Monster Hunter Stories 2 - PC / Switch

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
This deserves its own thread because it's not getting the love it needs.

They nailed this 100% imo. Perfect blend of MH world in a JRPG with some pokemon flavoring. Can't comment on switch but it runs perfect on PC.

Combat is enjoyable though I have definitely sped up the settings because you don't want to see knights of the round style animations every battle. The grinding feels minimalish/nonexistent to progress. Quality of life is super high for a JRPG. Story serviceable. Non completionist will probably get 20-30 hours out of it. Catch em all spergs 40+.

Recommended to MH fans, JRPG fans, Pokemon fans, Weebs, Your mother.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not seeing any significant fps drops on the Switch. I did notice it in a couple cutscenes in the demo, but it hasn't been noticeable yet in the full game (docked mode).

For anyone else like me who doesn't give a shit about figurines but has either a Powersaves puck or some other sort of NFC213 tag writing ability, 2 of the 3 amiibo bins are out. Not sure yet if there's any point to using the amiibos daily or not, need to figure that out before I waste any write-once tags instead of just using the rewritable puck.

Another bit of advice: picking up mats and shit off the ground is more annoying than in regular MH games, so if you've got a 8bitdo Pro 2 or Split Pad Pro for your Switch I'd strongly advise mapping A to one of the paddle buttons, turn turbo on for it, and just hold that down while riding around the map. It's also handy for the button mash QTE during combat.

Edit: BTW, for people still on the fence about the game, the Switch demo is basically the first 5-6 hours of the game and you can import the save to keep your progress.

Last edited:

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I skipped the first one, the art style was way too Chibi, and I am a huge MH fan. This one is great so far though. I skipped the most recent generation of Pokemon due to shit reviews, but man does this Monster Hunter X Pokemon mash up scratch a whole bunch of itches all at once.

spronk

FPS noob
game is currently $49.94 at amazon
www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-Stories-Wings-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B0939SGP51

you can also go into gamestop and best buy and price match it with amazon if you want it asap. Thats for switch, steam is imo the better version to play since you'll get stable 60 fps while switch is 30 fps.

I'd play but I'd prefer to play on xbox or ps5, i'll just wait and see if they ever release that. Maybe on PC down the road.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
game is currently $49.94 at amazon
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JJ37XVW

you can also go into gamestop and best buy and price match it with amazon if you want it asap. Thats for switch, steam is imo the better version to play since you'll get stable 60 fps while switch is 30 fps.

I'd play but I'd prefer to play on xbox or ps5, i'll just wait and see if they ever release that. Maybe on PC down the road.
Isn’t that a completely different game?

spronk

FPS noob
you right, fixed my links wrong game linked all these monster games are the same!

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Does playing the first one help before the second? Or am I not really missing anything? Due to my inability to get past tutorials in mainline MH games, maybe this is the one for me. Is FPS a concern in terms of gameplay? I usually like my turn-based/JRPGs on something portable for couch play or traveling.

Vorph

Does playing the first one help before the second? Or am I not really missing anything? Due to my inability to get past tutorials in mainline MH games, maybe this is the one for me. Is FPS a concern in terms of gameplay? I usually like my turn-based/JRPGs on something portable for couch play or traveling.
It might help, but definitely isn't required. MHS was a pretty obscure 3DS game, I doubt many people playing the sequel ever played the first one. Especially outside of Japan. Wish I'd known there was an Android port of MHS that looks way better than the 3DS graphics, I'd probably have grabbed it a few months ago. From what I've heard though, MHS2 improves on pretty much everything so I think it will be hard to go back now.

I can't see how 30 vs. 60 fps makes the slightest difference in actual gameplay. The very first cutscene in the game was clearly chugging and looked really rough when I watched it in the demo, but everything since then (playing off the actual cart) has been fine.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Game looks fantastic on PC. Really enjoying it.

Update: That feeling when you find out it doesn't REALLY support ultrawide. Just stretches the shit out of 2k =/ Come on Capcom even MHW supported ultrawide.

Going to give this a try Kind of fix ultrawide in MHS2

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

People on Switch with some sort of NFC tag writer: MH: Stories 2 – Google Drive has all three MHS2 amiibos now. If you want everything amiibo-exclusive you should also grab at least one of the MHS1 bins and one of the MH Rise bins. 10 amiibos per day is the limit so you can use more of them if you want, but after the first use you've already got all 5 unique rewards and are just getting random items. Even if you hit full moon it doesn't really seem like anything special, other than getting some consumables at the very beginning of the game that you wouldn't normally have access to until much later. Free charms doesn't hurt either, since you need to blow through a ton of them to level the prayer pot up to 20.

(The unique rewards are all layered armor sets and stickers for MP btw, so it's entirely cosmetic. You can also use a MHS2 amiibo in Rise to get MP stickers similar to the ones that Rise amiibos give in MHS2, if you're into that sort of thing.)

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Good lord game is just insane. It reminds me of MHW when I thought i had hit the end of content and then you unlock the high rank stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Watched Strippin play it. I had never heard of it before (or the first one). Really considering picking it up as it looked really good and addictive.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Watched Strippin play it. I had never heard of it before (or the first one). Really considering picking it up as it looked really good and addictive.
There's a trial version on Steam apparently.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I'm about 35 hours in and the game keeps on giving in true MH fashion.

I wish I did like pokemon more as I could see myself putting 100+ hours getting everything and making the genes stacked, but I just don't want to catchem all.