Marvel Netflix: Defenders

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
How did they go from a super powered team that deals with cosmic threats like this:

rrr_img_130751.jpg

To a street level team like this:

rrr_img_130752.jpg

I'd much rather have seen a Heroes For Hire show, as everyone but Daredevil is related to that group. I won't question Marvel, as they are not making many mistakes, but it's a bit of stretch to see the Netflix version of the team as Avengers level.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think your expectation of what the Defenders dealt with is off. As long as I could recall most of what they dealt with was stuff the Avengers couldn't ie the non-cosmic stuff. I could be wrong, I would have preferred a Heroes for Hire vs a show for Luke and Iron Fist.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think your expectation of what the Defenders dealt with is off. As long as I could recall most of what they dealt with was stuff the Avengers couldn't ie the non-cosmic stuff. I could be wrong, I would have preferred a Heroes for Hire vs a show for Luke and Iron Fist.
With Hulk, Dr Strange and Silver Surfer on the same team, you can bet they are dealing with cosmic/alien/interdimensional threats like Mephisto or Dormammu. And yeah, Heroes for Hire would have been interesting, but they've shot themselves in the foot now.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Does Marvel TV/Netflix have the rights to the name Heroes for Hire? Could also just be a marketing decision to go with the simpler name?

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Maybe they're looking at these guys eventually "graduating" to replace the current Avengers on the movie side of things after Infinity Gauntlet is done and they're thinking that The Defenders will have more traction as a title.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Maybe they're looking at these guys eventually "graduating" to replace the current Avengers on the movie side of things after Infinity Gauntlet is done and they're thinking that The Defenders will have more traction as a title.
Except they've been nerfed to street level, and are going to have a hard time fighting villains like Thanos.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I don't want to get into a power level debate because I have about zero comic knowledge outside the MCU and Wikipedia, but Cap got shot in Winter Soldier(or was it stabbed?). He's no more tough skinned than anyone else. If Jessica Jones stayed at the Avengers facility for 6 month for training and stayed away from all alcohol, I bet she would be a lot tougher. Daredevil has amazing senses, but if Joe Thug gets a lucky shot on him with a cinder block he's going to go down like anyone. Maybe I just misunderstood what you mean by street level, but personally think the powers line up nicely. It's more about their individual situation that determine how they use their gifts.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't want to get into a power level debate because I have about zero comic knowledge outside the MCU and Wikipedia, but Cap got shot in Winter Soldier(or was it stabbed?). He's no more tough skinned than anyone else. If Jessica Jones stayed at the Avengers facility for 6 month for training and stayed away from all alcohol, I bet she would be a lot tougher. Daredevil has amazing senses, but if Joe Thug gets a lucky shot on him with a cinder block he's going to go down like anyone. Maybe I just misunderstood what you mean by street level, but personally think the powers line up nicely. It's more about their individual situation that determine how they use their gifts.
You say you don't want to start an argument about power levels, and then start one. Captain America has a shield that is unbreakable. It takes skill to get past it. Winter Soldier is skilled enough to beat a lot of metahumans.

I don't see anyone in the Defenders right now that would be able to do the below. But their comic book versions could. Starting with Daredevil, the showrunner made the choice to make it so that the Defenders are barely superhuman. Daredevil barely wins almost every fight, and you wonder how he did. Jessica Jones is not bulletproof, but superstrong. In the comics, she can go toe to toe with guys in the 100 ton category. Luke Cage is bulletproof, but not even as strong as a weakened JJ. In the comics, he's gone toe to toe with the Hulk.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I agree that the comic versions are different, I guess that's what I mean about an argument. I don't know enough about the comic versions to even debate. We are not getting book Luke and JJ. To me they seem fine because I don't know any better. Doesn't Black Widow in the comics have a similar Super Soldier serum like Cap's? In the MCU she is just a badass. To me, a filthy casual, these heroes and their powers seem grounded in reality, as goofy as that sounds.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
To me, a filthy casual, these heroes and their powers seem grounded in reality, as goofy as that sounds.
And groups like the Avengers and Defenders in the comics fight cosmic villains like Thanos. Don't forget, Thanos once blew up a planet in one shot, without any infinity gems.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seems like a high risk production for netflix.

This is going to have a game of thrones cost per episode price tag to portray four superheroes in action at the same time. Will they actually do that is the question or will it be basically solo stories that connect at the end.

Defenders is simply not correct name for the team they are using. This a clear break from marvel doing it right in regards to respecting the history of the characters they have used so far.

Wouldn't be surprise if there is a bit of PR hype going on here and the show gets pushed back a year very soon.

They likely have multiple choices on the table in regards to what shows they will make and can't afford them all. So a defenders start in 2016 may mean no daredevil season three. That would be my guess, that if we get a season three of daredevil then no defenders start this year if we get defenders then no season three for daredevil.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Think I would have preferred the running fan theory of the Defenders being a story from the Villain side of things. Groups of Criminals siding together after discovering each has their own thorn in the side and taking steps to rid the streets of these Heroes, thus resulting in the Heroes ending up doing the same thing later.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The teaser makes me think that so far Daredevil has done a lot of setup for this with what has felt like dropped storylines

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
[SERIES][TVPOSTER]
oIVBzUGluMt5kPiQ6cbTgY2sJb7.jpg
[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]Marvel's The Defenders[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Action & Adventure[/GENRE], [GENRE]Sci-Fi & Fantasy[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2018-12-31[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]The superheroes Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage team-up in New York City.[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I really feel like a lot of the setup for this is in Daredevil with abandoned plot lines like the pit.

I'm pretty hype for this

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yeah that is what I am assuming too. Also rumor that Punisher will be a part of Defenders as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user