Lord of the Rings Online

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone else having issues with the THANKYOUGIFT code? It's telling me "this code has expired" even though the login screen says it's available until August 31st.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Made it through Mordor, Mirkwood, Dale, and starting Erebor. They're getting a lot out of this old engine. I love it.
ScreenShot_2020-07-27_190322_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-07-27_193205_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-07-25_111238_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-07-27_194737_0.jpg
ScreenShot_2020-07-27_194332_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-08-01_210841_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-08-02_150237_0.jpg

ScreenShot_2020-08-03_204308_0.jpg
Soundtrack continues to be great. They reused some Moria tracks in Erebor, which I don't mind, since Moria is one of my favorite MMO expansions of all time when it comes to atmosphere.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
What's the community like these days? I haven't played this game in like 12 years but absolutely loved it back in the day. Is it worth getting into now? And how are the lower level zones to level up in now?

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I'm up to 26 on Brandywine. I see people all over and world chat is quite active. Lots of LFG for end game stuff happening too.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Compared to the early years the lower levels are a breeze for leveling. You'll outlevel most every zone long before finishing deeds. The group steps of the epic quest are, I think, all soloable now too either with solo instances or super buffs. I'm also on brandywine and second what Brikker said about the community there. There's been at least a handful of people in every zone since I came back, although some places feel empty due to the way the game phases locations as you finish quests. The main hubs feel as busy as they ever have. Very little competition for resource nodes or mob tapping though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Made it through Mordor, Mirkwood, Dale, and starting Erebor. They're getting a lot out of this old engine. I love it.
Soundtrack continues to be great. They reused some Moria tracks in Erebor, which I don't mind, since Moria is one of my favorite MMO expansions of all time when it comes to atmosphere.

It's so cool that Erebor / Lonely Mountain is in the game. I figured they'd keep expanding southeast but it looks like they're expanding northeast at the same time.

It kind of makes sense to reuse some Moria tracks in Erebor since they're both old Dwarf strongholds that are mostly underground dungeons.

How much of Mordor is actually in the game? From the maps, it looks like the northwest (dark) area and the Morgul mountain pass. What about the southern/eastern areas like the Sea of Nurnen? I don't see them in the sub-maps. I hope they add all of that eventually.

I'm super stoked to pick this up in a few weeks. At level 33 I'd barely seen anything yet. Gonna be starting at Rivendell and going from there.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I hear they aim to map out most of the areas of Middleearth that are mentioned in LotRO and the Hobbit, so there's much to do yet. The community is very mature and helpful. If you're looking for a game with good lore, good visuals and music, and a laid back mature community then this is the game for you. If you're into zerg rushing end game and doing top teir raids you're probably better of elsewhere. :)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Question, are those two +25% exp items heirloom? I.e. can different characters use them on one account, or should you only get them on the character that's gonna use them? Wondering if I could pass them around to a new character if I try Beorning or something.

Also, I presume they stack for a total benefit of +50%, correct me if I'm wrong though.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I believe they are both bind on equip. I still have some of the older level capped heirlooms and they're bound to the characters that have them.

The only powerlevel item that I can think of off the top of my head that you can share between characters is the Universal Toolkit.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Being it's FTP, naturally you would have to buy them for each character. Also I think only the cloak-slot one gives quest exp. The pocket ones are only crafting and monster exp?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, you buy them per character, also, they don't go all the way up. I think the cloak maxes out at lvl 75 or so and the pocket item at 99. Honestly, I don't think they're worth it. If you're going to be buying something like this, just get the level boost.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
There is currently a buff being given to VIPs:

Recognition: +100% exp gain on monster kills, quests, crafting, legendary items, and mounted combat. Earned crafting experience +25%. +25% mark acquisition.

Active through Aug 13th.

Last edited:

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Are there discounts in the store that are going away at the end of August? Such as, should I forgot ridding skill purchase, with currency, for buying anything first?

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
The expansion quest packs up through Helm's Deep are 99 points until the end of the month. Normally go for 1495.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Leveling is fast as fuck right now with the 100% subscriber exp boost. Wish it was permanent. Up to 38 playing casually. Combat doesn't seem as slow as I remember it but I'm playing a Guardian with 2h and can AE pull shit.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
A friend leveled a guardian a few months back playing "naked" (i.e. only cosmetic armour) and he was usually in zones higher level than he was and never had problems. Pretty good solo class, and if you want to do dungeons you can switch to a tank speck.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
A friend and I are debating on jumping into this for the Legendary server release. How were the previous Legendary servers? Are they worth hopping into for someone who maybe played the first 30 or so levels when LOTRO first released? How is the exp rate nowadays, faster than it originally was? I remember the thing that turned me off about the game originally was that the combat was very "meh" and the progression was a bit too slow with the combat.

If it's worth it, what are the most fun classes to play?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A friend and I are debating on jumping into this for the Legendary server release. How were the previous Legendary servers? Are they worth hopping into for someone who maybe played the first 30 or so levels when LOTRO first released? How is the exp rate nowadays, faster than it originally was? I remember the thing that turned me off about the game originally was that the combat was very "meh" and the progression was a bit too slow with the combat.

If it's worth it, what are the most fun classes to play?

I played it for a couple months, super casually, last year on the normal servers (paid for one month sub, felt like I got my monies worth). It was good enough for 80+ hours and it was better playing with a friend. We got to Angmar (mid 40s & part of the base game) before he lost interest (after about a month). I went on to reach ~70 before moving on. I think they got the world down pretty well, and it made me want to go watch the movies again, every time I played it. I really liked Moria.

The game's FTP model is alright, I guess, and you can grind out points (you get from achievement type things) to spend on xpac unlocks, otherwise they are an additional cost, on top of the monthly sub (mostly). There are guides on how to spend this currency wisely, to get the most bang for your time spent, if you do some searching.

It's probably best to look up opinions from current players on the classes, but I didn't see what they are going to do it with the Legendary server balance. I got the impression that the power of some of the classes swung wildly, xpac to xpac.

"Low level" class opinions (1 to 40ish) during my two months:
I thought I was going to be playing solo, so I picked the Captain (Cappy) at first, as I read they can solo anything, but their kill speed is slower (and that seemed to be the case, when I played). The Captain also has good party buffs, decent heals, and a pet (that becomes just a buff bot at higher levels).

I also played around with every class that I had unlocked (so no experience with Warden and Rune-Keeper). Hunter was the best DPS, followed by Champ. Beorning was slower DPS than Champ, but much better at tanking and can heal while speced for DPS. I guess Minstrel was OP for a while, but nerfed a few years ago (same with Rune- Keeper). Lore-Master and Burglar were different, and not bad.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user