Mortal Kombat 1

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Any lore hounds in here able to tell me if I'm getting all of this right? Googling it resulted in a bunch of timelines and a general confusing mess.

As I understand it:

MK1-3: Shao Khan tries to take over Earthrealm, loses. Retreats back to Outworld after 3
MK4: Shinnok and Quan-Chi do things. IDK I never cared about Shinnok
MK5: Shang Tsung and Quan-Chi form the Deadly Alliance, ambush Shao Khan and kill him to become the new rulers of Outworld. They also kill Liu Kang off.
MK6: Onaga the Dragon King, previous Emperor of Outworld, crawls out of limbo or whatever to reclaim his throne. Turns out Shao Khan isn't dead and they only killed his clone in the previous game.
MK7: Shao Khan reclaims the throne of Emperor and launches the final armageddon against Earthrealm. Everyone fights and gets killed n' shiet. Shao Khan wins?
MK8: DC Universe stuff, probably shouldn't even be canon. Shao Khan gets imprisoned in the Phantom Zone at the end.
MK9: Timeline reset, I guess since Liu Kang is dead and Shao Khan pretty much wrecked everything. Not sure if it counts MK8 or not so not sure if Khan is in the Zone or still ruling.
MK10-11: More stuff continuing from the new MK9 timeline.
MK1: Another timeline reset where Liu Kang is a god instead of Rayden.

I guess my main questions are... did Shao Khan really win in MK7? Does MK8 actually count for anything in canon? Did MK9 reset everything because MK7 thrashed everyone? Cause this all sounds kind of crazy and maybe I need to play MK7.
MK6 - Mortal Kombat Deception: Onaga the Dragon King, previous Emperor of Outworld, crawls out of limbo or whatever to reclaim his throne. Turns out Shao Khan isn't dead and they only killed his clone in the previous game.
This isn't quite right as far as I figured out.
Shujinko, a new character is introduced and is fooled by this being called Damashi to go through his life gathering a few significant artifacts for the greater good but it turns out that Damashi was Onaga after all and he was using Shujinko from the start. This kind of comes up in an easter egg of sorts in MK1.
Then it gets murky for me, I think Shujinko did kill Onaga in the end? I'm not sure.

MK7 . Mortal Kombat Armageddon:
Shao Khan reclaims the throne of Emperor and launches the final armageddon against Earthrealm. Everyone fights and gets killed n' shiet. Shao Khan wins?
This appears to be the cannon ending but as soon as Shao Khan is about to win Raiden sends a message to himself in the past which connects directly into MK9 that takes the whole story into a new branch that goes on up to MK 11 and then gets somewhat restarted in MK1.

I guess my main questions are... did Shao Khan really win in MK7? Does MK8 actually count for anything in canon? Did MK9 reset everything because MK7 thrashed everyone? Cause this all sounds kind of crazy and maybe I need to play MK7.
MK8 is kind of not cannon at all.
MK7 Cannon is that Shao Khan did win in that timeline but Raiden sent a message to the past bringing it back to MK9 and the NRS studios storyline goes from there.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
MK6 - Mortal Kombat Deception: Onaga the Dragon King, previous Emperor of Outworld, crawls out of limbo or whatever to reclaim his throne. Turns out Shao Khan isn't dead and they only killed his clone in the previous game.
This isn't quite right as far as I figured out.
Shujinko, a new character is introduced and is fooled by this being called Damashi to go through his life gathering a few significant artifacts for the greater good but it turns out that Damashi was Onaga after all and he was using Shujinko from the start. This kind of comes up in an easter egg of sorts in MK1.
Then it gets murky for me, I think Shujinko did kill Onaga in the end? I'm not sure.

MK7 . Mortal Kombat Armageddon:
Shao Khan reclaims the throne of Emperor and launches the final armageddon against Earthrealm. Everyone fights and gets killed n' shiet. Shao Khan wins?
This appears to be the cannon ending but as soon as Shao Khan is about to win Raiden sends a message to himself in the past which connects directly into MK9 that takes the whole story into a new branch that goes on up to MK 11 and then gets somewhat restarted in MK1.

MK8 is kind of not cannon at all.
MK7 Cannon is that Shao Khan did win in that timeline but Raiden sent a message to the past bringing it back to MK9 and the NRS studios storyline goes from there.

Thanks, that's about what I thought.

I don't get why people refer to the DC game as "MK8" (and now the company does in canon as well since it later gave us 10 and 11). I don't see how MK Vs DC is a main series MK any more than spinoffs like Shaolin Monks are. I guess it plays like a regular MK and that's enough to get it into the main series.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ok he looks awesome, those dodge moves... But the money grab with this game is insane. 13 bucks for a Halloween fatality....

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Actually started playing this again when Peacemaker came out this week. Pretty fun character overall, but some of his zoning moves come out way too fast. He does have an amazing variety of moves and combos, not really focused on any one kind of tactic. But I think his counter game might be too good. If you have good timing and reads, no one can get close to you without getting severely punished. And unlike a similar character I like, Sindel, he is not heavily dependent on pop-ups in his strings when you get in close.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user