Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
2.00 star(s) Rating: 2.00/5 2 Votes
Title: Murder on the Orient Express

Tagline: Everyone is a suspect

Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery

Director: Kenneth Branagh

Cast: Kenneth Branagh, Penélope Cruz, Willem Dafoe, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Josh Gad, Derek Jacobi, Leslie Odom Jr., Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley, Lucy Boynton, Sergei Polunin, Olivia Colman, Tom Bateman, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, Marwan Kenzari, Miranda Raison, Hayat Kamille, Joseph Long, Adam Garcia, Honey Holmes, Alaa Safi, Lasco Atkins, Bernardo Santos, Bern Collaco, Jason Matthewson, Ziad Abaza, Jill Buchanan, Nick Owenford, James Pimenta, Tony Paul West, Asan N'Jie, Alan Calton, Tom Dab, Elena Valdameri, Ekran Mustafa, Fran Targ, Tate Pitchie-Cooper, Scarlett Archer, Charles Streeter, Gerald Maliqi, Raj Awasti, Emanuel Coelho, Andy Apollo, Alejandro Rodriguez Chavez, Lampros Kalfuntzos, Dardan Kolicaj, Nina Kumar, Zeynep Rose Kina, Rami Nasr, Tom Rodgers, Sid Sagar, Rodrig Andrisan, Michael Rouse, Christopher Mulvin, Matthew Hawksley, Adrian Danila, Kate Tydman, Ben Gonzales, Benjayx Murphy, Festim Lama, Pip Jordan, Yasmin Harrison

Release: 2017-11-09

Plot: Genius Belgian detective Hercule Poirot investigates the murder of an American tycoon aboard the Orient Express train.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I wasn't terribly interested in seeing this when it was announced but they really filled out that cast nicely. The first trailer seems like more of a teaser though.

It's strange but I can't see a thru shot that pans down the side of a train anymore without immediately getting the feeling that I'm watching a Wes Anderson movie.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today, 6.5/10. The first 70 minutes are fantastic, great world building, set design, cinematography, old-timey stuff, European vibe, actors, etc. Loved it all. Then the movie wrapped up and I thought the ending sucked a big fat dick. My wife is a big agatha christie fan and has read all the books and liked the ending, so make of that what you will.

Great family type of movie though, no sex/nudity/swearing/violence/etc, just a very high production PBS kinda movie. Cast is absolutely nuts although I thought only Branagh (director/Poirot) actually knocked it out of the park, although to be fair I guess the movie spends most of its time with him.

Its the kind of movie you don't really see that often anymore, so its sorta interesting to see from that aspect, but then you kinda realize why you don't see many movies of this kind anymore either after you finish.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Saw this today, 6.5/10. The first 70 minutes are fantastic, great world building, set design, cinematography, old-timey stuff, European vibe, actors, etc. Loved it all. Then the movie wrapped up and I thought the ending sucked a big fat dick. My wife is a big agatha christie fan and has read all the books and liked the ending, so make of that what you will.
I’ve read one or two Agatha Christie books in the past, and yeah, the ending was indicative of how she tends to conclude her books.

The answers to the mystery tend to be a little bullshit; things you were never going to puzzle out yourself. Who did it? Oh, everyone. Who did it? Oh, the first victim actually faked their death and then killed everyone else. Shit like that.

On the whole, I liked the movie; a fun little flick. The visual style in particular was especially good.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Saw this over the weekend, give it about a 7. I also thought the ending was weak though. Good production values though.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
yea i loved everything up to the last 30 minutes or so. cinematography was great, the small amount of humor was good. i felt like the cast could have done a bit more considering the star power they were working with, but overall acting was above average.

I am not familiar with Agatha Christie's writing style so i was assuming it would have been a "who dun it" for the audience to figure out, not a off the screen solution that was later explained.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I feel like they dont even make who dun its anymore. Murder mystery dinner theaters are all over but a good proper murder mystery movie seems to have gone the way of the dodo

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
yea i loved everything up to the last 30 minutes or so. cinematography was great, the small amount of humor was good. i felt like the cast could have done a bit more considering the star power they were working with, but overall acting was above average.

I am not familiar with Agatha Christie's writing style so i was assuming it would have been a "who dun it" for the audience to figure out, not a off the screen solution that was later explained.

I read a couple of Christie's books in high school, then I watched the movie "Murder by Death" and it basically summed up my thoughts of her writing. She creates a mystery by leaving out information, and then supplies the information as an "ah ha!" moment at the end. Like literally some character runs in and yells "I saw him at the houndsman's house, cleaning his shoes. The only way that could be true is if he was out in the rain!" And then they look at the dude and he declares himself the killer because they foiled his plans. Scooby Doo level shit, honestly.

Maybe murder mystery novels aren't my thing, but it didn't connect any previous pieces of the puzzle together. Just a completely unrelated unveiling that pointed out the killer.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I thought it was a great film with a great cast, but we host Murder Mysteries all the time and I am biased. Hard being a parent watching this one tho.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Sequel Death on the Nile green lit, there was a minor teaser at the end of this movie for it too. Pretty happy, this was a good movie and Kenneth B was great
'Murder on the Orient Express' sequel in development at Fox

Saw this with the fiancé during Thanksgiving, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Got out of the theater and both of us agreed we'd like more of these films. Branagh was just awesome, and I'm glad to hear it was successful enough to warrant a sequel, and hopefully a series of movies. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I'd definitely like seeing more in the future.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
After seeing it's sub-par reviews I was a bit worried about it but still went and saw it for the cast. Was not disappointed at all. This is probably gonna make me go back to not even bothering with reviews and only seeing movies off of instinct with cast/trailer Pretty tired of hipster movie reviewers now who seem to be focused on giving negative reviews to good movies, either for some stupid SJW bullshit or because they want to be edgy. I was bored and looked up some who have a history of giving a bad review to every good movie, then positive reviews to the actually terrible ones.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database