Midnight Mass

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
4.67 star(s) Rating: 4.67/5 3 Votes
Title: Midnight Mass

Genre: Drama, Mystery

First aired: 2021-09-24

Creator: Mike Flanagan

Cast: Zach Gilford, Hamish Linklater, Kate Siegel, Annabeth Gish, Michael Trucco, Samantha Sloyan, Henry Thomas, Rahul Abburi, Crystal Balint, Matt Biedel, Alex Essoe, Rahul Kohli, Kristin Lehman, Robert Longstreet, Igby Rigney, Annarah Shephard

Overview: An isolated island community experiences miraculous events - and frightening omens - after the arrival of a charismatic, mysterious young priest.

Daidraco

One hell of a slow burn, but when it finally did start ramping up - I didnt stop watching it till 3am. Have yet to wrap it up, but I cant believe this show isnt more talked about. If you can get past all the small town Christianity stuff, its a really good show (so far).

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
This series could have used more monologues...

Not one character the entire series says the word "vampire"?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

This series could have used more monologues...

Not one character the entire series says the word "vampire"?
My g/f almost exploded because no one came to that realization while we were watching it, lol. I guess vampire lore doesnt exist in that universe? But apparently the show is suppose to be based off the idea that even religion can be corruptible.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really enjoyed it for the most part, it goes all the way instead of having some cheap abrupt 'clever' ending. Some of the reveals happen earlier than I anticipated which was nice. The atmosphere of the small island town and the characters; especially the priest and that cunt sidekick woman were really good. My only criticism is the constant prolonged monologues that have no cuts. I can see what he was trying to do but they go on a bit too long, it draws attention to itself and disrupts the flow of the show from time to time. Overall I'd give it an 8/10.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Really solid vampire show, I like that it is short and to the point. Best one this year I think.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I thoroughly enjoyed it. We watched the first episode last night after dinner and ended up powering through the whole series in a good old fashioned Netflix Binge.

Very much an introspective series with lots of monologues (that will be mined for auditions for years). Had a major family death a couple weeks ago and the monologues about what happens when we die really got to me, but in a cathartic way.

The acting was too notch and I love the way Flannagan plays with camera angles and edits in his series. Yes he keeps writing amazing parts for his wife, but so long as she keeps delivering I am fine with this nepotism.

• 2Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
This was garbage. Typical Netflix; anti-christian, science and gays save the day. They even found time to fit in an "poor Muslims getting discriminated" plot. Too bad too, because they had the makings of an excellent horror setting.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I actually viewed it as very pro-Christian inasmuch as it's a love-letter to Flanagan's memories of growing up as an altar boy as well as holding a mirror up to faith. The only character that's anti-Christian is, ironically enough, the character that likes to think of herself as a Jesus Warrior. Even the devout atheist, Riley, is sympathetic to Erin's notion of God and death.

Every episode was aligned with a biblical chapter and in each there were literal and allegorical references to the core material.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This show suffers from the same flaw as every other Hollywood production that involves a Church. The director and actor have clearly never stepped foot in a catholic Church.

Its goddam ridiculous. Its like if someone who didnt speak Spanish or ever heard any Spanish, tried to write and direct dialogue en espanol. Lacking any actual knowledge of the language, they just insert a bunch of foreign words cobbled together from other languages. "Sounds spanish to me!"

Meanwhile actual Spanish speakers watching the show are like wtf is that?

Some readers are wondering what I'm on about. After all, this show for once used actual old-school Hymns and actual Bible verses. And that is true. Usually TV shows make up Bible verses that sound nothing like anything found in the Bible. That part was good. I was initially hopeful.

Then the priest started his "sermon". Oh lord.

If they had instead had the priest fall to his knees and start reciting the Aloha Snackbar, it would have been a more accurate depiction of a catholic church service. He could have worn a goddam yarmulke and conducted the whole service in Yiddish and it would *still* have been a more accurate depiction of Catholicism than that fucking service.

What the actual fuck, hollywood. Ya know, there are plenty of videos of catholic services if youre afraid you'll burst into flames for stepping into the actual church to do research. This isnt some secret ritual you're not allowed to see. You're actually welcome to come check it out, in churches across the country, every Sunday.

So what is the fucking excuse for this gibberish?

(Otherwise - really enjoying the show)

• 2Worf

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This show is awesome despite its issues. it just feels like every one of the main actors is giving it 110%, along with the writers.

We bitch about characters whose motivations dont make sense. The main character in this... they set up his backstory so well, that his end made perfect sense. Exactly how he'd want to go out. And it was a good plan! If only she'd listened...

I think one more episode to go, hope they dont fuck the ending

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
This show suffers from the same flaw as every other Hollywood production that involves a Church. The director and actor have clearly never stepped foot in a catholic Church.

Its goddam ridiculous. Its like if someone who didnt speak Spanish or ever heard any Spanish, tried to write and direct dialogue en espanol. Lacking any actual knowledge of the language, they just insert a bunch of foreign words cobbled together from other languages. "Sounds spanish to me!"

Some readers are wondering what I'm on about. After all, this show for once used actual old-school Hymns and actual Bible verses. And that is true. Usually TV shows make up Bible verses that sound nothing like anything found in the Bible. That part was good. I was initially hopeful.

If they had instead had the priest fall to his knees and start reciting the Aloha Snackbar, it would have been a more accurate depiction of a catholic church service. He could have worn a goddam yarmulke and conducted the whole service in Yiddish and it would *still* have been a more accurate depiction of Catholicism than that fucking service.

What the actual fuck, hollywood. Ya know, there are plenty of videos of catholic services if youre afraid you'll burst into flames for stepping into the actual church to do research. This isnt some secret ritual you're not allowed to see. You're actually welcome to come check it out, in churches across the country, every Sunday.

Well no idea bout spanish, but from what i remember (used to go to church with my family 20 years ago), the mass that was portrayed was pretty much the same as the one i used to go ( im italian btw, so yea catholic). The prayers used, the hymns sang the sermon (sermon was pretty much on spot, i do remember priest rambling for 30min) and the prayers used after sermon were exactly as the one used here. Now i have no clue bout american catholic mass, since from what ive seen there are plenty different groups and lot of different "churches", but what i can tell from an italian EX catholic, is that i reconized pretty much everything they were doing, and what they were doing were pretty much what i used to listen at when i was a kid wasting a hour on sunday with my family.

Regarding the show i enjoyed it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Well no idea bout spanish, but from what i remember (used to go to church with my family 20 years ago), the mass that was portrayed was pretty much the same as the one i used to go ( im italian btw, so yea catholic). The prayers used, the hymns sang the sermon and the prayers used after sermon were exactly as the one used here. Now i have no clue bout american catholic mass, since from what ive seen there are plenty different groups and lot of different "churches", but what i can tell from an EX catholic, is that i reconized it pretty much everything they were doing, and what they were doing were pretty much what i used to when i was a kid wasting a hour on sunday with my family.

Regarding the show i enjoyed it.
No, I agree -- all that stuff was a good representation of the Catholic service.

Just not the sermon. Catholics don't shout and get excited during the sermon. The sermon is a sedate, almost academic discussion. It is also a minor part of the service in the catholic church compared to Protestant churches.

The director clearly thought Catholics and Southern Baptists act the same. This priest was channeling a Southern Baptist. No catholic priest gives a sermon like that.

Qhue

Trump's Staff

Watched it with a couple of Catholics here in Massachusetts (one Irish American from Southie, one Italian American from Revere) and they had the opposite reaction. Mike Flannagan was born and raised in Salem so perhaps his (and their) experience was substantially different from yours?

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
ah if u refer bout that, i kinda agree too, but also gave it in to the fact that the priest was being altered by the virus maybe? i mean on the first one he did when he got into the island he was pretty tame if im not mistaken.

• 1Like

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
This was garbage. Typical Netflix; anti-christian, science and gays save the day. They even found time to fit in an "poor Muslims getting discriminated" plot. Too bad too, because they had the makings of an excellent horror setting.

Yeah, the show had a lot of strengths, but the usual SJW crap snuk in and brought it down a few notches.

the death of the main character was stupid. here watch me comit suicide in a moronic attempt to convince you to run. oh, I guess you're just going back to the island anyway.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Yeah, the show had a lot of strengths, but the usual SJW crap snuk in and brought it down a few notches.

the death of the main character was stupid. here watch me comit suicide in a moronic attempt to convince you to run. oh, I guess you're just going back to the island anyway.
Youre missing it. His death made perfect sense.
Dude had just spent 5 years in prison for accidentally killing a girl. Literally went to sleep every night looking at her dead face. Broken, at the end of his rope, if there is one motivation this guy had left, it was to never again be responsible for someone elses death.

Then he gets infected. And the priest spends this whole time telling him how great it is that now he can kill people and not feel guilty. Its just "doing Gods will". The last thing this guy wants is to kill again, but the priest is selling it hard.

Then they give him the blood and he realizes he can't help it. he can't resist. He knows damn well he's going to kill again and theres nothing he can do to stop it.

his plan was great because he had to kill himself, and doing it in that way was likely to convince his girlfriend that he was telling the truth. Its unfortunate that she was retarded and went back. All she had to do was keep rowing.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I liked this is a lot. 7/10.

• 1Like
TV show information provided by The Movie Database