May's Retro Game of the Month is Super Mario RPG

What game should we play and discuss in May?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Szlia

Beat the game! To focus on the positive the comedy is a bit better in the Nimbus village (the funniest thing in the game being the sculptor describing Mario). Playing on the SNES Mini, I am glad I could use save states for some of the later parts. The sword boss and the final boss being pretty generous in both damage and status effects things can go sour pretty fast!

Not a game I would replay or recommend though.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

Did you find/beat the FinalFantasy Crystal boss guy thing?
I did not. As I did not backtrack (other than checking Frogfucius to know what to do next when the game flowed oddly), I hardly saw anything about side quests. I did the musical mini game which gave me a 3rd level pass for a juice bar I have never seen, I did the hidden object sub quest in Monster village (I was in the zone for that one as I went straight to the right place for all three items!) and I got some ring for Toadstool that is related to some egg hatching thing (I checked the item in a wiki), but never seen where the egg thing could be...

Also I am not exactly ecstatic about the idea of fighting a hard boss in this game, possibly because I used a Mario, Bowser, Geno line up that is entirely reliant on items for healing and removing status effects.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Beat Culex, abused Peach and Shell Armor so she took 1hp damage and spammed her bomb attack.

Game is raw.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
is it even possible to beat culex without lazy shell peach cheese? The dude is a total rapetrain.

Siliconemelons

Yes... my brother did when we were playing this on a real snes back in the day... After he was finally done fuxing with the stupid musical tadpoles!!!

But it is a big item drain and you have to grind a lot - it's a fun fight and gives you something to "work to" after you have beat the game.

But this was back at release and we didn't have many other games to play hehe