Mythica Series I-V

Siliconemelons

0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Mythica: A Quest for Heroes

Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy

Director: Anne K. Black

Cast: Kevin Sorbo, Melanie Stone, Nicola Posener, Adam Johnson, Jake Stormoen, Christopher Robin Miller, Robert Jayne, Natalie Devine Riskas, Kee Chan, Jay Beacham, Sebastian Michael Barr, Michael Flynn, James C. Morris, Lauren Spalding, Ryan Palmer, Clare Niederpruem, Angella Joy

Release: 2014-12-08

Runtime: 93

Plot: Stuck in a life of indentured servitude, Marek dreams of becoming a wizard. When she meets a beautiful priestess, Teela, in need of help, Marek escapes her master and puts together a team of adventurers - including Thane the warrior and Dagen the half-elf thief – and embarks on an epic quest to free Teela’s sister from orcs and ogres. After raiding the orc camp, the group learns that Teela’s sister has been taken into the mountains by a giant ogre. Escaping hellhounds and dragons on their dangerous journey, the team find themselves hopelessly outmatched by the man-eating ogre, and must unite all their talents to free the prisoners and escape with their own lives.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Mythica Collection

So, I did do a search and did not find anything in terms of the movie or series. If this is duplicate, mobs please remove.

I found this series chilling on Amazon Prime - I do not know the history of it or anything.

It starts decent, hero flick, chick lead and low budget sci-fi and dubious acting and direction.

All this has spoiler-ish shit, carry on warned if you care.

Mythica: A Quest for Heroes

As per for the course in movies like these, it presents you with little info and world building is here and there and inconsistent - The movie sets up fair enough two sisters fleeing a temple being raided with an artifact etc. etc. Then we go to a town and a gimpy slave girl and that gives us some magic man Kevin Sorbo - she is an aspiring wizard and all that- but she is a slave and goes past curfew and that leads us to Thane saving her mr. a-typical warrior.

Over all it is a fun B movie... after this one you have to decide if you are in it or if you just want to say "eh, fun, passable, bye"

Mythica: The Darkspore

Well the happy ending turns not to be happy and we pick up right at the end of the last movie... this one keeps the same trappings and issues from the first... we do get some more character building and relationship stuff. We also get a slight change in the story, there are 4 parts to the darkspore, not just the one... but do not let that keep you from pressing onward - there is more "well we said that, but lets just ignore it" story telling to come - not much progresses to me in this movie, many reviewers find this one "the best" while stating the 1st was okay and the following worse... I disagree, this is the weakest one to me - because it fiddles around and cannot really find its footing as a film - way to many stupid choices by the gang o heroes and the intro setup scene was just confusing as it bore zero anythings to anything unless you just assume large chunks of stuff. Oh and we learn our main bad guy is just a flunky for another big bad guy...

Mythica: The Necromancer

The series and characters hit a stride in this - that is not to say they "fix" their problems of bad acting, CG and dubious story telling pace- but they get a new director from the first two and you can tell... However the biggest "just fha'geddabou'it" happens, with 0 (from what I remember) anything - the bad guy from 1&2 just ups and leaves, replaced by the not so RPG named but still RPG named bigger bad guy /the/ necromancer Szolok - we are treated to a good amount of character interaction, though it can be funky and some situations are stupid...however we get some really good scenes as well, some great character development - and the "intro" scene like in the first one, is explained and has something to do with the story and gives some "ahh okay now I know why they bothered showing me this" - although it still could have been done without, it at least has purpose.

Mythica: The Iron Crown

Okay, by the end of the 3rd you are seeing that they can actually act and fight and interact with good results - and this 4th installment starts off showing it...with the characters and action scenes... not the story, again they change the setup of the final darkspore location etc. without any acknowledgement of it what so ever...argh...but let's throw you into a cool chase scene that oddly takes a mad max route through the entire movie, and it kinda works... princess zombie girl is fun and somewhat needed distraction.

However what "good lessons learned" that were shown at the end of 3 and the intro and mid of 4 are quickly forgotten and we get back to some silly choices in the middle of what could have been great... but the movie ends and we are left to move on to the 5th and final chapter.

Mythica: The Godslayer

Okay, so here we are and again they just kind of "forget" how they ended the last one with the previous movies "here is what we got to do" and give us a new setup, every movie kind of does this and it is annoying - but I think they have this mindset that "what if our audience did not see the last movie" - use flashbacks? NAH just kinda present it differently and get us into the same spot...but it takes up a good 1/4 of each movie and wastes time..

okay - the movie from then on, is good - its 90% a character driven movie, and at this point that is what we need and what we want - we know this is the end and it is all about our characters. Effects are better until...the end?wtf? and settings and scenery are good - fucking Hodor shows up as Tek, ffs...no wonder all that fucker said was Hodor, he is not a good actor...anywho

We get the resolve, they actually do not hollywood the ending - good for them, we get a "happy" ending but its not as happy as it could be.

Verdict: Watch the first, if you can stand it, IMO its worth the doing to watch them all, it tells a nice story has fun at times and gives our characters some life and depth that resolves in a satisfactory way.

They really should remake this as a trilogy and fix their continuity errors - heck they even managed to keep showing her with a leg brace as needed, but they cant keep up with the overall plot? Cut out some of the intros, cut out the re-establishing story elements (changes....) and this could be a nice high fantasy trilogy.

Gripy spoilers

Okay, they insinuate the main necro guy needs necromancers to finish his use/whatever of the dark spore - this is established in the flashback that he used then killed the fellow necros channeling as we retrieved the darkspore originally- also in the end they re-con how the heart was split.

So when the bad guy from the first 2 just disappears I figure he is being kept until the end, when he and marerk will be needed for the final summoning...or something, like literally they CANNOT just FORGET ABOUT the MAIN BAD GUY that they DIDNT KILL (as its teleport animation at the final fight, used MANY times after) from the first two ENTIRE FILMS right? no, wrong, they can...he is never mentioned again.

I think they flew by the seat of their pants on the story, in the end, with the story as it was presented complete- it works, its fun and was a nice ride... the bumps of changes and very questionable choices of side elements along the way, they were hard pills to take sometimes.

The flying machine thing needed to be axed and put back before the goddess tree temple, her acting and character sucked and was annoying - it added nothing to keep that element past the initial stealing of the driving machine.

They had the balls to kill their main character, good - yeah its at the end, yes we got a "happy afterlife" scene, but well done in following it though.

Surprised not surprised on the end - the killing of the gods was short unexpected and easy, I think that was a budget cut.. but the entire "this was a world of magic, that is over now....now just the time of mortals" so its a "this was the past of earth with gods and magic" story, a fairly common trope, not a bad one - but I did not really see that coming till the end, figured this was just a "this is a fantasy world" thing.

Every change in story is understood at the end looking back, but during it was annoying...

Why didn't Marek see hodor sitting there hammering away when she put the crown on the first time? she should have seen it, it would have set up the resolve later better imo.

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
Just started these, they are a lot of fun. I'd recommend them to anyone with some free time especially if you have a D&D background. Pretty fun if you are not expecting Lord of the Rings etc...

and.... I know it's just makeup and what-not but the cleric chick is hot! I'm watching it now for her :)

posener.jpg

Last edited:

Caliane

cool. I had noticed prime had a bunch of fantasy movies, I added to the watch list at one point. I've yet to actually go watch them though. this series included.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database