Lord of the Rings Online

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Never had any problem with the launcher myself. Try the LotRO reddit or Discord, they might be able to help.

As for the game, I finally know what I'm doing now, and I'm having a blast. I'm just really, really enjoying questing, and leveling at an enjoyable rate (not rushing to max level as with WoW and other MMOs). And it looks gorgeous, even for an 11 year old game.

But then again I bought the Lifetime pack back in the day so I have automatic VIP status, so it may be different for folks who have to sub or buy a ton of shit via LotRO points.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Damn thats awesome

Having a lot of fun playing this again. Only 12 at the moment but something about it feels different from other mmo's more relaxed and simple

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So is it me or is this game in some kind of resurgence?

I get that it's always been around but seems to be much more popular lately. Maybe it's just that a bunch of forum Bros started playing it again?

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I had a lifetime sub back in the day fired up the game after reading all the posts here and I had 55k coins waiting for me so brought a few account wide stuff and the expansions and still got 38k left to spend. I tried to get into but the combat is just so awkard and like most F2P games the UI messages and layout is just really anoying, they bomabrd you with messages about random features that to be honest I have no idea if I need or do need to use at my level.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
they defiantly need a buy the latest expansion and get all the previous ones with it.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Yeah is that not the case with this? I'm going to need to buy every expansion separate?

Also idk why everyone hates the combat. I kill things pretty easily but the quick flow of it no global CD and the chain moves that work off of crits and what not are fun. WoW's combat is 1000x more boring than this imo

Also, anyone gonna be on Arkenstone in a little bit?

Edit: Link below includes Moria, Mirkwood, Isengard and Rohan expansions for $40.00
LOTRO Market

Last edited:

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I've been playing this for a few weeks now, after years and years away, and yes, the combat is a bit "clunkier" than say WoW. I think I've narrowed it down to what it is, and I think it boils down to a certain rigidity, or lack of "buffering" between ceasing to move and activating a skill (most skills can only be activated standing still), and between activating skill after skill.

For example, when running towards a mob and stopping, it takes a fraction of a second for your character to actually stop, which you need to wait for before activating a skill for that skill to actually activate (and not get an error message). Can be a bit annoying at times. WoW does not have this "buffering" problem, or whatever you want to call it.

That said, once you do start to get a hang of it, it does become a bit easier to deal with.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
You can get the 4 pack bundle for cheaper elsewhere. I just wish there were more variants, since I already own Mirkwood and Moria. Also, they just put out a letter talking about doing some combat revamps for all classes, no idea if it's just skill tweaking or actual functionality.

Lord of the Rings Online : Quad Pack

17 bucks.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
You can get the 4 pack bundle for cheaper elsewhere. I just wish there were more variants, since I already own Mirkwood and Moria. Also, they just put out a letter talking about doing some combat revamps for all classes, no idea if it's just skill tweaking or actual functionality.

Lord of the Rings Online : Quad Pack

17 bucks.
This is all legit? Il prob order it right now if so

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I went on a 25 email back and forth with their CS, trying everything imaginable to get this game working, short of buying a new router. No dice. Stupid launcher.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It's been a decade at least, but I think the back of my brain remembers the weirdness of the launcher. My conscious mind has certainly blotted all details about it. It wouldn't work for no discernible reason, then sometimes work, then stop, then work. No coherence from day to day.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The graphics overhaul is awesome. This was always a beautiful looking game, so I'm glad they're trying to keep up and avoid letting it get too dated.

Endymion

Trakanon Raider
There's also a bonus EXP event for subscribers happening this weekend. I've been having the itch to check the game out again lately (specifically the environments) so I just subscribed and started up a new Runekeeper. Never made it past Moria so I'm hoping before I have to shell out money for the quad pack. :p

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
There's also a bonus EXP event for subscribers happening this weekend. I've been having the itch to check the game out again lately (specifically the environments) so I just subscribed and started up a new Runekeeper. Never made it past Moria so I'm hoping before I have to shell out money for the quad pack. :p
Damn I just remembered there was. Playyed for a little during bonus xp but was gone the whole weekend