Most underrated and overrated movies ever

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Snatch

Tagline: Stealin' Stones and Breakin' Bones.

Genre: Thriller, Crime

Director: Guy Ritchie

Cast: Benicio del Toro, Dennis Farina, Vinnie Jones, Brad Pitt, Rade Serbedzija, Jason Statham, Alan Ford, Mike Reid, Robbie Gee, Lennie James, Ewen Bremner, Jason Flemyng, Ade, Andy Beckwith, Charles Cork, Sorcha Cusack, Stephen Graham, Dave Legeno, Trevor Steedman, Yuri Stepanov, Velibor Topic, Liam McMahon, Tim Faraday, Guy Ritchie, Elwin 'Chopper' David, William Beck, Sam Douglas, Adam Fogerty, Eric Meyers, Jason Buckham, Mickey Cantwell, Nicola Collins, Teena Collins, James Cunningham, Mickey Dee, Goldie, Sid Hoare, Ronald Isaac, Chuck Julian, Jason Ninh Cao, Paul O'Boyle, Jimmy Roussounis, Sidney Sedin, Peter Szakacs, John Taheny, Mick Theo, Andy Till, Scott Welch, Michael Hughes, James Warren, Austin Drage, Liam Donaghy, Joe Williams, John Farnell, Shaun Pearson, Dean Smith, Roy Snell, Andrew Shield

Release: 2000-09-01

Runtime: 103

Plot: The second film from British director Guy Ritchie. Snatch tells an obscure story similar to his first fast-paced crazy character-colliding filled film “Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.” There are two overlapping stories here – one is the search for a stolen diamond, and the other about a boxing promoter who’s having trouble with a psychotic gangster.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The title says it all....

Most underrated - The 13th Warrior. Such a simple movie, with a straightforward story. Never understood why it isn't recognized as it should.

Most overrated - Shawshank Redemption. Not a bad movie but never understood why so much love for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Underexposed - Idiocracy (anyone that sees it seems to appreciate it, but too few have)

Overrated - Star Wars (As a work of art, a theatrical experience, and a technical achievement it's amazing. It's just not science-fiction, and I'll always begrudge it setting a pattern for the "sci-fi" genre.)

cant think of something that's been watched by a large group and been undervalued atm.

• 3Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 3 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Underexposed - Idiocracy (anyone that sees it seems to appreciate it, but too few have)

Overrated - Star Wars (As a work of art, a theatrical experience, and a technical achievement it's amazing. It's just not science-fiction, and I'll always begrudge it setting a pattern for the "sci-fi" genre.)

cant think of something that's been watched by a large group and been undervalued atm.
Star Wars is not what comes to mind when I think of sci-fi. Star Wars is more like mythological drama set in space.

Most underrated - Dune

Most underexposed - Dogville

Most overrated - American History X. Decent movie but the second half was more pedestrian than I expected.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Overrated - Primer, that movie is the most boring shit ever.

Underrated - Street Kings, with Keanu. Legitimately great movie, doesn't get the credit it deserves.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Most underrated: Oblivion.

Most overrated: Fight Club.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
oblivion would be something of an odd mix due to its good solid material and terrible cast at the helm with no redeemable characteristic and generally both weak character building and story arcs. sure, atmospherically it was good if not great. it had high production value, not too much nonsense throwing in, and not too much insanity. yet it doesn't have enough meat to sustain itself. tom cruise didn;t really help. Olga was very hot. that is all I remember.

underrated: coraline

overrated: new star wars/new star trek

• 2Like

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Overrated: Any movie people like that I don't.

Underrated: Any movie I like that others don't.

Joking aside, Stardust doesn't get the love it should. Fairy Tale fantasy with a crazy good cast.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Overrated: Any movie people like that I don't.

Underrated: Any movie I like that others don't.

Joking aside, Stardust doesn't get the love it should. Fairy Tale fantasy with a crazy good cast.

holy fuck stardust was awesome.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity

xzi

Mouthbreather
Most underrated: Oblivion.

Most overrated: Fight Club.

Agreed with this one. I love Fight Club but there's something about it where everytime I see a clip or gif or still of it it's just sort of cringey. The performances in the movie itself are great but some of the lines feel like they were taken from a 12 year old.

Oblivion was a really fucking good scifi flick that I barely ever see get mentioned. And it doesn't even have anything to do with Xenu!

• 2Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Overrated - Primer, that movie is the most boring shit ever.

So overrated, I had to look it up and still not sure I know which movie you're referring to.

I like Fight Club, I'm sure for many people on this board, it debuted when many of us were older teens, so it gets some nostalgia bonus. But I can also agree that it's overrated. It's an extremely quotable movie with almost no substance once you look past the very thin veneer. Soundtrack helped too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've never even heard of Stardust. Will add that to the 'watch list'.

• 2Like

Fadaar

That guy
There's only a few movies that whenever I see them on TV I'll generally stick around to watch -- Top Gun, The Matrix, Forrest Gump, Independence Day. For some reason I can always sit through those. None of them would I consider under or overrated though. Anyway...

Underappreciated - City of God. With Americans as a whole being a bunch of cultureless heathens (myself included) the first thing that came to mind was City of God. Excellent Brazilian movie. Yeah it's highly rated and regarded, but you try and get your average American to watch anything subtitled and they'll tell you to fuck right off. Second choice would be Fifth Element, IMO one of the best sci-fi movies since Aliens.

Underrated - Menace II Society. Second year of college my roommates and I were flipping through the channels and came across this as it started. We had no idea what it was and were completely enthralled. Highly underrated "hood" movie (and we're a bunch of white guys who grew up in the suburbs). Maybe it's not really underrated, but it came out in 1993 and I didn't see it until 2006.

Overrated - Interstellar. I don't tend to watch many movies in the theater (at this point it's pretty much just Star Wars/Marvel movies) so I didn't see this until a few years after it came out. I really liked some of the concepts (the black hole and the whole time dilation with the water planet) but as a whole? Meh. Decent movie but certainly not #33 of all time (per IMDB top 250).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database