Monster train

Caliane

There was talk in a few other threads, so may as well give it its own thread.

Its on xbox game pass currently.

If you like Slay the spire. A very similar game.
Pretty smooth play. moving up or down the train is a bit mechanically rough.

Some interesting elements in the 3 playing fields aspect. As well as "champions", and dual elements.
A ton of Challenge options as well.

I'm not sure on balance atm. Still fresh. Feels like a few builds, are WAY better then others. idk, given the nature of adding challenges on purpose, maybe the shitty cards/champions are part of that?

like fizz's -spell cost, versus his +frostburn on attack buff. that frostburn is so hard to make use of. you'd need to protect him, AND give him multistrike and/or sweep to make it useful at all.
while the other abyss champ has a much more useful frostburn option.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
They all have OP builds just have to get there. Finally figured out how to get little fade to destroy all.
1609866899216.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure other people have asked this elsewhere online, but I take recommendations here a little more seriously.

How does this compare to Slay the Spire? I'm seeing most other places this is pretty much on improvement on that, although that game was also pretty groundbreaking. Am I missing out on anything by not playing Slay the Spire?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
They all have OP builds just have to get there. Finally figured out how to get little fade to destroy all.
View attachment 327128
Fade is one Champion I don’t understand how to use compared to others which are obvious. The guy who gives frost burn is insane. I could get stacks of like 300+ frost burn on the final turn and just destroy. The second plant champ is also a beast.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure other people have asked this elsewhere online, but I take recommendations here a little more seriously.

How does this compare to Slay the Spire? I'm seeing most other places this is pretty much on improvement on that, although that game was also pretty groundbreaking. Am I missing out on anything by not playing Slay the Spire?
Slay the Spire is also good but it is fairly different from monster train. STS you only have one person, only have one pack of mobs to worry about at a time.

MT you have tons of units, a LOT more synergies, and you’re worrying about multiple packs of mobs at a time.

They’re similar but different enough they are both worth playing. I like monster train more due to the synergy stuff, it feels a lot like magic the gathering in that regard.

STS is still good though, I got it for iPad to play around the house. PC version version is superior because the iPad version the cards are slightly off screen so you can’t read them without pulling them up on the screen. Not game breaking but it’s annoying, they should have raised the card placement for iPad.

• 1Solidarity

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Fade is one Champion I don’t understand how to use compared to others which are obvious. The guy who gives frost burn is insane. I could get stacks of like 300+ frost burn on the final turn and just destroy. The second plant champ is also a beast.
So you want little Fade to die as often as possible and reform, Fire Light is his strongest path, combined with sweep or multistrike units and ways to either increase burnout stacks or reliably bring them back via reform is very strong. If you can get endless card and fire light you should have no issues winning. Eternal flame is OK as well if you can protect him after he dies 2-3 times otherwise he gets too expensive. Spikes can work but only with lucky artifacts IMO.
1609869298078.png

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I can't figure out how to use Primordium very well.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I can't figure out how to use Primordium very well.
All of his powers work well, just put them all on the third floor, especially if you use Stalwart Snack. The goal is keep front guy alive long enough for champion to get eaten and buff it up. If you get a great defensive unit early Aggressive edible works well. I like superfood the most but Stalwart Snack is my next favorite, you can use "Trigger feeding" on units with Eaten abilities is very good for quickly making an unstoppable killer. Note Morsels will go to the champion even if he isn't in the front row. Again sweep and multistrike units get really strong, buff them with quick if you can.
1609870314791.png

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
All of his powers work well, just put them all on the third floor, especially if you use Stalwart Snack. The goal is keep front guy alive long enough for champion to get eaten and buff it up. If you get a great defensive unit early Aggressive edible works well. I like superfood the most but Stalwart Snack is my next favorite, you can use "Trigger feeding" on units with Eaten abilities is very good for quickly making an unstoppable killer. Note Morsels will go to the champion even if he isn't in the front row. Again sweep and multistrike units get really strong, buff them with quick if you can.
View attachment 327132
My first attempt with him i fucking raped everyone. I had him, the gorgers that get damage shield (gave them multistrike too), and the guys who summon two morsels per round. Put the gorger down with those and the champ behind them and all three levels of the train were just massive destruction hidden untouchable behind damage shields. Was a blast.

I had him on the first floor on every level except one where he wouldn’t have survived the first wave.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
the main thing with primordium (on higher difficulties anyway) is getting superfood and passing damage shield/rage/multistrike to whoever is eating him.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
new clan is in opt in public beta.
New clan is pretty fun. Seems OP though, I absolutely crushed everything the two runs I did. Had two different secondary clans. I never had a boss even live long enough to get to Relentless.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Primordium with retch and that big multi strike robot guy is strong as fuck. Pair that with all the Awoken class buff spells and you make some huge dudes. Umbra class in general seems to be the strongest for me. Gorge is too good.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Uhh, I just had a Primordial run where I had Conserve Ember between turns + Gain +3 Ember when summoning second unit (with Morselmaster) so by the time it was the final wave at the end with Shroud Spike (trigger feeding 2 * (X+1) times... It ended up consuming a +4 morsel like 60 times plus the Gorge trigger of +9/+4 for each time Primo eats a unit. That was retarded.

• 1Mother of God

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Well it got better... Guess I can play this 202 times...

1610247532101.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah there are some fucking obscene runs sometimes. Best part of the game for me. Run shit luck runs a few times then just get an absolute rape combo of abilities...so fun.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah there are some fucking obscene runs sometimes. Best part of the game for me. Run shit luck runs a few times then just get an absolute rape combo of abilities...so fun.

Ended up with like 6500+ damage or something. First Umbra run and none of my previous runs from the other factions were that crazy lol

Rime

<Donor>
STS is better, in my opinion, but only because of the modding scene.

This game is lots of fun as it is, though.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game is amazing.

I think I am up to Covenant Rank 15 or so, and I got all the clans to level 10. My two most consistent have been:
  • Primary Awoken- The Sentient w/Secondary Umbra: Get massive stacks of thorns with big heals or regens, then let a Morsel Maker feed a Crucible Collector for huge damage/life/life steal stacks as the backup plan.
  • Primary Stygian Guard- Solgard The Martyr w/Secondary Umbra: Get the Revenge add frostbite stacks, with other frostbite cards, and then add as much damage block as possible with Morsels. Again, let a Morsel Maker feed a Crucible Collector or Crucible Warden as the backup plan. You can get boss's taking upwards for 600+ damage a tick in Frostbite.
The most challenging I've found is Primary Hellhorned. Though the Imp Witch has enough tricks and fire power to win most of the time.