Mt. Katahdin - Millinocket, ME

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This past weekend I did my second hike of Mt Katahdin in Millinocket, ME. Katahdin's Baxter Peak is the culmination of the Appalachian Trail, ~2000 miles of hiking from Georgia all the way north to the peak. I'm not some cool dude with 4 months to spare hiking, so we drive the 6 hours to the state park to hike the peak.

Last year we did Chimney Pond > Saddle, however this year we did a harder trail and did Abol. Originally we were set to do Hunt (which is part of the AT), but chose to do an easier one when the opportunity came up.

As for the hike. Chimney is much easier. It has a gradual incline until you reach Saddle, where it gets a bit intense, but not too intense. Abol was a steep incline the entire distance (4 miles or so), with much more actual rock climbing. The descent was much more difficult too, especially with sore feet/joints. Much more time was spent above treeline here so views were amazing.

Side note: second year in a row my brother's wife has almost made the trail deadly. She decided she had an insane fear or heights on the descent and it took her 4 hours to descend the rock face portion. When she got into the treeline the sun was setting and she didn't exit the trail until pitch blackness. Don't be that guy..

Overall if you're looking for a fun day adventure check it out. I'd arrive as early as possible (6am) and expect to spend the entire day going up and down.

PS I'm the bald dude

FB_IMG_1503883494829.jpg
IMG_20170826_165253.jpg
IMG_20170826_134306.jpg
IMG_2268.jpg
Resized_20170826_133520.jpeg