Media servers

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I have a xbox 360 that I want to use to stream torrents from my desktop to my TV, whats a good media server app (tversity? Plex? something else?) to use these days? A free one preferably, I dont want to pay for this stuff.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Plex is good if you want all your media transcoded down into a shitter format.

/ducks

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Plex is good if you want all your media transcoded down into a shitter format.

/ducks
If it is a device that is directly connected to your network, and you select the settings properly, it won't transcode anything at all. If it is, you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: That being said, I vastly prefer XBMC if all you are doing is streaming local content. Since it literally stands for X-Box Media Center, I'm assuming it works just fine on the 360, but I could be mistaken.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I use XBMC on the main living room TV, where we watch movies and generally care about HD shows.

In the other room where we basically just use the TV for the elliptical, I have Plex (it's a 32 inch TV I believe) via a Roku.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
IIRC you can't install XBMC on a XBox 360. XBMC was originally made for the hacked gen 1 Xbox. No one runs it on an xbox anymore but the name just stuck.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I've run both and while XBMC does work well as a media PC (it's the source that Boxee is based on after all) Plex is infinitely easier to setup and works great as a media server too that multiple devices have native apps to stream your library. Roku, Android, Apple, Chromcast, most smart TVs these days, Xbox/PS network, etc all have Plex apps. Subscribe to the PlexPass service and you can stream your library to devices outside the home as well.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Kais_sl said:
Subscribe to the PlexPass service and you can stream your library to devices outside the home as well.
I don't think you need PlexPass for that. I haven't paid for PlexPass and I can stream fine to my Android devices over the cell network or on other WiFi networks. I did have to pay for the Plex App on Play, but that was it. Now if I could just find an ISP that would give me better than 3mbps upload without fucking me in the ass...

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Has anyone had any issues with Plex? The past few days my computer has just been running like dogshit, the Plex server too. Videos not streaming, browser unresponsive, etc. I nailed it down to the Plex DLNA service just constantly running, eating up 100% of the CPU, connecting to nothing. I disabled it, restarted the Plex, and now it works fine and my computer is back to normal. Just the weirdest, most random thing.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Has anyone had any issues with Plex? The past few days my computer has just been running like dogshit, the Plex server too. Videos not streaming, browser unresponsive, etc. I nailed it down to the Plex DLNA service just constantly running, eating up 100% of the CPU, connecting to nothing. I disabled it, restarted the Plex, and now it works fine and my computer is back to normal. Just the weirdest, most random thing.
Nope, see if Plex updated itself. Mine runs on a NAS and I update manually so not sure if there is an updated from the last couple days.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I installed an update on the 28th but it didn't start doing this until the 1st. My first thought was my kids went in there and fucked around with it, but that is a pretty specific and difficult to get to setting. The other thought was maybe I just didn't notice the issue before and the latest update has DLNA enabled by default. idk.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I leave plex running all the time and haven't had any problems at home or work when I stream on my lunch.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I leave mine on all the time. No new devices of any kind. I think maybe my chromecast is taking a shit, also. Weird how these things pop up all at once. Keep having to constantly restart it, it just loses connection to the router. Nothing wrong with the router, though.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I need some PLEX newbie info

Wondering how secure PLEX is, I noticed when i enabled remote access I didn't have to do any port forwarding to access so that raised some concern.

Also wondering if they capture IP or media info ie torrents etc.