Montana

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You're asking about moving to Montana? Where does the kid live?

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Billings, Bozeman, and Helena are decent cities and have developer-type work opportunities.

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Also Missoula. I live about 45 minutes away and it is absolutely beautiful out here.

20150613_100922.jpg

2 blocks from my house

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Missoula is awesome. As is pretty much the entire Western half of the state if you're the outdoorsy type. Kalispell is at the top of my list for retirement destinations.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Would love a cabin in whitefish, my buddy had one when we were growing up, was great for week long ski trips.

• 2Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
You're asking about moving to Montana? Where does the kid live?
In Alberta. Just gotta get the hell out of Portland but keep the trees. It also looks awesome there. I've only spent time around Yellowstone. The rest of the state seems good now too.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Would love a cabin in whitefish, my buddy had one when we were growing up, was great for week long ski trips.
I'm looking at houses in the $180k range here in DFW that are very ordinary. For shits and giggles I looked at land prices in MT, $180k will get you a lot of acreage and a great view. I really love that so many people don't realize what a treasure Montana really is and they end up in Colorado or Utah instead.

• 2Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Montana is #2 on my list. But they never fill any jobs there so I'd have to hardship transfer in.

Wife interviewed for a job in Kalispell, but they gave it to their current intern

TheBeagle TheBeagle

Where at in DFW? Every where I've looked 180 gets you sadness. But Rhome seems promising. Wife and I were thinking of spending a day or the this weekend to see how it feels

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Montana is #2 on my list. But they never fill any jobs there so I'd have to hardship transfer in.

Wife interviewed for a job in Kalispell, but they gave it to their current intern

TheBeagle TheBeagle

Where at in DFW? Every where I've looked 180 gets you sadness. But Rhome seems promising. Wife and I were thinking of spending a day or the this weekend to see how it feels
Ya Denton and WiseCounty aren't too bad if you don't mind a little more rural setting. It's a little far for me though. Since I'm gonna be shacking up with someone I have to compromise and land somewhere that's not an hour drive to her work in Dallas. So we're looking at stuff in the mid cities, HEB. I'm also not opposed to getting a couple acres, drop a cheap trailer down, and then build up a compound myself. But that's getting harder and harder to find.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Be aware that Kalispell, Bozeman, and Missoula are rich people playgrounds and the cost of living is very high. Yeah you've got a lot of pretty mountains around you but you will pay for them and they are crawling with tourists. If you want lower cost of living, go east of the rockies and the further east you go, the less expensive and less crowded it will be. One of my friends moved from Portland and he said getting a house in Bozeman would have been more expensive than the Portland suburb where he was living. He wound up in Boise. Unless you're the sort of person that wants to go to the mountains every weekend (these people exist, but even if you think you are one, you probably aren't really), I don't think it's worth the cost or the crowds to live right in the middle of them. Go east 3 hours, cut your cost of living in half, and you can still go pretty easily when you want to.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Be aware that Kalispell, Bozeman, and Missoula are rich people playgrounds and the cost of living is very high. Yeah you've got a lot of pretty mountains around you but you will pay for them and they are crawling with tourists. If you want lower cost of living, go east of the rockies and the further east you go, the less expensive and less crowded it will be. One of my friends moved from Portland and he said getting a house in Bozeman would have been more expensive than the Portland suburb where he was living. He wound up in Boise. Unless you're the sort of person that wants to go to the mountains every weekend (these people exist, but even if you think you are one, you probably aren't really), I don't think it's worth the cost or the crowds to live right in the middle of them. Go east 3 hours, cut your cost of living in half, and you can still go pretty easily when you want to.

Went to Bozeman in college, loved it.

Looked 18? months ago while shopping around for next relocation spot for work and the house sticker shock was real.

Blew my mind, 15ish years ago it was all rednecks and hippies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't even have to go 3 hours, my family lives about 1 hour east of kalispell and their cost of living is minuscule, and hasn't gone up in 20 years really. Problem is unless you want to be a farmer there aren't alot of Jobs, especially in tech, $10an hour job at a local store is still a great job there.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I've spent 2 summers living on Flathead Lake at the Biostation and then a 6 month hitch living in Salmon Idaho. Those places are definitely a "bring your own job and bring your own woman" situation. I could probably land a job with Idaho Fish and Game or Montana FWP but like you guys said the pay is shit compared to what I make now and wouldn't even cover my damn child support. But once she's done with college in 9 or 10 years.... I'm gonna get real weird with it.

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Don't even have to go 3 hours, my family lives about 1 hour east of kalispell and their cost of living is minuscule, and hasn't gone up in 20 years really. Problem is unless you want to be a farmer there aren't alot of Jobs, especially in tech, $10an hour job at a local store is still a great job there.

Heard there is a growing tech hub in Bozeman.

I assume the area outside Yellowstone is expensive too? It was scarcely populated the last time I went through there 15 years ago.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Heard there is a growing tech hub in Bozeman.

I assume the area outside Yellowstone is expensive too? It was scarcely populated the last time I went through there 15 years ago.

Yes. Liberals have ruined Bozeman according to a few guys that kept in touch with the people there