Narcos

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Narcos: Mexico is back on the 5th Nov for its 3rd and final season, this one is set in the 90s.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Only one episode in, but...
Why is the narrator female now ? This is so annoying. And a journalist no less...

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, the narrator is bad. Like...literally her pronunciation, tone and just the general quality of her speech sucks ass. The narration was always big part of the mystique of the show and kind of added to the world but her stilted, shitty delivery is ripping me out of it.

SeanDoe1z1

6/10

Narrator sucked but not a giant distraction.

Some things seemed filled in or taken for granted that we wouldn’t care about that previous seasons were awesome about. Drug trade, empire building etc

Cop story got way too much playtime. Not enough titties. Have a newborn on me so it got the job done for binge entertainment…I hope they don’t try to squeeze chapo into more than one season and just do like 12 episodes with more funding.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Chapo with mustache is fail.
He was so much better without.
But dont get me wrong, the show is good, I am still enjoying it.

Sterling

El Presidente
Not as good as previous seasons but still good enough i didn't mind binging the whole thing in 2 sittings.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Man I love this show but this season felt kinda pointless. Had way too much filler for the payoff.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It’s was okay. The sound of silence shootout was the best episode and it wasn’t even close

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Man I love this show but this season felt kinda pointless. Had way too much filler for the payoff.

Show was meant to be 4 seasons. Shame they didn't completely finish it. Chapo's rise to power would have been a great cap.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Show was meant to be 4 seasons. Shame they didn't completely finish it. Chapo's rise to power would have been a great cap.

So they aren't going forward with another season? El Chapo is the bad hombre everyone in America knows and was waiting for. What the hell Netflix?!

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would assume that part of the issue the writers have, when they are bringing it closer to current times, is that they are afraid of stepping on the toes of people (politicos, oligarchs, & cartels) that have the power to hurt them (the producers, director, actors, crew, & writers).

There were reports that they danced around some still living politicos that Felix was involved with, last season. This season felt like it was stifled for the same reason. They needed to pick a lane and go with it, whereas the most interesting one, that was set up perfectly last season, was Mexico's corruption.

Instead they only included one oligarch, that's dead, and tried to weave in a bunch of other subplot; which made the show suffer.

I still found it entertaining, but far below any of the pervious seasons.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So they aren't going forward with another season? El Chapo is the bad hombre everyone in America knows and was waiting for. What the hell Netflix?!

Yeah. This was it.

"I saw this season as an origin story of the modern world that we live in," he said. "For me, it felt like bringing the show up to that spot where we now recognise, for better or for worse, made sense as a place to stop it. The show has been able to lift the curtains and show you how this thing began, how it evolved.

"Not to say that other stories wouldn't be compelling going forward. But to me, stopping at the moment where we had delivered the world that we now live in today made sense, thematically and narratively. We definitely don't want to repeat ourselves, ever."

"For now, this is it… we kind of felt like we were telling a cohesive story… so it felt like a nice place to wrap it up with season three in Mexico."

There's another limited series (6 eps) in the works from the Narcos team though about Griselda Blanco, gonna star Sofia Vergara.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Yeah. This was it.

There's another limited series (6 eps) in the works from the Narcos team though about Griselda Blanco, gonna star Sofia Vergara.

That might be decent - she was violent as fuck and known in criminal circles for her ruthlessness.

This season was OK, the stuff about the narcos themselves was decent. The serial killer/rapist storyline felt a bit out of whack, I guess they felt they had to provide a nod to the missing women of Juárez for some reason. Didn't hate it or anything, just not as good as previous seasons.

Khane

The cop and the missing women thing was a real head scratcher. Especially the ending line

"The murders went unrecognized. Until women banded together to finally shed light on the murders. The murders still continue to this day"

Uh... huh? So people didn't know before, but do now. But just don't care? Weird side plot with no resolution that really felt like a hamfisted afterthought. Like someone at Netflix HQ said "You need to meet your woke quota if you want this show to be this violent"

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Thoroughly mediocre. The actual drug shit was good, but the "femicide" story so clearly had nothing to do with the story that it shit all over the pacing of the season. What an absolutely ham fisted inclusion just because they wanted to do a little "social advocacy".

One thing I did LOVE though was they managed to cram in there that the killer was a white guy driving down from Texas (intimating the problem is some kind of serial killer situation)...lol, the reality; minority men who are romantic partners are the killers almost exclusively in minority female-killing surges (Which is actually a problem in black and indigenous communities). So even as a fucking soap box it failed to actually bring attention to the problem, and instead was purely ideological. (Which, btw, is also why the killings still continue--because no one wants to drive into the uncomfortable truth that its a cultural phenomena)

The other big drag was the journalist shit. At least that seemed to be more involved with the main story but it just wasn't super compelling. Both of these plot threads could have been reduced down to throw away lines with zero effect on the main plot (IE we have a source in the cartel, and some paper headlines)

If the show had focused more on the war, would have been a lot better. Talk about going out with a whimper. Still worth the watch but everyone should do yourself a favor and fast forward past the cop story line--total waste of time.

Last edited:

Khane

Yea, the cop story line is just...

It doesn't fit and doesn't make any sense.

The journalism side plots have been a part of this series before, and you could see why they'd add them. It was part of the blood on the streets. They just did a really bad job with that particular storyline.

So yea. The narcos part of the show was as good as its ever been. But there were a lot of other things that bogged the story down. Not enough to keep you away from watching the show, it's still worth watching, but yea. Like Lithose said you can fast forward through all that other shit without really missing anything.

It's a bummer the showrunners thought this would be a satisfying conclusion... because it's not. Give us El Chapo.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It doesn't even bring us to modern times either like the writer suggested. El Chapo has so much more story to tell. Dude broke out twice. I wanna see everything around that.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user