Mare of Easttown

dizzie

Triggered Happy
They tied things up nicely in the end. Show was great from start to finish, they kept things simple without writing retarded characters and plot twists. Winslett was brilliant but there was some excellent supporting acting all over.

Probably going to win more than a few awards, deservedly so.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They tied things up nicely in the end. Show was great from start to finish, they kept things simple without writing retarded characters and plot twists. Winslett was brilliant but there was some excellent supporting acting all over.

Probably going to win more than a few awards, deservedly so.
Good but as I said before just god-awful depressing. Not Leftovers depressing, but still depressing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I agree. It's very good but I don't think I would recommend it to people just because it's such a bummer.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Great show with a great ending. Im glad they didnt leave it with any loose ends. It ruins a show thats suppose to be only one season but then they bring it back for a second because of the ratings. They definitely threw me off with how it all played out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Generally I like detective stuff and the acting in this is good but shits irritating. I'm in episode 3 and Mare is dumb as shit. Yeah, her life is a mess I get it.

The tipping point for me was her racing over to her exes place to ask him about sleeping with the dead girl. C'mon man. It would have been so much better if she had to repeatedly bring people in just to have someone else interview them because they are friends and relatives. Right after that she basically performs magic finding the bullet. If they have it be another the priest did it thing...

I'm going to finish it, I'm hoping it gets better.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Generally I like detective stuff and the acting in this is good but shits irritating. I'm in episode 3 and Mare is dumb as shit. Yeah, her life is a mess I get it.

The tipping point for me was her racing over to her exes place to ask him about sleeping with the dead girl. C'mon man. It would have been so much better if she had to repeatedly bring people in just to have someone else interview them because they are friends and relatives. Right after that she basically performs magic finding the bullet. If they have it be another the priest did it thing...

I'm going to finish it, I'm hoping it gets better.
Its a really good show. It takes time to sink in that no the writers aren't making people look dumb as shit. People in real life are truly dumb as shit. Especially so in rural places.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Fwiw I didn't take that as her accusing him, but as being pissed that he lied to her. Rightfully so. Given the family's troubles and the potential mess that situation could have brought down I'd be surprised if she didn't just run straight over there.

I do think this show got more praise than maybe it deserves. It's fine but it's not some masterpiece.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I finished this finally. It's worse than I expected. Basically the entire final 2 episodes made no sense if you actually paid attention to what people said as things went along. Everything, starting with the bathtub scene, made no sense.

The bathtub scene is the perfect example. Tubs overflowing, she is sleeping. Sure, it could happen. I've been that tired before. Then they show the clearly mottled, ashen skin of the kid floating in the tub. Surprise! He's just holding his breath. Shits stupid. They do this repeatedly in different ways.

I'm glossing over almost every male being a bad guy in some sense with only the developmentally broken kids and moms clearly fucked up by the men being left.

In the end she did almost no detective work, stumbling on answers no differently than the way her partner had. Almost the only sensible character was the chief of police.

• 1Picard

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Almost as insightful as Cersei isn't a villain.

Were you painting your toenails and gossiping on twitter the entire time you were watching the show?

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
My wife made me watch this with her. To me it was 4/10 at best. But in terms of the shit we watch when it’s her turn it’s better than anything she likes.

literally every person in this woman’s life is a criminal or drug addict. The shit with her daughter and the black lesbian relationship that had nothing to do with anything was forced at best. There was about three too many twists. If it ended an episode sooner it would have been better.

a few good parts. But it also swapped from true detective season one grit to a happy go lucky comedy in the same episodes and the tone was fucked.

iirc in one 15 minute period we saw drug addict children being locked up in a dungeon, a quirky affair revealed at a funeral, a non stop laughing fest with a 90s sitcom background music, and a YA lesbian breakup.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The shit with her daughter and the black lesbian relationship that had nothing to do with anything was forced at best.
I did enjoy this, but the above also crossed my mind. You could completely erase the daughter's existence and the story wouldn't need changes. Token gay character.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
My wife made me watch this with her. To me it was 4/10 at best. But in terms of the shit we watch when it’s her turn it’s better than anything she likes.

literally every person in this woman’s life is a criminal or drug addict. The shit with her daughter and the black lesbian relationship that had nothing to do with anything was forced at best. There was about three too many twists. If it ended an episode sooner it would have been better.

a few good parts. But it also swapped from true detective season one grit to a happy go lucky comedy in the same episodes and the tone was fucked.

iirc in one 15 minute period we saw drug addict children being locked up in a dungeon, a quirky affair revealed at a funeral, a non stop laughing fest with a 90s sitcom background music, and a YA lesbian breakup.
For sure, the story could have been tightened up a lot.

Kate sold the show pretty hardcore in my eyes. I knew a woman who was as bedraggled and beatdown as Mare was, and Kate nailed it in spades. Kate also nailed all the other acting bits perfectly. Without Kate...it would have been a pretty forgettable show.

As you your point about every person in her life being a criminal or drug addict? It is on point. My relatives are a rogue's gallery of absolute master fuckups. My sibling hatched a plan to con my mother out of cash, and it backfired in a stunningly awesome way. See...recently, my dad died. My sibling thought there would be some grand inheritance coming her way. Nope! I spent his money on geriatric healthcare for him. That was always the plan. He died comfortably and at peace. It was his money, after all...not for something selfish like an unearned inheritance payday. The cash burn in the last few years was absolutely amazing...and he had great insurance.

Oh yeah, sibling also found out that mom is going to make decent cash on the sale of a house and tried to squirm in on that. Sorry, chuckles, that cash is earmarked for my mom's geriatric care, and not booze binges for someone who can't be arsed to send presents for Xmas or Bday.

What sibling did next is absolutely stunning, and I am a completely unstunnable person. I won't highlight it here, but suffice it to say it is an epic backfire as I'd ever seen.

So, yep. I get the being surrounded by epic fuckups thing and I find it quite believable.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
What sibling did next is absolutely stunning, and I am a completely unstunnable person. I won't highlight it here, but suffice it to say it is an epic backfire as I'd ever seen.
Dude, you can't leave us hanging.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So, yep. I get the being surrounded by epic fuckups thing and I find it quite believable.

There are plenty of people like this. The ghettos and trailer parks of America don't just exist because of the corporations and the elites preying on the under class (although they do do that). There are also millions and millions of people living in absolute chaos due to drugs and alcohol and bad parenting because of drugs and alcohol.

Also, you don't write stories about "normal" people or you will have a boring ass story.