Macbook Pro and Thunderbolt Display

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have any experience with either of these items?

I'm contemplating buying (for my wife).

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
It's pretty good. The monitor itself has a shitload of ports and gigabit ethernet so it extends the functionality beyond just plugging into a monitor.

I'd recommend getting some sort of laptop stand for the macbook pro as well.

The downside however is of course the costs. The integrated thunderbolt dock makes it worth it, but you're still paying the Apple tax.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina Display) and a Thunderbolt display. The thing that's most jarring is the look of the Thunderbolt display compared to the Retina Display laptop. I am not sure exactly what magicery is going on with the Retina Display, but it makes the Thunderbolt look pretty dull and lifeless by comparison. I would honestly wait until Retina Display Thunderbolts become available, or look for a far superior monitor for the price. After all, the Thunderbolt Display is 2+ year old tech and IMO ripe for refresh.

Thunderbolt Display: Everything We Know | MacRumors

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Keep in mind that you can use whatever monitor you want, just get a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable instead.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
I think those 4k Thunderbolt 2 screens are going to be unbearably expensive for the (non-rich) household.

The Asus / Sharp ones tip over $3000, I wouldn't be surprised if the Apple ones are closer to $4500.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wholeheartedly agree, which is why I said to find another monitor that's far superior to the regular Thunderbolt for cheaper cost. (Thunderbolt is about a grand)

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Yea, don't buy the thunderbolt monitors right now. They are way over due for a refresh, and honestly, they won't look as good as the retina screen. Not that they'll look bad...but it just won't be the same.

And you can bet your ass there will be an "apple tax" on the new ones....saying that as an Apple employee
biggrin.png

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina Display) and a Thunderbolt display. The thing that's most jarring is the look of the Thunderbolt display compared to the Retina Display laptop. I am not sure exactly what magicery is going on with the Retina Display, but it makes the Thunderbolt look pretty dull and lifeless by comparison. I would honestly wait until Retina Display Thunderbolts become available, or look for a far superior monitor for the price. After all, the Thunderbolt Display is 2+ year old tech and IMO ripe for refresh.

Thunderbolt Display: Everything We Know | MacRumors
You should say retina a few more times. You do know there's no magical trickery apple is doing there, it's just an IPS screen with a higher than usual resolution. Ofcourse that going from 2560x1600 on 13/15" to probably 1920x1080 @ 24/27 is gonna look like shit.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You should say retina a few more times. You do know there's no magical trickery apple is doing there, it's just an IPS screen with a higher than usual resolution. Ofcourse that going from 2560x1600 on 13/15" to probably 1920x1080 @ 24/27 is gonna look like shit.
It's far more than simple screen resolution. The color has significantly more depth to it.

FWIW, the Thunderbolt is an LED backlit 2560 x 1440 IPS panel.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Does anyone know any way to disable the internal display on a 2013 rMBP? I was using the following on my Air when I had it, but it doesn't seem to work anymore in Mavericks.

sudo nvram boot-args="iog=0x0"
Reboot
Close lid with external monitor attached
Wake up with external keyboard and mouse
Profit!

Seems to be broken now.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Balls. I don't think I can revert a 2013 rMBP back to ML, can I? They were released with Mavericks.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
Possibly. I had to wipe the entire OS, then when internet recovery kicked in it went to ML rather than Mavericks.

Maybe if you have a time machine backup pre-Mavericks?