Massive Chalice - New Double Fine Kickstarter

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Looks like Double Fine is doing what inXile did and has started another new KS project to roll into as Broken Age team members complete their parts of the project. The idea of a random/modular world where you run the kingdom sounds like running Westeros in GoT. I'll do this because I love the idea of supporting this kind of innovation.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...assive-chalice

From KS:

MASSIVE CHALICE is a single player turn-based tactics game within a multi-generational strategy campaign built for replayability.

As an immortal King or Queen, you must unite your kingdom under a powerful dynasty, eliminate the demonic threat, and reforge the MASSIVE CHALICE!

The game is structured into two main layers: strategy and tactics. In the strategy layer, you oversee your kingdom, arrange royal marriages, conduct research, and make the far-reaching decisions that will determine the fate of your legacy.

In the tactics layer, you fight brutal turn-based battles to defend your kingdom using small squads of customizable heroes.

Permadeath is inevitable: your heroes will grow, age, and eventually die. You'll have to choose between keeping your favorite heroes on the battlefield or retiring them from combat to foster a new generation of warriors.

Drawing from roguelikes we love, content is modular and randomized. Each playthrough begins with a random assortment of male and female heroes from various bloodlines, guaranteeing that each game is unique. Your knowledge and skill will increase over multiple playthroughs, but the details of every game will change based on your decisions and the whims of fate.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hell, goddamn yes - disappointed that it'll be so far in the future for release - but otherwise hell yes.

Pinadil

Silver Knight of the Realm
We're inspired by classic tactical strategy games like X-COM, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Fire Emblem, as well as Game of Thrones' array of noble families. With these influences in mind we're creating an epic, replayable turn-based tactics game where you train generations of heroes to repel a demonic invasion.

Sold.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
And that little blurb skips the "roguelike" bit too Pinadil.

XCom/FFTactics meets the generational stuff from Phantasy Star meets Roguelikes...

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Backed. The point and click kickstarter they did didn't appeal to me but this certainly does.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Sounds like a really fucking cool idea.
I SHALL BREED THE BEST WARRIORS THIS WARRIOR HAS SEEN

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been wanting a legacy/marriage resource system in a sandbox / tactical game

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My only problem with games like this where you are most successful with long-game strats is the length of the game. When the whole game lasts several hours and you fucked up in the first thirty minutes, I find it difficult to enjoy myself because it's either (eventually) too easy (made trivial by your leet strats) or too hard to recover from your mistake you made 8 hours ago.

I guess what I'm saying is, designing a game like this to be challenging enough to be fun - but not so challenging that it is too frustrating - would be pretty daunting.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I wonder how they're going to do the bloodline naming... there's like 1200 bloodline names suddenly?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I want a game inspired by medieval history, male heir gets all the hereditary diseases, while trying to wed his sisters before he dies to spread them to next generations. Bonus points for marrying your cousin.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Wish I saw this thread before now. I would've pledged for this in a heartbeat. Only Double Fine game I've played is Brutal Legend, but I thought that game was great.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Bloodline generator codes went out. There is a version to play around with as well. Mine was caught by GMAIL spam filters, so search for it (in:all massive chalice).

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Beta comes out Tuesday 10/21 (via HumbleBumble to Steam for $50+ tiers). Hoping this shit doesn't suck.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wow, this game is actually pretty awesome, I can't believe how fun it is already.

Now, granted, there are definite issues in beta.

Mostly in combat... The enemies pretty much all either explode in melee or attack from range... Pretty much making the alchemist and caberjack a little useless. 5 hunters just sneak around the map and assassinate mobs 1-2 at a time) It's not really as good as the latest x-com, but I see a lot of potential. I don't really like having the party size capped at 5, some kind of progression allowing more heros would be kinda nice.

And there is a LOT of randomness in the children spawned from the roguelike children progression, not really sure if I'm actually making progress or just relying on luck (much like most roguelikes I guess, a lot of the progress is slow ie: better trainers make better heros which make better trainers). Not sure if I should ignore experience when creating a regent and just go for traits and fertility, or it's worthwhile to select more experienced regents, I've mostly had better luck just going for the youngest and most fertile, pretty much ignoring the traits, quantity seems to override quality.

BUT... jesus this game was fun... sunk 4 hours into it last night and looking forward to getting home and playing it more. At normal difficulty the difficulty ramps up rather quickly, perhaps too quickly... I started encountering bulwarks long before my heroes would capable of handling them legitimately. (ie: no one above level 3 in my party). Maybe it starts to change down the road, but I haven't really gotten attached to any of my characters yet, at most they'll only be alive for 2 battles so far before dieing off from old age.

Not bad for an initial beta release. I did expect to see someone else comment on this game before I did. It's... basically fantasy x-com.

good preview of the game from polygon.
How Dota, Kickstarter and grandmas factor into Massive Chalice | Polygon

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wow, this game is actually pretty awesome, I can't believe how fun it is already.

Now, granted, there are definite issues in beta.

Mostly in combat... The enemies pretty much all either explode in melee or attack from range... Pretty much making the alchemist and caberjack a little useless. 5 hunters just sneak around the map and assassinate mobs 1-2 at a time) It's not really as good as the latest x-com, but I see a lot of potential. I don't really like having the party size capped at 5, some kind of progression allowing more heros would be kinda nice.

And there is a LOT of randomness in the children spawned from the roguelike children progression, not really sure if I'm actually making progress or just relying on luck (much like most roguelikes I guess, a lot of the progress is slow ie: better trainers make better heros which make better trainers). Not sure if I should ignore experience when creating a regent and just go for traits and fertility, or it's worthwhile to select more experienced regents, I've mostly had better luck just going for the youngest and most fertile, pretty much ignoring the traits, quantity seems to override quality.

BUT... jesus this game was fun... sunk 4 hours into it last night and looking forward to getting home and playing it more. At normal difficulty the difficulty ramps up rather quickly, perhaps too quickly... I started encountering bulwarks long before my heroes would capable of handling them legitimately. (ie: no one above level 3 in my party). Maybe it starts to change down the road, but I haven't really gotten attached to any of my characters yet, at most they'll only be alive for 2 battles so far before dieing off from old age.

Not bad for an initial beta release. I did expect to see someone else comment on this game before I did. It's... basically fantasy x-com.

good preview of the game from polygon.
How Dota, Kickstarter and grandmas factor into Massive Chalice | Polygon
Full disclosure: The writer of this story has a personal relationship with an employee at Double Fine unrelated to this project.
Its a start!

But anyway, how is completion, and any of the kickstarter woes that Broken age suffered from? Is this one on track for feature complete?