Marijuana Legalization

pharmakos

bµɐʁwɐʞoƨ
<Donors Crew>
9d 17h 44m
Reactions
4,436 1,874 0 0
Great, they gonna just release all the drug dealers.
if all they did was sell marijuana, then it's okay. tax dollars saved. more room for housing violent convicts.

Armadon

<Donors Crew>
11d 16h 21m
Reactions
764 69 0 0
Oh shit yeah. It will never pass but at least we are trying. I think it's a way to get legalized weed here since they will see that and go no way but put weed law only on same ballot and people will be ok with it.

Mahes

Lord Nagafen Raider
1d 21h 7m
Reactions
260 8 0 0
Anybody ever try the Chewing Gum Euphoria from Amsterdam? I was wondering if it had any real effect similar to smoking pot.

Arbitrary

<Donors Crew>
29d 1h 24m
Reactions
12,889 263 0 0
States rights, smaller government, personal responsibility, getting the government out of people's lives, less regulations, job creation - there's a million fucking ways to brand the decriminalization of marijuana on the federal level as being perfectly in line with core Republican values. You court young people, you make headway with the black community, maybe some evangelicals get pissy but they ain't voting D anyway.

Lendarios

Practice Potatoe
<Donors Crew>
Reactions
5,847 8,992 0 0
what is the effect on driving? That to me is the highest con.

pharmakos

bµɐʁwɐʞoƨ
<Donors Crew>
9d 17h 44m
Reactions
4,436 1,874 0 0
After states legalized medical marijuana, traffic deaths fell

most people drive a little bit worse when they're stoned, but unlike being drunk, most users say they're "aware" of their impairment and they are able to compensate just by being a bit more cautious and taking your time. i know friends that claim they drive BETTER when they're high (they get "in the zone"), tho i'm not sure they were really correct about that.

Aldarion

Trakanon Raider
2d 18h 46m
Reactions
2,181 152 0 0
Id argue that light users drive worse while "stoned" (although I agree with the above that theyre typically aware of this and can more or less compensate). I'm doing the stupid quotes here because in my experience regular pot smokers dont spend their time "stoned out of their mind", we spend our time slightly altered. Comparable with the degree of mental effects youd get from a cup of coffee or smoking a cigarette, although not in the same direction.

For a regular pot smoker who has smoked their usual amount, I'd bet good money there are no detectable effects on driving at all.

In other words, I'm arguing that a lot of the impression non-smokers have about the effects of pot are like watching a 14 year old get drunk for the first time and imagining thats what having a single beer is like for a 40 year old man.

Screamfeeder

HIC MANEBIMUS OPTIME
<Donors Crew>
10d 18h 45m
Reactions
9,523 10,505 0 0
When I was a regular smoker in HS and college I think I fell into the stereotypical high guy driving 15 miles under the limit and taking 2 minutes to make a left hand turn. Not sure how accurate that was but that is what I can remember.

Now that I took it back up again as an adult I just don't drive if I am anything above a 4/10. Most days it's just like Aldarion Aldarion said. Little bit in the morning to set a tone and then pretty mild throughout the day and no real effects on driving at all (I mostly bike/uber anyway). I will say that I do NOT enjoy driving on road trips high. Passenger? Hell yeah.

mkopec

<Donors Crew>
13d 22h 18m
Reactions
16,463 504 0 0
Back when I was going to college, I had my drafting classes across town, like 45 min drive each way. So I used to fire up a fatty, jump in my car and blast death metal on my 1000W system all the way there. Never even close to an accident. Not the same as drinking, which I did a fare share of one eye driving in that same era. Never got caught, thank god for that, but yeah, speaking of myself, pot was like 1/100 of the effect on driving that alcohol had. Worst thing about pot is probably mind wandering from task.

I did have a buddy that hit some dude and killed him while high, they found a joint in his car after accident. He did some time for manslaughter. Now he says he was nto high at the time, but im willing to bet he was. Not sure about laws today, but im sure they are much more strict now if anything like that happened.

pharmakos

bµɐʁwɐʞoƨ
<Donors Crew>
9d 17h 44m
Reactions
4,436 1,874 0 0
When I was a regular smoker in HS and college I think I fell into the stereotypical high guy driving 15 miles under the limit and taking 2 minutes to make a left hand turn. Not sure how accurate that was but that is what I can remember.
one of my first times getting high, we were way out in the country, driving down mile long dirt roads with 1-3 houses per mile territory, so we thought we had it mostly figured out. however, one part of our route had us crossing the "main" road (for this area: it's both actually paved and has painted lines!) just a few miles from a small town, population ~800. the one flaw in our plan was that this small town is home to a factory that at the time was the biggest employer in my county, about 200-300 employees per shift.

and i made it to the main road leading out of town right at 11PM shift change. didn't even have to make a left turn, just go straight. took me a solid few minutes to find an opening, despite my passenger pointing out that there were even occasional cars slowing down to let me through.

our problem was like Aldarion described above, tho -- we were stupid kids, we bought a gram of the strong stuff, and we smoked it all in one joint. with the tolerance we had, we could've probably made that last half way til next week if we smoked a reasonable amount.

it didn't take me long to learn discretion when it comes to driving. at least i was aware i was inebriated and waited until i was damn sure i had an opening!

Mahes

Lord Nagafen Raider
1d 21h 7m
Reactions
260 8 0 0
The states ability to legalize marijuana was never really in contention. The federal government does not want this issue to go to the Supreme Court. In this instance, the states have the right as the federal government could not possibly justify the current classification of marijuana to the supreme court. If Sen. Gardner could have used his block vote to push the issue of classification, then that would have been a story.

Noble Savage

Lord Nagafen Raider
8d 9h 16m
Reactions
1,958 62 0 0
Didn't the Obama administration ask the DEA to look at the classification for marijuana and they came back and said there would be no change to it?

The fact that people in this day and age are still being arrested and put in jail because of pot in this country is a fucking travesty.

Its a bunch of old white men that don't want to admit they were wrong.