Lovely, Dark, and Deep (2023)

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Lovely, Dark, and Deep (2023)

Tagline: She owes this land a body

Genre: Horror

Director: Teresa Sutherland

Cast: Georgina Campbell, Nick Blood, Wai Ching Ho, Edgar Morais, Ana Sofia Martins, Soren Hellerup, Maria de Sá, Mick Greer, Ivory Lee Smith, Paul S. Tracey, Raquel Rocha Vieira, Celia Williams

Release: 2023-07-23

Runtime: 87

Plot: Lennon, a new back-country ranger, travels alone through the dangerous wilderness, hoping to uncover the origins of a tragedy that has haunted her since she was a child.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Same writer from The Wind and Midnight Mass, which I enjoyed both. Think that's the girl from Barbarian, too. Might be worth watching. Comes to streaming on 2-22 I think.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Easy shut off 2/3rd through. This is one where the reviews are modernized. First time I got caught out in a long time.

Usually I can gauge a good watch by digging through reviews. This one completely got by me on the RT. Beware. Act 1 might rope you in, the shit sandwich comes later.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Easy shut off 2/3rd through. This is one where the reviews are modernized. First time I got caught out in a long time.

Usually I can gauge a good watch by digging through reviews. This one completely got by me on the RT. Beware. Act 1 might rope you in, the shit sandwich comes later.
Well that sucks. What service is it on, or did you sail the high seas? Probably still going to watch it because I guess I'm a sucker for indie horror.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well that sucks. What service is it on, or did you sail the high seas? Probably still going to watch it because I guess I'm a sucker for indie horror.

Amazon. They tried to make something fresh but act 2 starts incoherent, by the time you get to act 3 for some answers the intrigue from act 1 is gone.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Amazon. They tried to make something fresh but act 2 starts incoherent, by the time you get to act 3 for some answers the intrigue from act 1 is gone.
I guess I'll sit down and watch it this evening so I know what you're talking about. Thoroughly sucks though because Perkins isn't a bad director, I would like those other movies.

Edit: sorry was having a senior moment. What The hell movie am I thinking of that Oz Perkins did recently?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So watched this tonight. It was OK, but like jayrebb jayrebb said, stumbles in the final half. I mean I like the idea that they we're trying to do something with the whole missing 411 stuff, and I guess you can use your imagination as to what it might be. I give them props for at least trying to do something original, but I also kept thinking it was a blend of a couple of different other movies I've seen in the past, specifically Jacob's Ladder.

It wasn't bad and I don't feel like wasted my time, but it's not the greatest horror movies since sliced bread or something. It's well shot and looks good, it just could have been quite a bit tighter, especially pacing. I will say I couldn't tell where it was going, and it seems like that might be enough for me to at least give it an okay. If a movie can keep me guessing till the end, it's at least done something well.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So watched this tonight. It was OK, but like jayrebb jayrebb said, stumbles in the final half. I mean I like the idea that they we're trying to do something with the whole missing 411 stuff, and I guess you can use your imagination as to what it might be. I give them props for at least trying to do something original, but I also kept thinking it was a blend of a couple of different other movies I've seen in the past, specifically Jacob's Ladder.

It wasn't bad and I don't feel like wasted my time, but it's not the greatest horror movies since sliced bread or something. It's well shot and looks good, it just could have been quite a bit tighter, especially pacing. I will say I couldn't tell where it was going, and it seems like that might be enough for me to at least give it an okay. If a movie can keep me guessing till the end, it's at least done something well.

Somehow already falling below an hour and half on runtime, yet felt like a 2 to 2.5 hour movie.

You could feel the pacing problems in Act 2 as soon as you got there. Since it had nothing to do with length of the movie, you can assert some scenes probably just weren't very impactful and that's what made it drag. You had scenes wandering around the woods with nothing going on after the camping walkie talkie scene which really dragged. The drag in an already short movie is a sign that maybe sticking to some horror tropes wouldn't have been a bad idea. Or taking 10 minutes off the runtime bringing it down to 1h 20min would maybe have done the trick. I went in with high expectations based on glowing reviews, and the trailer which was really good.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database