Lord of the Rings Online

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yes, I ended up doing every single deed in that era on my champion and a lot of it on my warden. I wish the game would have had a bit more mainstream following as it was a really enjoyable to explore/grind mindlessly. Think the Tower of Orthanc raid was as high as I got when I finally gave it up. Oh and it was one of the only MMOs where I had maxed crafting for everything.

If it ever got a true graphical reboot I think I'd give it another run since lord knows nothing else in the mmo world is exciting.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I havent played it in a while, but I remember there was something about the fluidity? of the animations maybe? Something along those lines that was just a huge turn off for me. I just remember it giving me Final Fantasy 11 vibes and it killed any desire to play it.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
There is kind of a delay between clicking abilities and them activating. The animations finish before the next ability fires, so it has a weird feel. Whenever I come back I get used to it quicky and it becomes kind of a rhythm. I think that's one thing that helps slow down the combat so it's not as hectic as other games.

It has a nice bonus of being able to two box a healer easily. I can click over to my minstrel, click two heals, and they will fire off one after the other.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I played this shortly after launch and while it was cool, something about the play style or fluidity just didn't do it for me either. Fast forward to the launch of this Treebeard server, and I really enjoyed this game. I think a lot of it had to do with a playing a different class. I played Champion originally, and Hunter this time.

That being said, I stopped after 22 levels, mainly because work picked up, and now WoW SoM took over my time. But I plan on returning over the next few months to continue. I might hold off for the graphics update, but we'll see.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Went to fire this up again. Couldn't find my character or remember server. Searched this thread.... I was on Ithil. Literally one week late. RIP.

"Will Ithil eventually have its character and account data deleted?

Yes. Players have through December 31st, 2021 to transfer their characters and shared items from Ithil. After that time characters and items will no longer be transferrable, and Customer Support will not be able to assist players in recovering those characters or items."

• 1WTF

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Went to fire this up again. Couldn't find my character or remember server. Searched this thread.... I was on Ithil. Literally one week late. RIP.

"Will Ithil eventually have its character and account data deleted?

Yes. Players have through December 31st, 2021 to transfer their characters and shared items from Ithil. After that time characters and items will no longer be transferrable, and Customer Support will not be able to assist players in recovering those characters or items."
That sounds crazy retarded, why not just dump the characters to some random server...

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, it can't cost that much to host character data, and deleting them means a player is less likely to come back.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, it can't cost that much to host character data, and deleting them means a player is less likely to come back.
I lost all mine in this shit....I did find an email to me, but it got sent to the promotional gmail junk folder. Figures.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I should probably check on my character, make sure they aren't on a server that went kaput or something. I can't remember the name of it unfortunately.

Chanur Chanur What big graphics update? Got any info about this?

Also, it's good to hear Treebeard server is doing well. What about the faster progression server though? What expansion is it up to?

Not too keen on slow EXP myself. When I go back I'll probably go back on the live server where I have a character already and just do the progression myself, but it'd be great to do a prog server with other people too.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I should probably check on my character, make sure they aren't on a server that went kaput or something. I can't remember the name of it unfortunately.

Chanur Chanur What big graphics update? Got any info about this?

Also, it's good to hear Treebeard server is doing well. What about the faster progression server though? What expansion is it up to?

Not too keen on slow EXP myself. When I go back I'll probably go back on the live server where I have a character already and just do the progression myself, but it'd be great to do a prog server with other people too.
Hope its true.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Shadowfax: Rise of Isengard, Level 75 (fast)

Treebeard: Mines of Moria, Level 60 (slow)

When the updated graphics drop I'm definitely going back in.

McCheese

On Treebeard's global chat the other night, people were saying that Shadowfax is a ghost town. I think they said it averages about 30 people online at peak time. Treebeard seems to be 300ish at peak.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
On Treebeard's global chat the other night, people were saying that Shadowfax is a ghost town. I think they said it averages about 30 people online at peak time. Treebeard seems to be 300ish at peak.
Damn I thought about coming back to Treebeard but those kinda numbers make me not want to bother.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I came back to this recently, rolled a captain and ran to 43 as fast as I could. I forgot how many quests it takes to level up. Playing on landroval which is apparently an RP server. It’s where all y characters from the last decade live. I think where it used to play merged into it maybe?

Either way I don’t communicate with anyone and just solo content. Seems to be a decent population - I constantly see others running around my area though it’s probably the only people playing. Maybe I’ll transfer somewhere someday. I just want to solo anywho.

Replaying content I did in 2008 is fun, I still remember a good amount of it but it’s also fresh in a way

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Damn I thought about coming back to Treebeard but those kinda numbers make me not want to bother.

How are live server populations at this point? My 33 hunter is on one, maybe Landroval, that name rings a bell. Last time I logged in, which was admittedly like 2018, there were a lot of people running around Bree and Rivendell. Those might be central hub areas, though, and not representative of the game world at large.

I'm really looking forward to getting back into this too, might as well do it when the graphics update drops.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How are live server populations at this point? My 33 hunter is on one, maybe Landroval, that name rings a bell. Last time I logged in, which was admittedly like 2018, there were a lot of people running around Bree and Rivendell. Those might be central hub areas, though, and not representative of the game world at large.

I'm really looking forward to getting back into this too, might as well do it when the graphics update drops.
Im actually going to "try" it when the graphics update drops and I know Im not the only one. So I imagine it'll have a healthy population, regardless, at that point. The longevity of the population would be the only thing in question.

• 1Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>

Im actually going to "try" it when the graphics update drops and I know Im not the only one. So I imagine it'll have a healthy population, regardless, at that point. The longevity of the population would be the only thing in question.
tough to find population info for the game. i've seen this site referenced: Lotrostats

there's also this :

and

McCheese

It'll get an overall boost when the Amazon Lord of the Rings show comes out. I think the consensus is SSG is planning updates and marketing push to coincide with that, which makes a lot of sense.

I don't know what other sever populations are like. There are a couple global chat channels, and people tend to talk in them frequently. Plus, it's much more of a "journey" than focus on endgame like WoW, so I see a lot of (I assume) alts running around leveling zones. So it doesn't feel as dead as you'd expect a 300ish online to feel.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It'll get an overall boost when the Amazon Lord of the Rings show comes out. I think the consensus is SSG is planning updates and marketing push to coincide with that, which makes a lot of sense.

I don't know what other sever populations are like. There are a couple global chat channels, and people tend to talk in them frequently. Plus, it's much more of a "journey" than focus on endgame like WoW, so I see a lot of (I assume) alts running around leveling zones. So it doesn't feel as dead as you'd expect a 300ish online to feel.

I noticed that about LOTRO. While EQ and WoW really kind of "start" at endgame (or at least, getting to max level is just step one of the overall journey), LOTRO is the opposite. There's very little endgame content, at least when I checked in on it. There was like, one 12-man raid at the end of each era, IIRC? Regardless, there wasn't much for raids. So the game is the leveling, pretty much. And then leveling an alt, trying different routes, exploring, etc. I guess reaching max level is sort of like the end, or at least nearing the end. So it isn't surprising that 300 people online = mostly people leveling, where on an EQ live server it'd be like 5 people leveling and 295 people sitting at max level.