Marvel's Luke Cage

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The music, damn I love the music...just started episode 7 with Nina Simone Plain Gold Ring. Doesn't g t any better than that.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
The music, damn I love the music...just started episode 7 with Nina Simone Plain Gold Ring. Doesn't g t any better than that.

Very cool that the soundtrack was done by Ali Shaheed from A Tribe Called Quest. I saw that in the credits and flipped out.

I liked the first half a lot better than the second, but overall it was pretty enjoyable. All the references were pretty well done. Misty is doing her vision thing and Scarfe interrupts her and she says, "Dammit, you broke my concentration." He was Brad in Pulp Fiction.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I thought it was pretty good overall, but rate it last out of the marvel netflix ones - the bad guys just weren't compelling compared to the ones from previous installments. David Tenant made up for a lot of the shit in Jessica Jones, as the incredible fight sequences did for Daredevil, where Luke Cage really didn't have any particular standout features.

Cottonmouth seemed mostly plausible, but Diamondback was way too crazy to ever be successful at anything, he was way more of a cartoon villain than I was expecting.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really enjoyed it and rank it best out of the marvel stuff so far. I actually liked the main character better then the villains and side characters. That's how it's supposed to be. You aren't supposed to like a comic book because the villain is cool because villains rotate in and out.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
OK so I have a dumb question. Before I get into this: everybody's raving about the music. Am I safe in assuming its a bunch of rap shit? I liked Luke Cage's character on Jessica Jones but find all forms of rap intolerable. How much will the music make me hate this show?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
OK so I have a dumb question. Before I get into this: everybody's raving about the music. Am I safe in assuming its a bunch of rap shit? I liked Luke Cage's character on Jessica Jones but find all forms of rap intolerable. How much will the music make me hate this show?

There isn't much rap imo. It's more soul stuff

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nope, it's more old school funk and slower rap. There are like 2-3 real rap songs in the whole 13 episode series. It's more like watching Shaft then a Tyler Perry movie.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This was Ok, binge watched it nursing a hangover yesterday. Anyway, definitely the weakest of the Marvel stuff on netflix. I liked the music, I liked the actors, but the story was just flat for me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm not a huge rap fan (I was into some in the 90's but that was long ago), but that Jidenna song that opened Episode 5, Long Live the Chief, is just mesmerizing for some reason.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Got done watching the series. It was good, although the 2nd half fell a bit flat.

Diamondback was too fucking cartoony. The Cottonmouth death mid-season was a shock, but they could have capitalized on it a bit more villain wise with just Mariah turning into Mama Mabel 2.0. Cottonmouth's tragic backstory was a little too similar to Fisk's (both folks who were meant for something else, but ended up in crime because of bad adult influence), so I can see why they didn't go all the way down that path. The Judas bullets also make him too vulnerable physically, but they painted themselves into a corner unless they can make some type of healing vat lair that he can go to whenever he wants to recuperate. I think it would have been better if they had explored the ways he is vulnerable to add risk rather than bring out "Kryptonite bullets" midway through the show

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not a huge rap fan (I was into some in the 90's but that was long ago), but that Jidenna song that opened Episode 5, Long Live the Chief, is just mesmerizing for some reason.

That's because it was fucking bumpin. Here let me post if for you.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Long Live the Chief is catchy as hell.

Enjoyed this a lot. Wish the last episode had another hour to decompress a little, but like an amusement part ride slowing down and getting off is rarely the best part.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So. The characters and storyline of Luke Cage are quite good. But the real genius is in the pacing. The slower burn of this show worked really really well. Cottonmouth, Shades and Diamondback were all excellent villains compared to the dumpster fire of season one Kingpin in Daredevil.

Of the Netflix superhero series I rate them like this:

1.) Daredevil Season 2/AKA Punisher season 1
2.) Luke Cage
3.) Jessica Jones
4.) Daredevil Season 1

• 2Solidarity

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i liked cottonmouth and shades WAY better than diamondback, no way in hell diamondback was a "boss of bosses" boy was just cray cray...shades now....shades imo was the boss of it all, but in the background- let diamondback be the figurehead....

i actually never finished JJ or DD2- i should one of these days.

the one thing that got me though, i liked all the characters in LC better than the other two, both have cringe worthy "main" characters, while luke cage really only had diamondback as the cringeworthy bit, and that was towards the end, initially he was ok.

• 1Solidarity

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Caught the method man episode last night. That bit was awesome! lol

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users