Motherless Brooklyn (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The name of the movie is Motherless Brooklyn. Everyone had two dads. Obviously.
it was set in NY
ab637931-ad5b-4df8-a3fd-45df580f218d_1.fec5c730a96b666ec2529961c88c8b6c.jpeg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
ya'll are retarded. The last several projects he's been in are a few Wes Anderson movies and Birdman, he's been good in all that. Whether this movie is good or not, idk, but the dude himself is a great actor.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
Hot take inc, but Birdman was the worst movie I've ever seen. Fucking thing sucked.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think it was overhyped, and clearly not for everyone. I liked it though, and his performance in it was good.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Interesting pile-on with Norton. I always thought he was pretty good. Like most genres, it's all perspective, and one man's garbage and all that. But Norton has been relatively steady in all of his performances over his career. I feel like he kinda dropped off after he played that stupid mascot....?

But I welcome his return. He's not my favorite but I enjoy his style. And I do not recall him ever being bad in anything.

He is apparently a real cunt to work with, if all the rumors are true. A real arrogant prick, so They say.

Szlia

I went to see it somewhat reluctantly because Norton's character seemed a bit silly, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's nothing very original for this type of story, but it works well and several key scenes are very well delivered (Baldwin for best supporting actor ?). Also we don't get to see that many films these days with that type of classic Noir story (the closest I can think of is season 2 of True Detective - which is set today - or Inherent Vice - which is a kind of absurdist parody of Noir ? ). I feared having a hero with Tourette in a pretty long movie would make him overstay his welcome - and amusingly that's also the character's fear when he encounter peoples who are not put off by his condition : "You find it funny now, but we'll see if you feel the same way in a little while" - but it works somehow. I guess it's because it's played in several different ways and it's thematically linked with the plot (the jazz, the irrepressible need to find structure in chaos, to have things fall in the right place but also finding links and creating associations where others don't see them - a bit like the main character in Homeland is supposed to do and hardly ever does !).

On the flip side, the lack of budget shows in several scenes that have very weird cinematography and the plot uses a McGuffin - sure, why not - but does a very poor job at selling us on how important it is once we know what it is.