Nationwide outages

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Just experienced this calling from Houston to NC.

Damn Chinese and Russians are already trying to EMP us.

giphy-gif.169044

• 3Jonesing
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
These mergers are going to get gang-banged when these types of outages occur.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I thought it was nationwide outrages and it was going to be a bunch of angry Democrats

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I thought it was nationwide outrages and it was going to be a bunch of angry Democrats

I read outrages too, and was looking forward to another thread full of libshits REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEing.

0/10 son I am disappoint.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
6/29/2018

Massive comcast outage.
Crippled at work
No internet or phone
posting from cell

Fiber cut:
Comcast confirms nationwide outage

Crazy, someone's getting fired.
911calls won't work from landline either

It's funny seeing "no Internet or phone, posting from cell".

If this was an "accident", does the person who it comes down to get charged for manslaughter due to the 911 calls not being answered?

That would be one pricey trial.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Service is up here as of 30 mins ago, was down for 3hrs though. No idea the status elsewhere.

I figured a new thread for future big outages could be warranted, as it is basically a national disaster when it occurs and could be quite severe in some cases.

The confusing part is now Comcast is saying 2 Fibers were cut in 2 different parts of the country:

https://gizmodo.com/comcast-blames-nationwide-outage-on-fiber-cut-1827244074
"actually a series of fiber line cuts, one cut between New York and Chicago, the other between Ashburn and South Carolina. "

So how does this happen? Was it intentional to perform "upgrades"? Was it something more sinister? Fiber isn't something that can be easily cut afaik,.... it's usually beneath the soil running through piping, you can accidentally hit a fiber line during excavation with heavy equipment, but for it to happen 2x in different areas is suspicious.

• 2Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
wait until the repo for 3d models comes out.

All the 3d model repos arent letting devs import at runtime because it would destroy their infrastructure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

SuperNaught

Trakanon Raider
Service is up here as of 30 mins ago, was down for 3hrs though. No idea the status elsewhere.

I figured a new thread for future big outages could be warranted, as it is basically a national disaster when it occurs and could be quite severe in some cases.

The confusing part is now Comcast is saying 2 Fibers were cut in 2 different parts of the country:

https://gizmodo.com/comcast-blames-nationwide-outage-on-fiber-cut-1827244074
"actually a series of fiber line cuts, one cut between New York and Chicago, the other between Ashburn and South Carolina. "

So how does this happen? Was it intentional to perform "upgrades"? Was it something more sinister? Fiber isn't something that can be easily cut afaik,.... it's usually beneath the soil running through piping, you can accidentally hit a fiber line during excavation with heavy equipment, but for it to happen 2x in different areas is suspicious.

Verizon had a cut about two weeks ago. It's probably poor prepwork for construction, poor line marking. The larger question is, why the hell didn't they have a way to route around the cuts?

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Verizon had a cut about two weeks ago. It's probably poor prepwork for construction, poor line marking. The larger question is, why the hell didn't they have a way to route around the cuts?
Because redundancy costs money.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
6/29/2018

Massive comcast outage.
Crippled at work
No internet or phone
posting from cell

Fiber cut:
Comcast confirms nationwide outage

Crazy, someone's getting fired.
911calls won't work from landline either

Fiber cuts happen all the time. People who don't call 311. Backhoes. Train derailments. Etc. Depending on the circumstances the repair can take anywhere from 2-3 hours to days. The latter is rare, but utilities and clean up from accidents always take priority.

That said, internet has been up all day in Denver.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it's over 100degrees and there's a excessive heat warning, but internet still good in ks

• 2Like
  • 1Trump

SuperNaught

Trakanon Raider
Because redundancy costs money.
All too aware. Outages cost money as well. My guess is that the issue is not a weakness in physical network design but a failure in failover design or configuration. Or failure to test failover configuration. Physical data capacity runs everywhere in and out of major hub sites and single points of failure that affect sweeping areas of the nation should be extremely rare.

Finding a network engineer worth his paper certification... is another matter.

dt000831.gif

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone having issues on TWC in the northeast? Getting a lot of disconnects and uncorrectable codewords today.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Anyone having issues on TWC in the northeast? Getting a lot of disconnects and uncorrectable codewords today.

Everything was fine for me, but I did spend most of the afternoon in the Adirondacks where shitty/nonexistent cell service is the norm. Everything has been normal since I got back home.