Multiple PS4's Multiple Users, one Home ... how?

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Okay, so i've had a PS4 for a while with 3 users on it. I am trying to figure out how to ensure all games are always uploaded to the cloud, and that if i buy a game it's usable on both systems. I'll explain what i did and why i am not comfortable or happy and need any advice anyone with experience has please. Yes, i'm aware i did not need to get as many PS+ accounts as i did, let's just ignore that lol

PS4-Alpha
User1
: Me - Activated as primary - PS+ account - Only account ever used to purchase ANY digital games
User2: Kid1 - Activated as primary- PS+ account
User3: Kid2 - Activated as primary- PS+ account

...2nd PS4 purchased...

PS4-Beta
User1: Me
User2: Kid1
User3: Kid2

upon setting up this new PS4, i was given the option to transfer all data from PS4-Alpha to PS4-Beta (which i did)
when the transfer was complete, both systems were identical, as far as games/saves/accounts. i did _not_ activate any account as Primary on PS4-Beta

I went to play a digital game as:
User1 - No problem, game loaded up and i was able to play
User2 - Digital games were locked
User3 - Digital games were locked

I did some research and the primary license holder of the digital game needs to have that specific PS4 as the primary PS4 if they want other users to use those games.
So, hesitantly i logged User1 into PS4-Beta and set User1 as Primary on PS4-Beta.

Doing this allowed User2 and User3 access to the digital games on PS4-Beta. This was good.
That is the end of where i left it for now.

Here is my concerns / issues.

I do not play on PS4-Beta, but now my Primary activated PS4 is the PS4-Beta for User1
while PS4- Alpha still has Users 2 and 3 as primary... so current set up is as follows right now.

PS4-Alpha
User1
: Me - PS+ account - Only account ever used to purchase ANY digital game
User2: Kid1 - Activated as primary- PS+ account
User3: Kid2 - Activated as primary- PS+ account

PS4-Beta
User1
: Me - Activated as primary
User2: Kid1
User3: Kid2

so, now on the PS4-Alpha if i buy a new digital game, will it be available on PS4-Beta?
Is there a better way to do this?
Right now, if User2 plays a game on PS4-Alpha and i kick him off and he goes to PS4-Beta, the cloud will have his saved data to continue, however that will only work from PS4-Alpha to PS4-Beta for User2 and User3. But if they play on PS4-Beta, since it's not their Activated PS4, the cloud will not have their data and therefore i'll have to foce the upload of data so that they can continue on PS4-Alpha when they can use that one again.
This seems like a royale pain in my ass.
So questions are as follows:
- Is there a better way to do this, leaving User1 as Primary on PS4-Alpha (this is where i play) and still allowing the User2 and User3 access to digital games on PS4-Beta?
- If i buy a game with the current new set up on PS4-Alpha will that game be downloadable on PS4-Beta or do i have to now buy all digital games on PS4-Beta and then redownload on PS4-Alpha?

I just have no experience with multiple PS4's and accounts and primary, so any details anyone here with expeince can offer would be great.
Thank you all who read my wall of text, i do really appreciate the help :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I skimmed your post, but I believe you can set up children accounts for your PSN Account. The way sharing works is:

PS4A - “Activate as primary console” for PSN license owner
PS4B - Must have active internet connection and logged in as PSN license owner

No one but PSN license owner can use digital games on PS4B but literally anyone can use digital games on PS4A because it is the “activated primary console.”

The only way you could allow for users other than you to use digital games on PS4B is to make them CHILD accounts of your PSN (iirc that is how I have my 6 year old son’s account set up).

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Hmm, way you can share to save money between friends family, should work here too.

PS4#1 = your PS4
PS4#2 = kids PS4

Main account PS4#1 = Terial

Main account of PS4#2 = Terial2

Activate main account for PS4#1 as the primary for PS4#2 and then the other way around. (Log on as Terial on #2 activate as primary console. Log on as Terial2 on #1 and activate as primary console). That would let each account have full access to each others libraries. As Dandai said, the main account will let anyone play games on that PS4 library. So your PS4#2 (kids) will be linked to your PS4#1.

As Terial (PS4#1) you buy games on your PS4. Then log on as Terial on PS4#2. When you access your library on the PS4#2 as Terial, you're accessing your library of what is bought on PS4#1, because the PS4#1 is actually PS4#2 because you've switched them as primary consoles. Download whatever you want, log out.

That game should now be available to any account on the PS4#2

That way, you also don't need to worry about your kids downloading games you don't want them to. Not sure of their age. But to download games you've bought, you need to be logged in on the PS4#2, so just don't save your password when logging on to that account.

For this to work tough, you do need to be online all the time even for single player games as the console is constantly checking that you actually own the games.

I think that should work....

Last edited:

Terial

Trakanon Raider
shit is so confusing lol
I appreciate you trying to help me figure it out though :)

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Yea. I dealt with this. We have two PS4's. The way to do it is to set up your children ps4 as your primary. This will ensure they can access all the games and purchased content. Set up accounts for all of them under family management on PSN. For your PS4, it doesnt need to be your primary, you log into your PSN account and it will get the access it needs, included PS+ and any purchased content.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
shit is so confusing lol
I appreciate you trying to help me figure it out though :)

Will try to step by step it

Console 1 = #1 (yours)
Console 2 = #2 (kids)

Primary account 1 = Terial
Primary account 2 = Terial2 (make a throwaway account, not for playing, just to let you "own" the console, and not your kids)

--------------------------------

Step 1
Log on #2 as Terial. Activate as primary console

Step 2
Log on #1 as Terial2. Activate as primary console

Step 3
Log on #1 as Terial. Buy games.

Step 4
Log on #2 as Terial. Access library, download the games you've bought. Log off (can just activate the download and log off, you don't need to be logged on as the game(s) downloads)

---------------------------------

#2 will now have access all games you've downloaded as Terial on all accounts on #2. The downloaded game will be accessible to the console, not the account that downloaded it. So you can have as many accounts on that console as you want. Your kids can have their own accounts, save games and so forth for all the games.

When you get new games, just repeat step 3 and 4.

Notes
- #1 needs to be online all the time to play as the games you buy are actually for #2 primary. I think your kids should be able to play on #2 offline though.

- If you pre-order a game on #1, and #2 has the option to automatically pre-download set as ON, it will automatically download on that. It will NOT activate pre-download automatically on #1 since the pre-download option only activates on the primary console. So if you pre-order a game you don't want your kids to have, make sure to turn off that option on #2. If you want to pre-download a game on #1, go into your library (PSN usually has a pre download option 48 hours before launch) and go to the game you've pre ordered and manually click download.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Yea. I dealt with this. We have two PS4's. The way to do it is to set up your children ps4 as your primary. This will ensure they can access all the games and purchased content. Set up accounts for all of them under family management on PSN. For your PS4, it doesnt need to be your primary, you log into your PSN account and it will get the access it needs, included PS+ and any purchased content.

yup, this is what i have now, was just trying to see if i could keep my PS4 as MY primary and not the kids PS4 as my primary instead