Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet

spronk

FPS noob
2.50 star(s) Rating: 2.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet

Genre: Comedy

First aired: 2020-02-07

Creator: Rob McElhenney, Charlie Day, Megan Ganz

Cast: Rob McElhenney, Charlotte Nicdao, David Hornsby, Danny Pudi, F. Murray Abraham, Ashly Burch, Jessie Ennis, Imani Hakim

Overview: Meet the team behind the biggest multiplayer video game of all time. But in a workplace focused on building worlds, molding heroes, and creating legends, the most hard-fought battles don’t occur in the game—they happen in the office.

spronk

FPS noob
This apparently released last night on Apple TV+, 8 episodes total from Rob McElhenney aka Mac from Its Always Sunny.

I like video games and Mac so it looks right up my alley, but meta-critic and critics hate it (55 on MC) so wonder what its like. 8 Episodes total for season 1.

I saw Mac on a talk show recently and he said the inspiration for Its Always Sunny was being the opposite of Friends - 4 people stuck together because nobody else likes them and they never support each other. He said this is sort of on that theme too, instead of a group of people toiling away on something and never getting anywhere (most sitcoms) instead its a group of people who hate each other but create something wildly successful (think Fortnite/Warcraft) and are stuck together because the money is too good to walk away.

Anyways its up on all the usual torrent sites, 8 episodes total. If you know someone who buys apple phones all the time you get 1 free year of Apple TV+ with it apparently, but I can't really imagine paying for that service.

There's been a number of "startup culture" / "video game workplace" shows that have all bombed super hard, except for Silicon Valley, so curious to see if anyone even gives a shit about this. Probably not.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
That cast is kind of nuts. They got fucking F Murray in that bitch!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, first episode was great. It made me think a lot of Brad McQuaid, even though I don't really know anything about him. But after watching that episode, I picture that he probably acted very similar at first... until drugs and alcohol took over, and "the vision" became a mockery of itself.

Good show.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Great show. Ubisoft is apart of it, guessing they did the graphics n stuff. Episode 5 though, do people still say "right in the feels" still?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Got caught up on Overly Cautious Hero finally.

Now that show went right to 11 with the feels at the tail end there. Daaaaaamn.

Yes. The above quote is from the Anime thread. It's not a 100% apples to apples comparison, but still talks about feels.

Last edited:
  • 1WTF
  • 1Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
This apparently released last night on Apple TV+, 8 episodes total from Rob McElhenney aka Mac from Its Always Sunny.

Creative DIrector for a leading MMO? So this is fictionalized Furor?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Episode 3 really picks up the laughs if the first episode or two don't do it for people.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Man the A Dark Quiet Death episode was actually something.

A lot of the characters are pretty good. Poppy, Sue, Ian, CW, Jo, oh well most of them.

It doesn’t seem to be trying to recreate the Sunny vibe so the comedy is a little different. I mean it is better than Avenue 5 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 2Like

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I don't like that Abed is a money hungry bad guy now. He was so perfect in Community.

Same, but I begrudgingly accepted that he is pretty good in this role as well. The cookie episode was awesome lol.

Ladro

Anomaly
The Dark Quiet Death episode was exceptional but definitely felt a bit out of place. It all sort of ties together in the end but thematically it was and could be stand alone. Rest of the show was pretty good and shows promise but pretty heavy handed with some of the SJW women empowerment tones. It wasn't as funny as I thought it would be just kind of amusing.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think it was pretty great. A lot of the characters are great on their own. Mac did great and I got kind of Ryan Reynolds vibe from him a lot. Sue and Jo were fucking great. F Murrdawg was also great even though kind of a trope of a role. The dude who really sold it was Cricket though. He's kind of a pussy "soy-boy beta cuck" type, but watching him get riled up made me laugh really hard. French-kiss my DICK!

The DQD episode was really weird. I thought I clicked the wrong thing until I saw the intro. I think it was really well done and Cristin Millioti is super fucking cute. I like that they tried to make her morose and morbid and they got like the cutest actress with the biggest fucking smile on the planet. She's like 80% teeth and eyes. Jake Johnson was good too, but they could've Nick Miller'd him up a loot more probably.

Overall first episode was slightly weak, but had me laugh a few times. Second picked it up, and by the third I saw the potential. I think this is one of those shows that gets way better for their 2nd and 3rd seasons a la Veep and Arrested Development.

• 1Like

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I just finished watching that episode and came here to post the above quote.
That was so great, the entire narrative line was amazing. And the secretary reaction when Mac got lifted off his feet by the ~big bitch~... amazing !
More people need to watch this show !

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
7eBZozQ.png

This show couldn't be any closer to the truth.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database