Math Question

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
My mom passed away yesterday and her funeral will be on Thursday. She was 25,693 days old when she passed. As of 12:53 AM on 12/31/2019, I have been alive for 12,844 days. On Thursday, I will be 12,846 days old, which is half of my mom's age (though her age includes a 0.5 or 12,846.50). Does this mean I will be exactly half of my mom's age on Thursday when her Funeral takes place? My dad threw me off and said I wouldn't be how old she was when she gave birth to me until Feb 10 or so. 7/21/1949 and 10/31/1984. Doesn't seem like a complex equation but I can't get a handle on it maybe because so much is going on and I have gotten little sleep in the past few days. It's been bugging me a little bit though since I don't know why those numbers correlate almost exactly. I randomly looked up how many days we had been alive when my mom was getting close to the end and arrived at those numbers. Just curious if anyone else can make sense of it. I genuinely appreciate it if anyone can explain it better to me better than I understand it right now.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Not at the desktop, but my guess is no.

Because of leap years. Her birthday and yours would have to fall at the same point on the leap cycle, and the odds are better they do not. I don't know from memory which years are leaps. I don't remember if they start at 1 or 4.

It's very close though.I

It's a good distraction, but don't assign too much significance to it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Not at the desktop, but my guess is no.

Because of leap years. Her birthday and yours would have to fall at the same point on the leap cycle, and the odds are better they do not. I don't know from memory which years are leaps. I don't remember if they start at 1 or 4.

It's very close though.I

It's a good distraction, but don't assign too much significance to it.

I was thinking leap year too but that would only account for 8 days if he didn't add them in. Also leap years are presidential election years. It's easy to figure out. If you have trouble remembering just think of it as the politicians giving themselves 1 more day to campaign. Leap years are also when they do the summer Olympics if that's easier for you. So he was born in a leap year, after leap day.

I'm not at a real computer either otherwise I'd jump all over this cause I'm bored right now.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
My mom passed away yesterday and her funeral will be on Thursday. She was 25,693 days old when she passed. As of 12:53 AM on 12/31/2019, I have been alive for 12,844 days. On Thursday, I will be 12,846 days old, which is half of my mom's age (though her age includes a 0.5 or 12,846.50). Does this mean I will be exactly half of my mom's age on Thursday when her Funeral takes place? My dad threw me off and said I wouldn't be how old she was when she gave birth to me until Feb 10 or so. 7/21/1949 and 10/31/1984. Doesn't seem like a complex equation but I can't get a handle on it maybe because so much is going on and I have gotten little sleep in the past few days. It's been bugging me a little bit though since I don't know why those numbers correlate almost exactly. I randomly looked up how many days we had been alive when my mom was getting close to the end and arrived at those numbers. Just curious if anyone else can make sense of it. I genuinely appreciate it if anyone can explain it better to me better than I understand it right now.

Turns out I'm more autistic than I realized.

So the funeral is today, and I'm sorry for your loss. I guess you can come back and read this after.

The primary thing you missed is that your mom was not exactly half her final age when she had you. She was close but not exact. So the 2 ages would not match up. The second problem is your days are not right.

She was 25729 days old when she died. That's 36 days difference from what you ciphered out and I'm not sure how you made that mistake. That's not just missing leap years. Maybe it was from subtracting them instead of adding. Half that is 12864.5. She was 12887 days old when you were born.

As of today, Thursday, the day of the funeral, you are 12847 days old. I think you had your age right. On Jan 19 you will be exactly half the age she was when she died. On Feb 11 you will be the same age she was when you made your escape from her womb.

Note all these numbers are counting the last day. If you don't want to count the final day subtract 1 from the counts or add 1 to the dates given. Here's the website I used to count the days.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Condolences.

We are similarly deranged. I lost my mom 15 years ago and still work out "Am I <multiple> of Mom's age at <event>?" on a regular basis. It's a funny way to stay connected to the memories. I caught myself the other day using this exercise to teach my son fractions.

Death sucks. People are weird (and that's ok).

• 1Like