Mattresses

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
My mattress sucks. I went shopping for a new one about a year ago and we ended up buying a Restonic from a local place. I swear this mattress only lasted like six months until it developed a uncomfortable huge dip in it where I sleep. I am not exactly a small dude, I am 6" and 250 lbs so overweight but not gigantic and I would have expected for as much as I paid for this thing to have lasted longer than it has. Even my wife who is about 110 lbs is starting to have back pain issues with it. What is a good mattress these days though? I think I'm done with memory foam stuff as this is our second memory foam type bed that has had similiar issues though the first one lasted a lot longer than this one. When we first got married we bought a pillow top spring mattress for like 500 bucks from one of those discount places and that was a damn good bed that lasted about a decade before it started to get uncomfortable. I was a lot thinner then though. Prices are all over the place these days and I have no idea what I'm looking at anymore. What do you guys use? What have you had luck with?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Read this as maitresse, disappointed. Anything ikea, with a big ass overlay on top is fine in my book.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I like my Purple mattress, but have also slept on a cheap 10” coil mattress with 4” aerated gel memory foam topper with wool/polyester mattress pad and that was great too. The wool/poly pad helps mitigate the sweating problem.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did a bit of internet sleuthing on mattresses last year, from what I remember these were the main takeaway points from various salesmen willing to spill the beans:

-Don't go for something expensive thinking it'll last 20 years, they all wear out/sag over time. Best thing you can do is get something cheaper and replace the mattress regularly (4-5 years max)
-The various number of "comfort zones" is mostly marketing BS
-Metal coil spring type mattresses are best if you sweat a lot because air travels through them the easiest. Will feel cooler than a foam mattress for the same reason.
-Go to the store and actually test a few, meaning actually lie down on it for five minutes so your muscles relax and you get a good approximation for how it will feel when you're at home. Sounds so simple but I had people at Ikea come up to me to check if I hadn't fallen asleep when I started doing this. You'd amazed how many people you see in that time that just lie down for 5 seconds or even just sit on one to test it.
-Don't neglect whatever you are placing the mattress on (boxspring, slats etc) - these start to sag over time as well.

Last item in particular is easy to overlook and was actually the issue with my 6 month old mattress that started to sag, it was the slats (or rather the rubber mounts that hold them) that had gone weak and were torn in some places. Replaced them with a new boxspring from Ikea and the problem disappeared.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did a bit of internet sleuthing on mattresses last year, from what I remember these were the main takeaway points from various salesmen willing to spill the beans:

-Don't go for something expensive thinking it'll last 20 years, they all wear out/sag over time. Best thing you can do is get something cheaper and replace the mattress regularly (4-5 years max)
-The various number of "comfort zones" is mostly marketing BS
-Metal coil spring type mattresses are best if you sweat a lot because air travels through them the easiest. Will feel cooler than a foam mattress for the same reason.
-Go to the store and actually test a few, meaning actually lie down on it for five minutes so your muscles relax and you get a good approximation for how it will feel when you're at home. Sounds so simple but I had people at Ikea come up to me to check if I hadn't fallen asleep when I started doing this. You'd amazed how many people you see in that time that just lie down for 5 seconds or even just sit on one to test it.
-Don't neglect whatever you are placing the mattress on (boxspring, slats etc) - these start to sag over time as well.

Last item in particular is easy to overlook and was actually the issue with my 6 month old mattress that started to sag, it was the slats (or rather the rubber mounts that hold them) that had gone weak and were torn in some places. Replaced them with a new boxspring from Ikea and the problem disappeared.
This is good info. I did lay down on my current mattress before I bought it and at the time it felt great but didnt last once we got it home. In fact, once we got it set up and went to bed that night it really didnt feel like the mattress we laid on at the store, it was weird. I double checked the receipt and the tag on the mattress to make sure they didnt give me a different one but it was the same. I kind of felt hoodwinked on the whole thing. Needless to say I am not going to get another from that place and they are supposedly the more reputable place in my area.

I am pretty sure I bought new box springs when I got it, but would have to double check on that.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
300 pound guy here. I have spent almost 3k on a mattress before, and it did last let's say 10 years? That tenth year it was like sleeping in a foxhole.

I bought a mem foam a couple years ago? Extra firm. I love it. No sag. Still crazy firm. No contest on the best mattress I have owned. I bought a heavy duty frame also with support right up the middle. THIS to me is as important as the mattress. Price was reasonable also. Like 600 for a king? 14" deep sheets though are a pita for anything with a decent thread count.

10/10. I will always purchase this brand from now on.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
what do you have now? a queen a king? do you plan to throw it out or have it around as a repurposed guest bed?

if you're gonna keep it around i suggest getting a 3in foam topper, it's around 100$ or less, most don't seem to want to have a commitment to full foam bed, 3in topper sounds great.

when you do start to like it after a week, then get a new foam mattress in a box, 10in would start around 450$ or so on amazon, you can wait for amazon deals of 300$ or so every 3 months, but seems like you need one now rather than penny pinching

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
what do you have now? a queen a king? do you plan to throw it out or have it around as a repurposed guest bed?

if you're gonna keep it around i suggest getting a 3in foam topper, it's around 100$ or less, most don't seem to want to have a commitment to full foam bed, 3in topper sounds great.

when you do start to like it after a week, then get a new foam mattress in a box, 10in would start around 450$ or so on amazon, you can wait for amazon deals of 300$ or so every 3 months, but seems like you need one now rather than penny pinching

I have a king, and I do not need to keep it for guest rooms.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a king, and I do not need to keep it for guest rooms.
king is a little more "spendy" when it comes to foam, but i wouldn't recommend going down to queen.

jeez thats gonna be a nightmare to remove

also more so if you decide to keep your boxspring, foam mattresses don't need a box spring, but you might want one for height purposes.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Trying to pick out a mattress suck the donkey balls during Covid. Trying to figure out how to get rid of this old one since no one is doing pickup.

Looking at Purple or Nectar since they are having a sale if I can figure out how to get this old shit out of my apartment.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Trying to pick out a mattress suck the donkey balls during Covid. Trying to figure out how to get rid of this old one since no one is doing pickup.

Looking at Purple or Nectar since they are having a sale if I can figure out how to get this old shit out of my apartment.
Just throw it in the ally

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Best mattress I have owned...

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Couldn't really figure out a good gift for my husband for our first anniversary coming up, so I figured fuck it, let's get a new goddamn bed that I'll throw down for. Sadly, our space won't fit a king, but we can at least upgrade to a queen finally (we're two fat fucks on a full, it's awful). Currently looking to get a Purple hybrid premier, but I have a few days before I'm actually going to purchase anything. Went with Purple for now since they're the only company that isn't just a foam/memory foam mix and seems like it'd be better for staying cool. Anyone know of any reason to go with say Nectar, Casper, Leesa, etc. instead? Alternatively, am I spending way too much on this shit (version I'm looking at is running a little over $2k). I've never actually bought a mattress before so I don't have a good feel for what's value, what's shit and what's overpriced. I don't have problems spending the money on something quality that will last and actually give me a good night's sleep, but also don't want to just piss money away without a good reason. My sleep sucks fucking balls and I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a day I woke up actually feeling rested (probably why I'm so bitchy all the time, at least partially).

• 1Like

Hosix

All labs matter!

I have this.

I love it. White glove delivery was amazing.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is what we got

It's considered a hybrid... my wife doesn't like memory foam and I could honestly give two shits, I feel like whatever it is I could get used to in like a week of sleeping on it. I wanted to just buy a mattress off Amazon but was overruled.We were fortunate because we bought it right before the pandemic so we went to a store and actually got the. 6 months in I still like it!

Not sure how companies that ship mattresses work, seems like it would be a pain in the dick to send it back if you don't like it.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Had a showroom nearby that had a Purple hybrid premier we’re re looking at. It was comfy as fuck and it dampens movement like crazy. As I said, we’re bigger folk and him rolling around switching positions, I could barely tell and vice versa. Huge plus for that. Also made basically 0 noise. More than likely going to end up getting it.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard

I have this.

I love it. White glove delivery was amazing.
1e.gif

• 1Worf
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Had a showroom nearby that had a Purple hybrid premier we’re re looking at. It was comfy as fuck and it dampens movement like crazy. As I said, we’re bigger folk and him rolling around switching positions, I could barely tell and vice versa. Huge plus for that. Also made basically 0 noise. More than likely going to end up getting it.

There's nothing wrong with splashing out $ on something that will give good sleep. It may take a week to get used to it. I have a tradtional sleep comfort, and I am out in less than an minute after climbing in, and I stay out.

• 1Garbage