Mark of the Ninja

Yasp_sl

shitlord
Didn't see a thread for this so thought I'd start one.

I gotta say this game is a real surprise for me... picked it up during the Steam holiday sale not expecting much. But it has such a highly polished feel and this game needs more attention than what it's gotten.

Basically it's essentially a 2D side scroller.. the plot can seem complicated so i'll just post what Wikipedia has on this..

Massive spoiler of the entire game, read at your own risk:

The game's story begins with an attack by an armed force on a ninja base. The unnamed main character, passed out after receiving a tattoo, is awakened by a female ninja named Ora. Gathering his equipment, the ninja is able to defeat the soldiers and save his master, Azai, alongside his other companions. Azai tells him about the power of his tattoo and the legend around it, explaining how the ink comes from a special desert flower that grants special skills, but slowly causes the wearer to go insane. To receive the tattoo, the ninja had to promise to commit seppuku once the madness took hold.
After the ninja receives his second tattoo, he and Ora are sent to attack the one behind the attack at their base, a ruthless and wealthy man named Karajan. Meanwhile, the tattoo artist, Dosun, expresses his concern over the ink's quality and promises to figure out where it came from, believing Azai is hiding something. The ninja is able to travel and defeat the head of security, and later tracks Karajan down to another country where he is killed as well. Upon returning home, the ninja and Ora find their ninja companions wearing the high technology weapons and suits they found at Karajan's mansion, leaving them to discover that Azai's plan all along was to steal that technology and lead the ninjas into a new era, thus disposing of the old ways of the tattoos. Instead of committing seppuku, the ninja and Ora flee to find Dosun.
Dosun ends up being captured by bandits in the desert, who stole his equipment. Upon freeing him, Dosun explains that the flowers that produce the ink have all died, and Azai was responsible. He planned the attack to cover up his mistake, as revealed in scrolls throughout the desert. Dosun then gives the ninja his final tattoo, before being killed trying to escape. The two main characters, losing all their gear, travel back to their base where the two confront Azai. It is here that Azai tells the protagonist that the power of the tattoos has driven him insane and it has manifested itself as the female ninja Ora, explaining how she knew so much and could help him when she was not near him. In the end, Azai gives the ninja a choice, kill Azai or kill Ora, ending his own life. The player is left to decide his fate.

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_of_the_Ninja#Plot

The game constantly receives high marks from users and review sites averaging over 90%.. the screenshots don't do it justice. But it's really true.. the graphics are very fluid and gameplay has a sharp well-defined feel. The only problem I've found is because of the simple controls and buttons with multiple actions sometimes you can run into some minor problems. Example you kill a soldier near a door.. you use E to open door but E can also be used to drag the soldier. So basically just move the soldier than use the door.

Pollo

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've put some time in to this the last few days. It an excellent stealth platformer. However, I couldn't imagine playing this with anything other than an Xbox controller.

Golt_sl

shitlord
Storyline was surprisingly good, but really the highlight of this game is the tight controls and gameplay. The moves you do are really fluid, and are fun as hell to perform. Also, you probably shouldn't post a spoiler of the entire storyline if you're trying to introduce people to the game.. just sayin'

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I've put some time in to this the last few days. It an excellent stealth platformer. However, I couldn't imagine playing this with anything other than an Xbox controller.
It's fine with kb+mouse

I think they did pretty good job with the story, though I saw most of it coming during the last mission or two. You can do some pretty crazy things with the last tattoo, even though the white suit that removes QTEs for stealth kills ended up being my favorite.

It's probably around top 3 games I played last year, it seriously reminds me of Portal, very tight design and there's everything there needs to be and nothing extra.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Mostly - trying to do a slide kick is pretty awkward and pickpocketing is unnecessarily stupid.
Good question, how the hell do you pickpocket those 2 keys? they always spotted me somehow so I just killed all of them.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Good question, how the hell do you pickpocket those 2 keys? they always spotted me somehow so I just killed all of them.
It's the opposite of pretty much every other action. Hold down 'E' until the mouse direction marker shows up, then *release* e, hold down right click and then move in the indicated direction.

Holding down right click before you release e is an automatic fail, as is pushing E with rmb held down, and using left click just kills them even in the middle of pickpocketing.