Netflix Plans to Spend $7 Billion on Content in 2018

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Just as GoT winds down... Coincidence, I think not.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Just as GoT winds down... Coincidence, I think not.
Their operating budget for original programing has been steadily increasing for years to the tune of billions. The writing was on the wall a LONG time ago for the aging Studio System.

Biggest problem is that a lot of people, (myself included) think there is a massive overvaluation of Netflix at the moment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Once "steaming services" small price (that's been going up) per month for "all the ones your want" is higher than previous cable bills of what a customer would feel is equivalent programming - things are going to start dropping off.

No one wants to pay 20 for netflix, 20 for hulu 8 for amazon 8 for CBS 10 for HBO 10 for ESPN 5 for showtime and total 80$ + their "internet" of 30-40$ that brings them to the 120$ a month land, that cable + a few premiums generally cost. You have to have the internet to get steaming, so that's "part" of the cost. Heck then if you want a live service like Sling for another 20-30 you are well over cost of cable and arguably getting "less" content? also more annoying content as each one of those - in general - have their own app etc etc.

Once this happens and people really realize it- the big two, Netflix and Hulu will all die down and fall back to a few years ago- and the little shit services will also die up... OR the big ones take in the little ones and you basically have Hulu and Netflix, or Amazon and Netflix... either way... Netflix is highly rated as going to be one of the big names left in either of those situations.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
disney is probably going to pull their stuff off cable when they have their own streaming service.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
No reason you can't rotate subscriptions every few months. Justification to pay for a lot of them simultaneously is low.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Their operating budget for original programing has been steadily increasing for years to the tune of billions. The writing was on the wall a LONG time ago for the aging Studio System.

Biggest problem is that a lot of people, (myself included) think there is a massive overvaluation of Netflix at the moment.
Don't be jelly shit tier writers aren't hired by Netflix

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There are plenty of shit tier original shows on Netflix

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Some Japanese show got put on Netflix as an original and I tried to watch like half the first episode and it was totally fucking senseless.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Some Japanese show got put on Netflix as an original and I tried to watch like half the first episode and it was totally fucking senseless.
Which one?

I got a buddy that helped bring in a few of those weird Japanese movies (not the tv shows though). It's the Netflix game to try and have programming for EVERY single demo so yeah, there is some out there shit on it.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Which one?

I got a buddy that helped bring in a few of those weird Japanese movies (not the tv shows though). It's the Netflix game to try and have programming for EVERY single demo so yeah, there is some out there shit on it.

Million Yen women? 5 women come to live with this guy (not by his own invitation, but creepy invitations and messages appear on his fax machine) and pay him a million yen per month to take care of them. Cook, clean, concierge I guess. One of the women sits at the table naked, but through camera angles you can't see anything.

After about 15 minutes I just got bored looking at my phone and stopped reading the subtitles...

Siliconemelons

I like the random retired Japanese guy wondering around eating food, kids like it also. Its all subtitled so it is getting the older kid to start reading faster, she likes to call out words and phrases she catches :)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I think it will come down to a sub round robin. Watch all new shit on Netflix, cancel, switch to hulu, etc... IMO the best thing about Netflix is the thing thats going to bite them in the ass in the long run. While I love how they release all of their content as a "season package" this is not good for subs, because you binge the shit out of it, then cancel. Seasons are usually short 8-12 eps and you can binge that shit in 2 nights, one if you are all gung ho and stay up.

Khane

And then a new show you want to watch will be out the next month and you'll re-sub.

How cheap are people to cancel a subscription to a service that has as much content as Netflix? There is always something to watch.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, i don't cancel, i binge the new seasons then typically go and watch other shows (that maybe i missed live or want to catch up on missing seasons) in between.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well I dont now. Ive had mine for years. But the problem is the entire market is too broken up, and it seems like it will be more broken up as more content creators jump on the streaming bandwagon. Im not even sure Netflix wil even get to keep their Marvel shit once disney says bye bye. Will they?

It also depends on how you watch too. I tend to binge my shit hardcore when im into TV watching. And there is just only so much shit you can watch on Netflix or Hulu or whatever until you run out of shit you want to watch. While Netflix is better than the others in content right now, you still run out of shit that interests you. But take HBO streaming for an example, they want $20/month and they have jack shit for content. All of their old shit I watched already and they have literally 2-3 new shows I give a shit about, and then shit tier 80s and 90s movies with one or two new ones thrown in.

Hulu I just subbed to last month and watching some of that but I really dont see too much that interests me there aside a few. I would like to watch sara connor chronicles, since I never watched that, or that Killjoys show, but thats yet on an entirely different streaming service from Verizon. So you see where this shit is going....

Khane

Eventually we'll get Cable 2.0. A streaming service that just combines all the other streaming services into one subscription package.

Though I don't think the other services trying to compete will survive very long. Disney can do it because they have a brand like no other. That brand will likely succeed on its own streaming service, other brands/channels will try to employ that same model and will fail because they just don't have the following or content.

Netflix is a juggernaut and they are spending money like crazy to remain so. They are the Yankees of streaming.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Has Sony announced a network for the Wheel of Time series yet? I wonder if Netflix will snag that one. Been waiting forever for it to see the light of day, but with GoT success, hopefully it gets released soon.