M3GAN (2022)

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 2 Votes
Title: M3GAN (2022)

Tagline: She's more than a toy she's family.

Genre: Horror, Science Fiction, Thriller

Director: Gerard Johnstone

Cast: Jenna Davis, Amie Donald, Violet McGraw, Allison Williams, Ronny Chieng, Brian Jordan Alvarez, Jen Van Epps, Stephane Garneau-Monten, Michael Saccente, Arlo Green, Kira Josephson, Jack Cassidy

Release: 2022-12-28

Runtime: 102

Plot: A brilliant toy company roboticist uses artificial intelligence to develop M3GAN, a life-like doll programmed to emotionally bond with her newly orphaned niece. But when the doll's programming works too well, she becomes overprotective of her new dog with terrifying results.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I’m curious about this, but unless there’s a scene where M3gan upgrades herself somehow, it always makes me wonder why in universe roboticists make small compact machines that have more strength than something that size should have.

like put a physical limiter on it bud

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I’m curious about this, but unless there’s a scene where M3gan upgrades herself somehow, it always makes me wonder why in universe roboticists make small compact machines that have more strength than something that size should have.

like put a physical limiter on it bud

Not sure why that doesn't make sense to you. Safety is the only real reason you'd want to make your product physically weaker, but that has nothing to do with their size. There would be far more practical applications to have it be stronger than a child of roughly the same size

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I wouldn't be surprised if they use the old "repurposed military hardware" trope to explain why she is a killbot lol

• 2Like

Goonsquad Officer
The real scifi is in the power source for sapient machines capable of combat. All the processing power and armor would weigh so much it would damage furniture. Make so much heat. Need so much battery etc etc etc

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The real scifi is in the power source for sapient machines capable of combat. All the processing power and armor would weigh so much it would damage furniture. Make so much heat. Need so much battery etc etc etc

1672095884997.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

velk

Trakanon Raider

Why the hell would you want it to be sapient ? Decades of anime aside, the real kill-bot is almost certainly going to a be cheap micro-drone with a shaped charge on it. About the only thing sapience would be useful for is passing the buck from whichever police force deployed it ( It's not OUR fault it went to the wrong address and murdered someone, we will definitely put our killbot on trial for this heinous crime ;p )

Goonsquad Officer
Oh I just mean all these scifi bots can learn and think. Perception alone is going to be ultra power intensive let alone full thinking. Which is more size and more weight

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I liked it, packed theater seemed to enjoy it, but I don't know if anyone needs to run out and see it.

It has a high Rotten Tomatoes right now, but its on the back of everyone agreeing the movie is a pretty solid C+/B- .

Its 100 minutes long, so it has a good pace, and I thought the whole 3rd act was great. The movie honestly plays the whole premise a lot more straight than I expected from the trailers, but it is not without it's winks at the camera and funny moments. I wouldn't call it scary at all, the scares are less horror and more thriller level.

If you want to get out of the house and catch a matinee or something and dont want to spend your whole day watching Avatar, this isn't a bad watch. Otherwise, catch it on streaming in the comfort of your own home.

An aside, between Violent Night last month, M3GAN this month, and Cocaine Bear next month, Universal is really killing it right now.

• 1Like

Caliane

brad jones/cinema snob actually had some good things to say about this. b+

This was produced by James Wan, and writen by the writer of Malignant.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I heard a good cam is out? Not sure if it's a rip or not.

K, saw it, rip's solid.

It's fine. It's kind of stock but it also doesn't overstay it's welcome with the traditional 90 minute horror runtime. There's some good themes here regarding the modern career woman and children becoming addicted to devices. Megan herself is really solid. The director knew how to use a look or head turn on the doll in any particular scene to convey a range of emotions or subtext. If you've seen Child's Play or even the first couple of sequels you know what I mean.

It's got a couple basic problems. The first is that the technology presented is world-altering. That can kind of take you out a the movie when there's a disconnect between what we're doing with the thing presented and the actual implications. There are themes of robotics, AI, artificial life that are just kind of lightly brushed up against so if you've got a bunch of experience with that from other works this movie doesn't do anything with them. What I had the biggest problem with was our female lead, Gemma. She's a believable character but in the authenticity of a career minded woman there's not a lot of sympathy for her to be had. In Child's Play we have Katherine Hick's doing the best she can do for her son as a single mother living in the city. Sympathetic. Gemma is the cool wine aunt that is living her best life and that best life doesn't include the niece she's found herself responsible for. There's an arc there but I found her really difficult to relate to and I have an aunt like her.

I'd call it something like a C+/B-. Easy rental, mediocre theater experience.

• 2Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I’d say it was fairly average. Being PG 13, it’s not that violent with most deaths occurring off camera.

if anything I’d say the film is perfect to get younger audiences interested in the horror genre.

As previously pointed out, yeah the film does have a strong cautionary message about children escaping reality with tech and society as a whole doing the same to a lesser degree (think using Alexa in your home)

I’d say overall it’s better than the child’s play reboot but nowhere near the fun of the first three films

• 1Like

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Just another boring doll movie. It brought nothing new to the table. Nothing literally any doll movie before it hasn't already done. Yet, another movie that didn't need to be made.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database