Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries announced.

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm

"pre alpha" footage. For now it's purely hopeful hype, in no way to I recommend giving this company money until you understand how slow and inept they are at development.

Piranha Games track record is mediocre, but they have made a moderately successful 12v12 Mechwarrior online game in recent years. It's possible they will be bringing in talent to assist from other companies such as Hairbrained schemes which headed up the recent successful Shadowrun turn based kickstarters, and are currently drawing art assets from Piranha's Mechwarrior online game for their turn based Battletech kick starter that they are making.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
A new single player Mechwarrior game will have to realllllly shitty before I don't play it.

As long as it's slow and lumbering mechs, of course.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yep, I'd be almost curious how much you'd have to jump the shark to fuck up a SP Mechwarrior game. But anything that keeps the IP alive will win points with me, even though I'm still pissed about them ending the MWLL mod, regardless of intent.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Piranha Games track record is mediocre, but they have made a moderately successful 12v12 Mechwarrior online game in recent years. It's possible they will be bringing in talent to assist from other companies such as Hairbrained schemes which headed up the recent successful Shadowrun turn based kickstarters, and are currently drawing art assets from Piranha's Mechwarrior online game for their turn based Battletech kick starter that they are making.

Harebrained owns the Mechwarrior IP, Weisman bought it back from Microsoft a few years back. It was shortly thereafter that Piranha pitched the idea for MWO to Weisman and he let them run with it. They did a good enough job imo, even if their other titles are laughable. Quite frankly I'd rather a second rate studio that were fans of the IP developed the game rather than a triple A studio who saw it as just another project.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm surprised that no one has updated this since Dec 2016.

Russ spoke on a Developer Update stream (I haven't seen a recording of it), but the MWO folks were up in arms over some of it. One thing that came out, was that Russ stated MWO itself couldn't fully fund the MW5 development with the current staffing level they have. Some scuttlebutt about making MWO a subscription game instead of FTP, and that all the mechpacks they were trying to sell haven't exactly been paying for themselves. So MWO is looking like it's going to have a lot of it's development cut, MW5 will limp along the best it can...and...who knows.

Ma Boi TTB's take. It has more of an MWO focus because...well...these are the folks that were listening to it:

I haven't listened to Critical Rocket's summary, but will probably listen now:

• 2Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Glad I didn't hold my breath. Been wanting a new MW Mercs game for over a decade. Maybe it'll happen?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
MWO always seemed moderately succesful at best.

I hope these guys go broke so some other company can make the single player game the market has wanted for a long time.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
MW5 = Now it's an Epic Store Exclusive

Preorder on Steam? Refund, LOL. You can keep codes.

Sounds to me like Epic knew PGI was hurting for cash, so they offered to help fund them in return for Epic Store exclusive. PGI took the money and ran with it. Oh, you preordered on Steam? Sorry!

People are sounding super salty right now. I mean, I guess it's a PITA if you have to go through the refund process, and if you only want to do Steam and now have to go to Epic. Not sure I'd be that salty, but I didn't preorder so /shrug

Release is being pushed back about 3 months to Dec 10th. Their deal with Epic means they will be exclusive to Epic for 1 year (I'm assuming from the Dec 10th date) before you'll be able to get it on another platform (or unless they SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER!! yet again, at the last moment)

Critical Rocket is much more angry than TTB was, LOL

• 2Worf

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
LOL @ Snuggles being angry, using mean hurty words:

Contrast to Snuggles not being angry:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm not surprised they'd take the Epic cash. This is a make or break game for the studio at this point with MWO being basically on life support or already dead.

Mechwarrior is a niche IP with a relatively niche market these days, so if the game didn't do well enough I don't see how they'd survive. Big old cash injection from daddys Fortnite Bucks probably at least means they will keep the doors open regardless of how well it sells.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't understand how someone hasn't turned Mechwarrior into a VR gold mine. In other words, someone wise up and take my god damn money, I'm literally begging. I'm also certain that what I'm craving in my head, is likely to be nothing like what they will produce.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand how someone hasn't turned Mechwarrior into a VR gold mine. In other words, someone wise up and take my god damn money, I'm literally begging. I'm also certain that what I'm craving in my head, is likely to be nothing like what they will produce.
One of life's great mysteries. A VR MW game would be amazing.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I haven't tried VR yet. Is it even that legit?

All I want is to make one of these someday

1564281278103.png

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I haven't tried VR yet. Is it even that legit?

All I want is to make one of these someday

View attachment 216859
Yes, but I think it's worth waiting a year or so before checking it out. I bought in at the first gen VR and quickly resold it (oculus rift CV1, made a few hundred dollars profit lol) because the resolution / image quality just wasn't there.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
One of life's great mysteries. A VR MW game would be amazing.

I agree. This concept will get done, it would nice to see in the Battletech Universe. But someone has at least had a thought it seems. It doesn't seem great, but the hopium it would be like a mech simulator is strong in the negative reviews.

mewkus

Blackwing Lair Raider
this is an awesome universe hanging by a gamers thread. like warhammer 40k i hope people do realise that stories matter, and that this is a better read than jesus & co.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
People have been just a LITTLE salty in game chat this weekend, LOL

So many people are losing it. I thought about looking at the MWO forums but it's probably salty AF right now.