Might & Magic : Showdown

turbo

Molten Core Raider
On steam for 20 dollars, early access.

I downloaded tonight and played through all the campaign. Kind of fun and requires abit of tactic planning.

In essence you have a hero and 2-3 minions for most missions (also has 3v3 and 4v4 pvp). Its on a tactic grid but plays out in real time. Your minions you don't directly control but can script them (probably one of the best scripting tools ive ever seen surprisingly). You also have choices as to what skills to use etc (most get 8, some must be unlocked) but you have energy total so you can only have so many scripts based off energy.

Your hero you can equip up to 6 skills and have full control of him as far as abilities go all of which have various cool downs. You get 8-9 to pick from and there are a lot of synergy's as far as abilities doing extra damage or additional CC if certain abilities are present etc. Fairly strategically game.

Graphics are pretty awesome compared to most tactical games and they have a HUGE customization of your miniatures that you collect as far as painting them etc for people that like that shit. For 20 bucks worth seeing how much is developed on it but I have always liked the M&M franchise and it pulls a lot from it including all the hero's and minions and their abilities.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
After what happened with Might and Magic: Duel of Champions, I'm hesitant to ever buy another of their products again, especially something that's more than just a single player RPG.

Caliane

well, this seems baffling.

so.. the game is JUST a 3v3 hero battle on the hex map. No world, campaign? just pvp arena?
Mini painting is super cool sounding... but.. that is a neat feature.. not something to base your entire game on.

the handling of microtransactions, pvp, etc of DoC was so atrocious. yeah, I would not trust them with an online pvp game again any time soon.

There is a single player campaign. (prolonged tutorial) in the sense of single player missions, which unlock new game modes, minis, colors, etc.

I wasn't sure how you were supposed to control 3 chars in real time. But, it seems you can set up your npcs with "combos". where you set their skills, and the order for them to cast them. and they will chain them in sequence. you only actually control the main character.
So the tactical depth seems non-existent.

can you export to 3-d printing at least?
and, how will monetization of future minis work?

Last edited:

turbo

Molten Core Raider
At least at this point there isn't micro transactions, you pay 19.99 for the game.

There is a very significant amount of strategy and tactical decisions. The 3v3 or 4v4 matches include your hero which you are constantly using abilities and adjusting and its very hectic. Your minions you have to be smart on all their scripts and there its probably the best scripting I've seen in games with a plethora of options to handle all sorts of things. You will adjust them a lot. The campaign took me 4-5 hours maybe if I recall, there are a few challenging fights.

You also unlock a few additional abilities after lvl'ing up the individual hero's. The combo's are essentially 1 script with certain abilities scaling additionally the further they are used in the that script, there are also synergies such as using an ability on a rooted mob to stun it as well etc. Their is taunting/provoke which really changes things and forces you to adjust . Honestly i'm pretty impressed since these fuckers have butched one of my favorite series of all time. For 19.99 its pretty fun, I did arena pvp 3v3 and 4v4 for about 4 hours last night and there is a lot of depth. I'll be interested to see how much they flesh it out before final release but even as is I'm not complaining about buying.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
After what happened with Might and Magic: Duel of Champions, I'm hesitant to ever buy another of their products again, especially something that's more than just a single player RPG.
Other than power creep and money grab anything significant happen? I had played fairly heavy for like 6 months than petered off.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Other than power creep and money grab anything significant happen? I had played fairly heavy for like 6 months than petered off.

They overhauled the game to heavily nerf the F2P ways to earn cards, released a bunch of power creep that required the players to buy to stay competitive, then a few months later said sorry guys, we're closing up shop, then shut down the game and servers with no refunds.

They could have at least left the servers up with no future development for people to play, but nope, everyone who bought virtual cards from them got a big fuck you.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nice, almost as epic as that wierd sci fi first person diablo meets sci fi templars game. Forget name. Brother bought the $100 lifetime subscription and then 2-3 months into release they were like oops shutting down everything and no offline play even... Hellgate london or something like that.

Caliane

yeah. to add to this.
Ubisoft has been putting out a number of budget/niche Might and magic titles for some time now.

MM: DoC was 2013. Ubisoft Quebec. Great/best online cardgame game system. Horribly mismanaged/marketed. Weak UI, that badly needed Hearthstone type improvements.
M&M heroes online. Browser MMO. 2014 Ubisoft Blue byte and Related Designs. didnt play. metascore doesnt look great.
Might and Magic x:Legacy 2014. Limbic Entertainment. shockingly good. for a resurrection of a dead genre. wolrd of xeen, 1st person dungeon crawler.

Limbic worked on Might and magic hereos Vii after doing legacy. And no longer is in partnership with Ubisoft.

Showdown is Ubisoft Montreal’s FunHouse division.
Funhouse division is the substudio they created to, create smaller indie games. "what if someone in the studio came up with minecraft?" Child of Light came from this studio. as well as Valiant hearts, grow home, and Eagleflight vr game.

The mighty quest for epic loot is also a ubisoft Montreal game, with ill conceived design online focus, and shut down its servers a year and a half after launch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

turbo

Molten Core Raider
So played this for a few more hours today, actually really starting to enjoy. Its abit like fast paced M&M DoC kinda, there is a lot of different team comps and strats you can do. One thing I fucking DERPA DERPA'd on was the secquences of your scripts. The default attack one is on the bottom of the list so I though they went in ascending order but its the opposite (and ordered by number which I should have paid attention to). So basically I was putting abilities on bottom that I wanted to trigger at the start of the fights and they almost never went off in the fights so I thought it was buggy. Haha so dumb of me, once I realized this I started winning almost all my matches since my cc was landing much better.

I hope they put some content and get some more visibility on this, I could really enjoy playing it for a while.

Caliane

ok, I think I figured out how the pvp could be fun.
Is it pokemon rules?

Best of 3? or until 3 are dead.
you set a loadout for you heroes+support. you have 10 heroes or so.
but can only pick 1 at a time.
So, like. A: "I choose warrior." B:"I choose succubi". Succubi wins. A:"I choose mage" Mage wins. B:"I choose vampire lord. Mage wins. B"I choose Gryphon rider" mages wins. player A wins.

So there is tactics in playing heroes that counter your opponents choices.

I've never actually played pokemon..

Otherwise, as I imagine it. you are just running in with a single prefab loadout? you can edit the sequences, but, not in the middle of a fight?
I don't see how thats fun at all. A card game has choice in deck building. and luck/skill in the actual draw of the cards, and your hand, in relation to the opponent.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Its last man standing, and there is enough hero's and minion options so there is a lot of options to try and use, plus you have to level individual hero's to unlock some of their ability options. Also you get 60 seconds to edit existing scripts once you get a match but you only see their hero and you also can pick your minions. So if I see the healer hero for instance I got a lot of single target burst and switch scripts to attack best support.

And there is a lot of activity in the match itself when you are playing the hero switching targets and trying to get syngery abilities etc. Fairly chaotic to be honest keeping track of everything going on especially 4v4.

There is a minion that is an assasian, does insane damage once in melee range but has the lowest hp in the game and if it gets 1 cc on it its dead before it does shit. One clever thing to do is to have his opening script to use his flee ablility so he runs away fromt he fight for a few seconds which keeps him from getting caught in a lot of cc and then he jumps in and just blows shit up. I'm lvl'ing up havagar the AE mage. Its hit or miss because if the team comp doesn't have people who group up then it negates a lot of his his advantage so i'm doing 4v4's instead of 3v3 which the queue kind of sucks.