Nevergrind Online - 5-player Multiplayer Co-op Dungeon Crawl RPG on Steam

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

maelfyn

Vyemm Raider
Hey, some of you may recall the old web-based version of Nevergrind that I developed seven years ago. I have been quietly working on a 2D multiplayer co-op version that I am developing for Steam. It's like a combination of Darkest Dungeon and EverQuest. Right now, the game is still in its closed beta and I'm willing to give keys to members of this forum in exchange for a little bit of testing and feedback. I also have no idea how many concurrent users my servers can support, so it would be great if we could stress test our server a little bit before it actually launches in April 2022.

If you're interested in checking it out, reply here or hit me up on the Nevergrind Online Discord Server. I'll get you a Beta key as soon as possible.
Edit: I will have to stop giving out keys once the Kickstarter campaign starts since it's a reward.

Similar to Darkest Dungeon, you have a few buildings in town where you handle banking, guild management, buying, selling, check out the leaderboards, and choose your mission.

Image2.jpg

Inside of the dungeon, you crawl through the corridors where you find battles in rooms and hallways.

Image42.jpg

Unlike Darkest Dungeon, combat unfolds in real-time. There are no player models, but you see your party's avatars and skill animations in combat. The mobs are all fully animated. The avatars are generated by Artflow.ai, a text-to-avatar generation tool, which will allow for unlimited custom avatars within the game.

Image27.jpg

Again, if you're interested in trying it out then just let me know! I won't be giving these beta keys out forever. Deadass fr no cap. 🥴 I'll stop giving them away once our Nevergrind Online Kickstarter campaign starts.

Last edited:
  • 22Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 22 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hey, some of you may recall the old web-based version of Nevergrind that I developed seven years ago. I have been quietly working on a 2D multiplayer co-op version that I am developing for Steam. It's like a combination of Darkest Dungeon and EverQuest. Right now, the game is still in its closed beta and I'm willing to give keys to members of this forum in exchange for a little bit of testing and feedback. I also have no idea how many concurrent users my servers can support, so it would be great if we could stress test our server a little bit before it actually launches in April 2022.

If you're interested in checking it out, reply here or hit me up on the Nevergrind Online Discord Server. I'll get you a Beta key as soon as possible.

Similar to Darkest Dungeon, you have a few buildings in town where you handle banking, guild management, buying, selling, check out the leaderboards, and choose your mission.

View attachment 392124

Inside of the dungeon, you crawl through the corridors where you find battles in rooms and hallways.

View attachment 392125

Unlike Darkest Dungeon, combat unfolds in real-time. There are no player models, but you see your party's avatars and skill animations in combat. The mobs are all fully animated. The avatars are generated by Artflow.ai, a text-to-avatar generation tool, which will allow for unlimited custom avatars within the game.

View attachment 392126

Again, if you're interested in trying it out then just let me know! I won't be giving these beta keys out forever. Deadass fr no cap. 🥴 I'll stop giving them away once our Nevergrind Online Kickstarter campaign starts.
I'll give it a whirl w/my g/f if you have two keys to spare?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Has it been seven years already? Holy shit, how time flies!

Glad you're still grinding away at it and have come up with this. Hope it's successful!

BigDirty

Security Director of Crisis and Weather Management
<Bronze Donator>
Dude this is hella cool , would love a key if posible

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just from piddling around on it for an hour - the game is a relaxing bit in that you can just go off and do some work while its up (in the single player experience) and pick back up where you left off in the dungeon etc.. Ill have to try the group aspect, but my g/f thought it looked boring so I never used the second key. :(

My suggestion for this would be to add in some kind of graphical alert when you get chunked for 20% or more of your HP. Almost as if you were crit or something. Easy enough to be cruising along killing stuff with no issues and then all of a sudden one of them is throwing out spells like the boss NPC's do and you're down to 1/3 HP and have no clue unless you're staring at your HP bar, so you're rushing to click the little bitty potion icon. If not that, then just some Hue to your HUD thats set off at 50% to yellow, and red when reaching 25% or less or something.

Another thing was that if I wasnt reading the combat text box, I wouldnt know what some of the buffs or debuffs were doing. "Venessa's Blessing" or w/e, does that mean I chopped my dick off, idk? Had to scroll up and find waldo to figure out some buffs and since I havent played other classes, I didnt know what some debuffs were doing either. Self buffs, at least I think the SK buff is self only - if it is, would it be so bad if it lasted longer or just be activatable?

I remember that EverQuest didnt give you those small QoL things either, but little things like that would make a big difference to me personally.

All in all, its enjoyable for what it is. Great job getting the network code and stuff smooth.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I'll take a key, I like these type of games. Don't mind giving some feedback to help out.

• 1Like

Groove

Trakanon Raider
Played the original waaay back, was fun. I'll take a key and give some honest feedback as well.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I'll take a key and provide some feedback! Sounds like a lot of fun. This is definitely up my friend groups alley. We often play games together but there is 5 of us and most games are 4 player co-op which leaves one of us sidelined.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i'll take 2 keys hopefully i can force the wife to play, unless she scolds me and i have to finish ffvii first

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Gimme!

One thing I can say right off the bat is that there needs to be visual distinctions between orc wizards and shamans and warriors etc.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Looks very interesting. Initial reaction from the screenshots is something akin to Avatar (1979 video game) - Wikipedia which was so very very addictive in the pre-history of CRPGs largely because of it's multiplayer nature.

I'll give it a whirl and toss in my 2 cents

Rime

<Donor>
I put a chunk of hours into the original, browser version.

Are groups going to be required for the higher/later content?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Gimme!

One thing I can say right off the bat is that there needs to be visual distinctions between orc wizards and shamans and warriors etc.

Look at this bigot. Those orcs can identify however they please. Trans Orc Wizard Lives matter.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 users

maelfyn

Vyemm Raider
I put a chunk of hours into the original, browser version.

Are groups going to be required for the higher/later content?
No, there are normal and "heroic" quests. Heroic are designed for full parties. The mobs also scale their HP based on how many players are in the party.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Any plans for controller support? Game is pretty fun but I want to be lazy on my couch and play. Also can you put a check mark on the map when you use a shrine or grabbed a chest? Just some qol

maelfyn

Vyemm Raider
Any plans for controller support? Game is pretty fun but I want to be lazy on my couch and play. Also can you put a check mark on the map when you use a shrine or grabbed a chest? Just some qol
No plans for controller support right now. Might put some kind of indicator on the map to show that you've clicked the thing.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Played for a bit on my lunch break.

Monster names need to move up some, or maybe underneath them since mobs have different heights. Some mobs their name and health bar completely covers their face or upper body. Doesn't look good.

Placement of buffs and debuffs seems too out of the way, or maybe too small. Kind of forget about them since they're so far off to the right. I don't really notice when one falls off and needs refreshed.

Would be nice if you could see on your tooltip what a buff/debuff is doing. When I get a shrine I see the effect in the combat log, but I forget what they're doing after a couple rooms. Hovering over them currently just shows the name of the buff.

A 'return to entrance' button would be nice in dungeons. Kind of tedious when you have to run back through a bunch of empty rooms and hallways. I wondered if I could just return to town then return to the dungeon but figured it would reset it.

An Autoattack toggle would also be nice. I forgot to turn it on in a couple fights, til midway through.

Buying and selling items could use a shortcut. Right click, or shift + right click. Dragging the item over and over to the buy button seems unnecessary.

Not a bad game at all, nice work so far.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Am I missing a numerical representation of hp/mama/stamina?

I forgot about the casual aggravation of 'your spell fizzles', nostalgia overload.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like