Marvel's M.O.D.O.K.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The wife is what really drives it into the ground.

You cannot have a supporting cast member whose only purpose is to constantly take a dump on the main character who you are trying to get the audience to sympathize with. It makes that character feel like a vortex sucking the life out of the show. It's the same issue with Skylar from breaking bad - their entire characters are reduced to repeating "waaaaah you shouldn't be doing bad things, you should be spending more time with me and the kids, waaaaaaah!" and "Our marriage is in shambles because you won't TALK to me, waaaaah!"

And that's saying nothing of her almost caricature-like similarity to every SJW trope there is.
I responded with the only example I can think of where that setup worked. Agree with your examples. We just watched Breaking Bad for our second time and the wife and kid were just as annoying as the first go round. That show was still good despite the family trying to drag it down all the time. It was one reason I like Ozark so much. It’s the kind of rooting for a criminal show like BB but the family is all in. The wife can be annoying in her own way but she isn’t actively against the protagonist she’s just another protagonist causing problems on her own.

Last edited: