Luther: The Fallen Sun (2023)

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Luther: The Fallen Sun (2023)

Genre: Crime, Drama

Director: Jamie Payne

Cast: Idris Elba, Dermot Crowley, Cynthia Erivo, Andy Serkis, Jess Liaudin, Einar Kuusk

Release: 2023-02-24

Plot: A gruesome serial killer is terrorizing London while brilliant but disgraced detective John Luther sits behind bars. Haunted by his failure to capture the cyber psychopath who now taunts him, Luther decides to break out of prison to finish the job by any means necessary.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Hopefully they don't woke this into shit, because Luther deserves better than that.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Just watched it with the wife. We both really enjoyed it. Sad it wasn't another season but a movie is better than nothing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Just watched it with the wife. We both really enjoyed it. Sad it wasn't another season but a movie is better than nothing.

Last "season" was only 2 episodes.

Not even sure what makes this a "movie" instead of just a single episode season

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
British TV seasons are short anyhow. Even their chat shows (think Graham Norton) have short seasons. I watch a lot of it now since I'm married to a brit but it's really annoying when it's a great series.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ehhhh this was middling at best, either edited weird or maybe it was the pacing but felt way too long.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This was hilarious. I especially loved the Piccadilly circus scene where cars were just driving through as if the drivers were in The Happening. Allowing the guy to escape. All by design lol.

And the cop broad deciding "Whew, I better save my energy and stop chasing"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Luther was a good character and they could have really nailed a Seven type thing, but there were so many stupid fucking moments like the ones alluded to above. These 'gotcha' moments are so predictable and they put them in movies because they think they're like "WOW HE GAWT AWAY UNREAL, except the movie is 2 hours and its 30 mins in of course he fucking got away, vs Seven where he actually walks in and turns himself in and you're like 'da fuck is happening here!"

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Made the lady watch the 5 seasons of Luther, in preparation for the movie. She felt a lot of the storylines were fairly ridiculous, but Alice was the one thing she really didn't like. Rewatching Luther again for the first time, I'd probably agree, most of the storylines are pretty insane. London is apparently just crawling with a ton of Jack Ripper's. Also, season 4 was just "what the f" weird, as it got retconned essentially.

Still there is something about the show I just really, really enjoy. It really does have some stand out episodes and moments through the brief five seasons, and the show has always been decently cast, with Elba just killing it.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it. They spent some legitimate money on the movie, and it shows for most of it. It has a runtime of 2 hours 10 min, but it does feel considerably longer. The villain is your typical Luther over-the-top all-universe serial killer, just unbelievably capable of horrific violence. In many ways it's a ridiculous movie, but that's par for Luther. Even the lady thought it was a solid movie, despite not really liking the show. Either way, give me more Luther.

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database