Mars

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Mars

Genre: Documentary, Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Action & Adventure

First aired: 2016-11-14

Creator: Ron Howard, Brian Grazer

Cast: Jihae, Alberto Ammann, Clémentine Poidatz, Anamaria Marinca, Sammi Rotibi, Nicholas Wittman, Cosima Shaw, Kata Sarbó, Roxy Sternberg, Esai Morales, Levi Fiehler, Evan Hall, Akbar Kurtha, Jeff Hephner

Overview: The maiden crew of the Daedalus spacecraft must push itself to the brink of human capability in order to successfully establish the first sustainable colony on Mars. Set both in the future and in the present day, this series blends scripted elements set in the future with documentary vérité interviews with today’s best and brightest minds in modern science and innovation, illuminating how research and development is creating the space technology that will enable our first attempt at a mission to Mars.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
This is a six episode mini-series on National Geographic. It's sort of a docu-drama about getting people to Mars and what it's going to take. Ron Howard was an Executive Producer and I assume Elon Musk is involved as they feature SpaceX prominently.

The first episode is available to stream on the Nat Geo site.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm not going to lie I don't know anything about this other than its about Mars but I'm pretty excited.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Pretty good first episode. I love stuff like this (speculative near-future fiction strongly grounded in reality).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, 20 minutes in and there's no way I don't enjoy everything they do with this.

Free on NatGeo's site.

MARS

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
2 years later, the second season finished tonight. Same format. Really enjoy it.

Amod Amod Mars

Last edited:

iannis

Musty Nester
how in the hell did i miss this?

Maybe I thought it was a syfy production or something.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I watched the season finale last night. Pretty good imagining what a colony on Mars would be like.

Cybsled

It was good, I always like the colony sim stuff. Season kind of sent a mixed message about private industry, though. At the start they mentioned you need it to maintain an ongoing presence, but then it sort of ended with a vague take back of that sentiment (outside stealing their money lol). Kind of like last season, the cautionary message was "this isn't Earth, so you can't rush things". Like when they fucked with the power grid to rush the nuclear power setup, this season was the mining company trying to rush results on striking water.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
They at least got the corporate part right in a sense, once we establish a foothold on Mars, corporations are going to be lining up to exploit it for profit.

Cybsled

I agree. The only reason Antarctica isn’t dotted with industry is because it isn’t really feasible to setup anything at the moment from an industry standpoint (which is why nations were willing to sign the treaty).

For a long term Mars settlement to work, you will need on site material processing and ore extraction, though. I do agree that you should place some limits on what folks do, though, so they don’t fuck up long term prospects (ie, don’t fuck up the water supply)

iannis

Musty Nester
Finished S1. It's not that bad, but at the same time it's... hard to describe what I don't like about it.

I feel like the plant whisperer's wife at the end of S1 honestly would have been quietly lynched. Not because of story drama, but because that's how people behave in high stress situations. First she fucks up the power in front of a seasonal dust storm and then her husband has a psychotic break and suicides half the base. It's probably even -more- likely to have happened because of the types of specalists that were being sent. Where I think the message is that "smart = super tolerant" that is manifestly just not true. lol. Even if you determine to select for it. The talent pool is the talent pool, and it's only so big. There's a cold, rational risk assessment there and that couple is proven to be subversive to both productivity and "not dying". There's a lot of contrived "we can do eeeeet, together!" sort of messaging woven throughout the entire thing. Which is fine as far as it goes. It rings hollow in a lot of ways though. The politicians absolutely won't care if a few people die, not after they've already sunk that sort of money into infrastructure. They even mention in the docu portion that Nixon cut NASA as much because of budgets as anything and just used 13 as an excuse. He went with the shuttle because it was cheaper and had a better short term return. And the kicker is that he was right. No shuttle, no GPS. It's entirely possible that the information wouldn't even be publicly available in the first place, and the entire enterprise happens under the veil of corporate privacy. The politicians will care if they die -visibly-.

I still like it, overall. Just parts of it are "well... ACKSHULLY"

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

Sure, that could have happened. But I would also like to imagine that they're all smart enough to realize that still wouldn't fix their problems and a breakdown in crew would doom them all. They literally have no way of getting out of the situation they are in and killing someone for being an idiot wouldn't fix it.

iannis

Musty Nester
I mean yeah, maybe they wouldn't. It would be a real argument though, I think. They don't even have a hint that anyone is upset about it. Everyone's just bummed. We've skipped a few stages of grief, here.

It's a pretty big thing to just ignore. Odd, considering that a few episodes before they were talking about psychology and people under intense strain. Sure, I get it. They didn't have time to explore that in a narrative fashion and even if they had we already know the arguments for and against we've seen it so many times. I'd have been content with just a line or two of dialogue to at least acknowledge the seriousness of that potential situation.

Like I say, overall I do like it. Cherrypicking weakens it though. It's kinda obvious what this is. The argument could be stronger.

I'll take it though. Shit's cool.

Cybsled

Part of it was the direction of the company, though. Basically the same plot as season 2 at it's core.

Company needs results to remain financially viable, corners cut, people die.

• 1Like
TV show information provided by The Movie Database