Microsoft buys Fallout creator Bethesda for $7.5bn

rad

Lord of Guk
Someone did not catch up on the console thread before posting.

Console thread?

1533294077_PerfectImpressiveCow.gif

• 11Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
congrats on paying 7.5b for a bunch of retards and failing IPs, i'm sure new layers of management will help!

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 5 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Saw this on Zerohedge but there it said it was the "developers of Doom" which made me wonder "wait... wasn't it ID Software that developed Doom, not Bethesda"?

Malkav

French Madman
Saw this on Zerohedge but there it said it was the "developers of Doom" which made me wonder "wait... wasn't it ID Software that developed Doom, not Bethesda"?

Technically, they bought Zenimax, which owns Bethesta, ID, Arkane, among others.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

congrats on paying 7.5b for a bunch of retards and failing IPs, i'm sure new layers of management will help!

Unless MS finds gross mismanagement, I doubt a whole lot will change outside Zenimax itself. Long term, Zenimax itself is probably at great risk of management turnover and replacement than the actual game dev studios. It will probably end up with most of the Zenimax functions being rolled into current MS functions and managing all the dev houses under a unified management/source.

Honestly, what I -really- hope comes out of this is they bankroll a creation engine 2.0. The creation engine is a venerable old engine, but it has been held together with duct tape and chewing gum for years now. They've done a decent job of trying to keep it relevant, but its limitations are big ones. If they could basically build an updated version, not only do you have a stronger engine to use for next gen games, but MS then is able to sell the engine to other companies, much like the Unreal engine.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Wow, with these exclusive titles and their exclusive streamers on Mixer they will be able to...

Oh, nevermind. I am sure this will still work out with Microsoft ensuring quality over sad gimmicks revolving around microtransactions.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
So MS now owns both the people making Starfield (Beth) and the people who made the budget Starfield in Outer Worlds (Obsidian). Someone at MS really like space RPGs.

That said this seems like a terrible decision for MS, how many Doom 2020s will it take to make that back? Because there's no evidence Starfield is coming out anytime soon, and this gen will be nearly over before Elder Scrolls 6 comes out. Prey is dead, Dishonored is dead, Wolfenstein may or may not have any juice left, Rage isn't impressing anyone, etc.

Although it does make the Weaboo / Skyrim line pretty clear for PS5 vs Xbox Whatever Fucking Letter.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm kind of wondering if this purchase wasn't mostly about ID. The Bethesda properties are not popular around here but they still sell gangbusters (or have historically), but even so I'm wondering if they aren't wanting ID to help retool the Halo series. Shit they can make Doom run on a toaster at 60 fps so they are maybe hoping to port some of that magic over? Because yeah 7.5 b is looking way down the road levels of money right there.

• 1Worf

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'm kind of wondering if this purchase wasn't mostly about ID. The Bethesda properties are not popular around here but they still sell gangbusters (or have historically), but even so I'm wondering if they aren't wanting ID to help retool the Halo series. Shit they can make Doom run on a toaster at 60 fps so they are maybe hoping to port some of that magic over? Because yeah 7.5 b is looking way down the road levels of money right there.
Akhane. Elder Scrolls. Even Fallout. That is enough to get you salivating. Heck, they look like they have the first insane VR rpg, and they can snipe a PS5 exclusive (Starfield, whatever this RPG ends up being).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Akhane. Elder Scrolls. Even Fallout. That is enough to get you salivating. Heck, they look like they have the first insane VR rpg, and they can snipe a PS5 exclusive (Starfield, whatever this RPG ends up being).

Agreed on all fronts.. just have to walk carefully around here when it comes to Bethesda as most people think they are dog shit. Yeah 76 was a turd there is no denying that, but Skyrim is released on everything at this point. With that said I still think they are eyeing ID to help revive Halo and return it to its former glory. It definitely made me pause yesterday and think for 5 seconds that I may want an xbox. But then I realized I'd just build a PC and call it a day at that point.

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can't beat the gaming master race.

Nope I've just always been a tight ass and lazy and consoles really still own in that department, but kind of tired of their shit with trying to get one and the endless shortages. Really debating on when I'm going to be building one but waiting to see how bad things are for the PS5 before I jump in. (Sooner rather than later)

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Fucking Obama. I was going to get a ps5. Is it possible to build a non-noisy pc that runs games okay’ish at 4K for less than 500 freedom bucks for steam? Steam link is kinda meh or is it?

• 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 2 users