Malazan Book Of The Fallen

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, his whole “sometimes life just goes on” conceit is convenient for him to not resolve things. Luckily his world is so massive with so much going on, many of those aren’t noticed until a second or third read through.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
How is Forge of the high Mage? The 4th in the Ascendancy series.
I'll quote myself ...no that's not weird.......

I finished 'Forge of the High Mage' last night. This is book 4 (of 4) of the path of ascendancy so you would think there would be a conclusion. I previously wrote that book 3 read like bad fan fiction. Well I am happy to report that this read like a genuine adventure! We get to reconnect with all our old friends as they go on a merry adventure. There does seem to be about 100 pages missing of this story, the part where something happens.
Your life isn't any better for reading this book than it was before. It does read well but it's pretty much a waste. I would not pay money for this for sure. I guess if you are bored and need something Malazan to read , this fits the bill but wow what a waste.

Tldr version, I would not pay for it but you won't be mad about reading it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Oh, since the topic is bumped this also popped up on the Facebook group. Should be on the front page, but they have a bunch of signed / numbered in stock.

I need to find a list of SubPress and PS Publishing titles. I’m 95% sure I have everything except 1-2 side novellas and maybe one ICE book.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Finished up Forge of the High Mage.

I think ICE has two more books planned. One for Dassem if I were to guess and one for...Surly? IDK. I kinda want him to stop. This book felt damaging to overall lore of the Malazan universe.

Moon's Spawn was swarmed by scavengers, there's a whole book about it written by the same author. Malazan Empire didn't care then? But they care enough in the past to leave it guarded by a clan of werewolves and werebears? No way they are up to the task long term.

Tayschrenn going super saiyan and then super duper saiyan was ridiculous. He was chased by the entire cult of D'rek in the previous book, is that not enough to push him past his limits?

Jan and Janul felt tacked on just to show how manipulative Mallick Rel is. How is he still referred to as the Jhistal priest if Mael took it away?

What's the exact timeline here? Did Mael go off and befriend Tehol soon after this?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Finished up Forge of the High Mage.

I think ICE has two more books planned. One for Dassem if I were to guess and one for...Surly? IDK. I kinda want him to stop. This book felt damaging to overall lore of the Malazan universe.

Moon's Spawn was swarmed by scavengers, there's a whole book about it written by the same author. Malazan Empire didn't care then? But they care enough in the past to leave it guarded by a clan of werewolves and werebears? No way they are up to the task long term.

Tayschrenn going super saiyan and then super duper saiyan was ridiculous. He was chased by the entire cult of D'rek in the previous book, is that not enough to push him past his limits?

Jan and Janul felt tacked on just to show how manipulative Mallick Rel is. How is he still referred to as the Jhistal priest if Mael took it away?

What's the exact timeline here? Did Mael go off and befriend Tehol soon after this?
Thank you for your sacrifice. 🙏

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I just finished a reread of Dust of Dreams and can’t find my copy of crippled god. Jimmies maximum rustled.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Hope this link works. It's 100% bad ass!

Not my work, but this guy is amazing.

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Yea that’s pretty cool. I saw this one posted on Reddit a while back.

IMG_0820.jpeg

Edit: that’s not the full image, dunno why I suck at Reddit and can’t pull the image from there. Here’s the link

IMG_0821.jpeg

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Yea that’s pretty cool. I saw this one posted on Reddit a while back.

View attachment 515038
Edit: that’s not the full image, dunno why I suck at Reddit and can’t pull the image from there. Here’s the link

View attachment 515039
Nice! My wife knows I love SE and asked me why it was so good. So then I started explaining gods, lizards with sword arms, a sword that is also a prison plane with a giant wagon, walking undead that can travel underground as dust , etc. The more I explained, the stranger she looked at me. Got to love epic fiction.

• 1Worf

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I can’t remember if that is the artist the fan base was pushing to illustrate the new versions by that Euro house. Need to find that link, I’m on their mail list. The (A) Facebook group was all clamoring for them to be contracted. Looked a little different though, maybe I can find that thread. Maybe it was Reddit.

oh here we go.. Broken Binding:

This is kind of cool:

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Forgot to post : I'm doing re-read #3 of the main 10. Probably add God is not willing as well. Last time took 4 months. Realizing the health scare last year got some of my memories of these books too so in part it's like reading them for the first time ...again? lol

Kinda like the joke, what's the best part of Alzheimer's ? You can hide your own easter eggs!

• 1Like

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Finished up Forge of the High Mage. I agree with previous assessments, it does read like fan fiction. Despite the quality, I have to imagine Erickson has “signed off” on these books. These guys built their world together role playing it all out. Even if the quality isn’t comparable, the story and events happened, right?

I’m a sucker for everything Malazan, so I’ll keep reading Esslemont’s work. I’m thinking the next book will be the Seven Cities campaign and the founding of the bridgeburners. Hopefully he doesn’t totally fuck that up.

Think I’m gonna revisit the Kharakanas books. Didn’t care for Fall of Light the first time, maybe I’ll like it better the second time around.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Finished up Forge of the High Mage. I agree with previous assessments, it does read like fan fiction. Despite the quality, I have to imagine Erickson has “signed off” on these books. These guys built their world together role playing it all out. Even if the quality isn’t comparable, the story and events happened, right?

I’m a sucker for everything Malazan, so I’ll keep reading Esslemont’s work. I’m thinking the next book will be the Seven Cities campaign and the founding of the bridgeburners. Hopefully he doesn’t totally fuck that up.

Think I’m gonna revisit the Kharakanas books. Didn’t care for Fall of Light the first time, maybe I’ll like it better the second time around.

SubPress just announced a third printingt of Gardens and Deadhouse Gates due to issues with the original second printing. So if anyone was interested in picking up some really nice copies for your shelf.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

I won't stop reading IE's books, I like anything in this universe. I didn't like Kharakanas books either, think I gave up mid 2 (or maybe 1) as it seemed like he was rambling. I'll give it another try when he finishes.

I'm in book 3-4 now of the main 10. Funny , 3rd reread and it's still AWESOME!

Also I went right to this post when I saw it was new. I thought it was new news on a book. Now I got blue balls. Lol

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm halfway through Reapers gale and the post modern/Marxist philosophical ramblings of the characters internal dialogs are getting to be a bit much.

Its an interesting world, fun pantheon, interesting magic system and it has a lot of fun characters. But the man really doesn't like anything traditional in the sense of gender roles, social status, western thought, capitalism etc.

At this point I want a lot of the characters to just die so they'll stop talking. And in a lot of cases, that might just happen.