MARCH - Retro Game Nomination - Let's play!

Siliconemelons

Post them up, begin

If you want a "type of game" - how about? Movie based vidya gayums

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Star_Wars_-_The_Empire_Strikes_Back_-_Atari_2600.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
seems like the months where we play RPGs end up generating a lot more discussion. in particular, i think ones with a decent amount of party customization will get us talking. i would nominate my favorite, Final Fantasy 5, but we just played Final Fantasy 1 a few months ago. so how about one that i've never played through, but always meant to? i nominate Tactics Ogre

maybe Pokemon would work too, maybe that should be on the ballot too if anyone agrees. Gold / Silver being the best Pokemon IMO.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Down with console jrpgs. Eye of the Beholder (any in the series) or hell any SSI gold box game really. Maybe some Dark Sun?!

Edit: Someone else had also recommended Betrayal at Krondor a whlie back. Another great RPG.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

RPGs are a a double edged sword on RGOTM - they take a lot of time, and if it his badly on people's schedule there is no movement, CONTRA for its anniversary month is a little slow also- but the idea was maybe get speed runs etc.

So maybe we all are just busy with all our "bros" and going to parades and becoming one with our black selves or something.

However - we could go ultra nerd and read the books connected to betrayal at krondor and play the game also haha- mmm nerdism+1

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
RPGs have the benefit of requiring little skill. Games like Contra and similar action games require either a) a ton of skill b) insane amounts of practice to memorize enemy layouts and patterns. When we were kids this was fine because we'd bang our heads against the games for hours until we got good. Nowadays, I think people play a punishing retro game, die repeatedly for an hour, then put it down in frustration. There's too much else out there to make banging your head against a hard game worthwhile.

With RPGs, even people who suck at retro games (myself included) can plug away little by little over the month, since it's largely about time and story with few, if any, real skill blocks.

Szlia

i nominate Tactics Ogre
I played the PSP version of this during train commutes. So I played it one hour a day, five days a week and it took me I think a couple months to reach one of the endings and for a long while after that I was doing aternative paths, triggering secret events, etc, etc.... This is one hell of a content rich game (and Otaku level of retarded as 99% of the secret conditions that trigger events are impossible to find without a guide). So yeah... maybe not a great Retro Game of the Month pick.

I would be down for some Betrayal at Krondor though... assuming finding a version that runs on a modern PC is no major headache.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I played the PSP version of this during train commutes. So I played it one hour a day, five days a week and it took me I think a couple months to reach one of the endings and for a long while after that I was doing aternative paths, triggering secret events, etc, etc.... This is one hell of a content rich game (and Otaku level of retarded as 99% of the secret conditions that trigger events are impossible to find without a guide). So yeah... maybe not a great Retro Game of the Month pick.

I would be down for some Betrayal at Krondor though... assuming finding a version that runs on a modern PC is no major headache.

Hm alright

Well then, I nominate Pokemon instead. Original GameBoy version (Red/Blue/Yellow) or the GameBoy Advance remakes of those (FireRed / LeafGreen). Playing a version patched so all 151 Pokemon are catchable in one save file allowed / encouraged. "Pokemon Throwback" being the best of those that I've found.