permanently on your account(s)! However, you will need to act quickly, as this Coupon Code is available to redeem through August 31st, 2020.
The Coupon Code is: LOTROFREEQUESTS (1/Account, available to redeem through August 31st, 2020)
This Coupon Code will grant the following to your game account:
  • Quest Pack: Central Gondor
  • Quest Pack: East Gondor
  • Quest Pack: West Gondor
  • Quest Pack: Wildermore
  • Quest Pack: Angmar
  • Quest Pack: Enedwaith
  • Quest Pack: Eregion
  • Quest Pack: Evendim
  • Quest Pack: Forochel
  • Quest Pack: Eriador Bundle
  • Quest Pack: Misty Mountains
  • Quest Pack: North Downs
  • Quest Pack: Trollshaws
  • Quest Pack: Lothlorien
  • Quest Pack: Great River
  • Quest Pack: Old Anórien
  • Region Pack: Far Anórien
  • Quest Pack: March of the King
  • Quest Pack: Battle of the Black Gate
  • Quest Pack: Legacy of the Necromancer
  • Quest Pack: Where Dragons Dwell
  • Quest Pack: The Vales of Anduin
  • Quest Pack: Mists of Wilderland
Additionally, in the near future, we will be conducting a limited time sale on select Expansion quests in the LOTRO Store where you will be able to pick up the following items for only 99 points through August 31st, 2020:
  • Expansion Quests: Mines of Moria
  • Expansion Quests: Siege of Mirkwood
  • Expansion Quests: Rise of Isengard
  • Expansion Quests: Riders of Rohan
  • Expansion Quests: Helm's Deep
  • Instance Cluster: Rise of Isengard
  • Instance Cluster: Riders of Rohan
We are also announcing an update to our VIP program! Soon, VIPs will get access to a vendor that will grant them the following benefits once per day: 48-hours of town services items, a buff that negates item wear, and a buff that provides rapid crafting.
VIPs do not need to do anything to get this update, as your VIP account(s) will automatically receive this benefit in a game update in the near future.
Please continue to enjoy our games, and we are happy to have you here.
Sincerely,
The teams at Standing Stone Games

1595888735301.png

Punched in the free stuff code, didn't get everything on the list though. Maybe some of it is only if you're VIP? I plan to get 3 months of VIP when I'm ready to actually get down and focus on this between EQ expacs.

1595888862124.png

Helm's Deep is the only expansion available, as well as these two quest packs. I don't see any of the others.

Thinking it's one of these situations:
-They won't show up unless I'm VIP
-Or maybe it's like EQ and getting the latest thing automatically gives you everything before it (i.e. Helm's Deep will give me prior expacs)
-I got a lot of stuff back in the day, and Helm's Deep being the only one available might mean I bought the earlier ones
-You need to get Helm's Deep before Gondor/Mordor expacs become available? Assuming they were expacs? Or was Helm's Deep the last full expac?

If all I have to spend on this to get the full scope of content is $50 or so for Helm's Deep (and then another purchase for Mordor?) that won't be so bad at all. I was expecting to have to spend hundreds of dollars to get back into this whenever I finally did.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
You got all the free shit on the list that you didn't already own. You must already own the expansions prior to Helm's Deep. VIP has nothing to do with it. If you go to your Lotro account page it will list all the expacs you own. MyAccount @ Turbine: Account Management

Don't buy Helm's Deep (it's $20, not $50), just buy the quest pack for points. If you play you'll earn the 99 easily. Or you can just start a fresh toon and do the early deeds and earn the points in like an hour or so. Or just sub and use the points that come with that. 500 I think. The only other expansions you are missing are the last two, Mordor and Minas Morgul. They are $40 bucks each.

sukik

View attachment 288476
Punched in the free stuff code, didn't get everything on the list though. Maybe some of it is only if you're VIP? I plan to get 3 months of VIP when I'm ready to actually get down and focus on this between EQ expacs.

View attachment 288478
Helm's Deep is the only expansion available, as well as these two quest packs. I don't see any of the others.

Thinking it's one of these situations:
-They won't show up unless I'm VIP
-Or maybe it's like EQ and getting the latest thing automatically gives you everything before it (i.e. Helm's Deep will give me prior expacs)
-I got a lot of stuff back in the day, and Helm's Deep being the only one available might mean I bought the earlier ones
-You need to get Helm's Deep before Gondor/Mordor expacs become available? Assuming they were expacs? Or was Helm's Deep the last full expac?

If all I have to spend on this to get the full scope of content is $50 or so for Helm's Deep (and then another purchase for Mordor?) that won't be so bad at all. I was expecting to have to spend hundreds of dollars to get back into this whenever I finally did.
It looks like Helm's Deep is $20 on the newish standing stone games store. It looks like they're transitioning away from the old site. I don't know if those are normal or sale prices, but $20 is a lot cheaper than 4295 points. They use digital river to sell codes for games, which is weird, but I bought Mordor that way when it was released and didn't have a problem. I'm going to buy the Minas Morgul expansion if I make it through Mordor and North Mirkwood, and feel like playing more.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
As Raes said, don''t buy the expansion. At this point you only really need the 99 point quest pack. I think all the extra stuff that came with Helm's Deep got rolled into the base game now anyways so you might literally get nothing for those extra 4200 points.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Wow, thanks for all the input. Saved me $20. I got the quest packs for Mirkwood and Helm's Deep that were listed on there. Was gonna grab the Mordor and Minas Morgul expacs, but I'm not even sure I'll get that far, so I'll hold off on those until later.

VIP is totally worth it to me for one thing in particular: Rested EXP. Leveling is unbearably slow even as early as level 33 without it.

1595904011885.png

Edit: Took a look at the descriptions for these two things, so you can see what the difference is. And as you guys said, it's close to nada. The full expansion gets you a title and a hauberk, that's literally it. Not sure how well thought-out the expansion system for this game is. They should do what EQ did and have every expansion and quest pack up to the most recent one (or two) be rolled into the base game.

Last edited:

sukik

It may look odd now because of the promotion that's giving everything to everyone. The way it normally works: Buying the expansion gives you access to the area, then you can get VIP(aka a normal game subscription) to access the quests, or buy all the quests in game outright. It was their version of free to play, since LOTRO, like many of the games of it's era, were subscription only. Lotro wasn't designed with free to play in mind, so this is what we got.

TLDR: Expansion=access to zones, Subscription(VIP) or Quest Pack=quest access.