Moviepass: pay $10/mo, see one movie a day in theaters

spronk

FPS noob
Netflix Co-Founder’s Crazy Plan: Pay $10 a Month, Go to the Movies All You Want

MoviePass - Watch New Movies in Theaters

Site won't load for me, probably overwhelmed with interest. But basically pay $9.95/mo and you can see one movie a day at theaters, dunno if the list is limited or if its any fandango-supported theater, which I assume. It used to cost $30/mo and I guess nobody was paying that.

This is obviously a business model thats stupid as fuck and that price won't last forever, but if you love going to movie theaters this seems like a great deal. Assuming you aren't restricted to movies past X days release, theaters around you participate, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Just signed up, I'll fuck with it. There's some restrictions on it but I figure you can always buy a ticket then hop into another theater.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
yeah 2D ONLY, no 3D and the website again is on fire so it probably won't load the theater list for you.

You also CANNOT use the site/app right away, you have to wait until they mail you (like... USPS mail...) your MoviePass card, which is supposed to take 7 days but will probably take longer. The 2 week (paid?) trial though doesn't start until you receive and activate your card. They do bill you TODAY though, so its really weird. It almost feels like a Ponzi scheme

but fuck it for $10 i'll check it out, I used my main credit card which I keep an eye on so if I start seeing fucking weirdass charges I'll know right away.

Even after you sign up it takes apparently 30-90 mins for the website to process your signup so you can't login right away either, with the mobile app or the website.

spronk

FPS noob
www.moviepass.com/register/map?zip=XXXX

replace XXX with your zipcode to see the list, but as keg said its pretty much any chain theater - AMC, Regal, etc are all covered. Even the local premium Galaxy theaters is covered in my area, and thats a tiny nationwide chain.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I assume you have to get an account for each family memeber and can't just add multiple people to one account? How does this work for theaters with reserved seating where you purchase tickets online and pick your seats?

spronk

FPS noob
the app does allow reserved seating purchasing but since nobody has gotten a card yet its really hard to know how it works since you can't actually check out yet. other people say you have to be within 100 feet of the theater to "buy" your ticket.

and yeah it only supports 1 person per account right now so you'd need X accounts for X people. I wouldn't really do more than 1 person right now, just so you get a feel of how it works and if it even works.

One crazy thing - if you live near a theater, you could book a ticket every day and claim it but not go in, but still get the loyalty rewards (AMC, regal, etc). Those programs usually give you a free ticket for every 8 and free popcorns/etc as you rack up points. Could be a crazy way to score tons of free crap.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
the app does allow reserved seating purchasing but since nobody has gotten a card yet its really hard to know how it works since you can't actually check out yet. other people say you have to be within 100 feet of the theater to "buy" your ticket.

and yeah it only supports 1 person per account right now so you'd need X accounts for X people. I wouldn't really do more than 1 person right now, just so you get a feel of how it works and if it even works.

One crazy thing - if you live near a theater, you could book a ticket every day and claim it but not go in, but still get the loyalty rewards (AMC, regal, etc). Those programs usually give you a free ticket for every 8 and free popcorns/etc as you rack up points. Could be a crazy way to score tons of free crap.

Thanks. I knew I could count on you to find a way to get us free shit and game the system.
ipeVTM4.gif

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Got through but when I submit payment on the start page it seems to process but then button turns back to Start.

I probably signed up like 12 times, oops

Goatface

interesting when i searched earlier using my zip code, only places showed up where in the city nearby.
i just searched that city's zip and my local place shows up.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
This is obviously a business model thats stupid as fuck and that price won't last forever, but if you love going to movie theaters this seems like a great deal. Assuming you aren't restricted to movies past X days release, theaters around you participate, etc.

MoviePass is dropping subscription fees to $10 a month

Looks like it started at $15 a month last year but some investment firm just bought a major stake in it. They're hoping to make up the extra money by selling user info for marketing and advertising.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Does this work for premium 2D screens like AMCs Dolby ?

This would probably save me some money since we usually go 1-2 times a month.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Does this work for premium 2D screens like AMCs Dolby ?

This would probably save me some money since we usually go 1-2 times a month.
Don't think so, but unless there's assigned seating you just grab a ticket for another theater then stroll into wherever you want.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Unfortunately it looks like most of the movies coming out this fall are dogshit. 9/11 the movie wtf?

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
Sounds a lot like the Unlimited card that Cineworld have in the UK. With that card you can literally go watch as many films as you like in a day, every day, as long as the times don't overlap for something like £16 a month and pay a surcharge of a couple of quid to go watch IMAX or 3D.

With reserved seating screenings you could book in advance but you could only have one active booking at a time and the system would cancel your ticket and open up the seat for general sale if you didn't pick it up before the advertised start time.

Nothing stopping theatre hopping - which is probably why Cineworlds version is as many tickets as you want in a day - but cinemas will likely add an extra ticket check at busy screenings to stop that.

I'd imagine this'll work much in the same way.

spronk

FPS noob
financial details - another company paid $27m for 51% of this company, which means they basically have ~$30m in the bank
MoviePass To Expand, And Go Public, With New Sub Terms & Sale To Data Firm

if they keep 100k subs a year from now they get all sorts of bonus shit, so they are gonna try hard to maintain that sub number.

on the other hand scumbags like me are going to fuck them over hard buying a ticket every day just for the reward points, so either they will put in steps to curtail that kinda shady shit or this company will burn through that $27m and go out of business in a few weeks

There are some decent movies I'd watch a few times a week this fall

Blade Runner 2049
Thor 3
It
Kingsman
Murder on the Orient Express
Justice League
Star Wars 8
Tyler Perrys Boo 2: A Madea Halloween

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
financial details - another company paid $27m for 51% of this company, which means they basically have ~$30m in the bank
MoviePass To Expand, And Go Public, With New Sub Terms & Sale To Data Firm

if they keep 100k subs a year from now they get all sorts of bonus shit, so they are gonna try hard to maintain that sub number.

on the other hand scumbags like me are going to fuck them over hard buying a ticket every day just for the reward points, so either they will put in steps to curtail that kinda shady shit or this company will burn through that $27m and go out of business in a few weeks
Apparently you have to be at the theater to redeem a ticket (need to use app and it's tied to GPS).

spronk

FPS noob
yeah if only there was a way to fake GPS like millions of people did with pokemon go
plus there's an AMC a mile from my house, I usually don't go there but can just swing by, pick up a ticket, and go home

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user