Never Lost Again (The story of google maps)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
No idea if it's in poor taste to post a book I've never read....but I haven't read this. I just saw an email about it this morning and ordered a copy.
1602688033135.png

In the mid – to – late 1990’s a partner and I were trying to launch a consumer digital mapping product that used the USGS DRG’s as the base maps and included support for a NMEA signal from a handheld GPS so that you could see your location in real time on the DRG. Amazing, but it still required a laptop computer – a huge limitation for an outdoor recreation product, but not for the Keyhole team, who were not concerned with real time navigation, in the beginning.

As soon as the aerial mapping firms saw our product they did not hesitate to buy the software and the maps. We had fun for a year or so, but our vision was too small, unlike the Keyhole team led by John Hanke, who were building a world scale imagery viewer. We knew there was going to be a digital mapping revolution, driven in part by the availability of GPS. We just didn’t think big enough which of course has never been a problem for Sergey Brin and Larry Page, the founders of Google.

The author is not very kind in his portrayal of Esri and Jack Dangermond. Bottom line – the Esri legacy code was too slow for the “globe to your face” seamless zooming that the Keyhole team was building. Had Jack realized that the consumer digital mapping market was a different beast, he might be the $50 billion man today, but it was not to be.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
No idea if it's in poor taste to post a book I've never read....but I haven't read this. I just saw an email about it this morning and ordered a copy.
View attachment 310013

ESRI's software is absolute dogshit in every way. I have no fucking clue how they've lasted this long in business.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
ESRI's software is absolute dogshit in every way. I have no fucking clue how they've lasted this long in business.
Nothing pisses me off more than working in their desktop software, and the user base is 50% fanatics that enjoy the abuse because it's like being a member of a private club or something.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Nothing pisses me off more than working in their desktop software, and the user base is 50% fanatics that enjoy the abuse because it's like being a member of a private club or something.
Dunno about that software, but anything about the history of mass GPS use always remind me of a few things:

1) That small village in Wales that had to SUE Garmin because their maps led all the local trucks through their village, and notably though a street that was too narrow to turn if you were longer than a certain size.

2) That lake where people keep trying to cross it by car, since the GPS says so ("I thought there must be some kind of submersed road or something")

3) The number of park rangers that say they keep finding people who got lost once their internet connection stopped working and the map updating.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't know about this book but I'm butthurt that google doesn't give away their 3d map models for free for re-use.