New Orleans

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

lindz

#DDs
Husband and I are looking at getting away on our for the first time since we've had kids and are thinking about doing New Orleans this spring. Haven't done much research yet but would love to get opinions and recommendations from those that have been. Any hotels, restaurants, attractions that are especially good?

Also considering Savannah and Hawaii but New Orleans is at the top of the list right now.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Since you said spring, look up when Mardi Gras is this year. It can be difficult to get a room for up to a few weeks before Mardi Gras.

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Mardi Gras day is March 4, 2014. Parades in Orleans Parish will run starting February 21.

A good "local" restaurant review website isNew Orleans Menu | The Best Restaurants In New Orleans. Websites with listings of things to do areNew Orleans, LA Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - NOLA.comandGambit - New Orleans News and Entertainment. For hotels you can't go wrong with anything downtown or anything on St. Charles Avenue. Both will be on the streetcar line and/or within walking distance of the bulk of attractions/restaurants.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There are a ton of great places to eat, but I'll put my hat in and say Irene's is by far my favorite.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
New Orleans is hands down one of the most depressing cities I've ever visited. The landscape outside the French Quarter (which isn't that cool) is flat and drab. Some of the wards have interesting history they're not reason enough to go there. I last went during Halloween three years ago and downtown was strangely desolate and a few people got stabbed during a parade.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
New Orleans is a very dangerous city that is fun for a night or two if you know where to go and love the bar / club scene or are into freaky deeky sex stuff. Also some excellent food.

Otherwise the city is a fucking third world pit with the exception of a few small areas. Which for tourists is mostly the french quarter.

If you go, hit:

Audubon Zoo
River Walk area
Take a ferry down the river
French Quarter / Bourbon St

Aquarium is not worth paying for.

Can easily be done in two days. Don't stray off the tourist areas or you will be mugged / raped / Killed.

Mardi Gras is best avoided. If you want a some what crazy night but not deal with millions of people all pissing, shitting, blowing, fucking, puking etc all over each other then go during Halloween or some other time. Mardi Gras, unless you are a total booze hound and into parades in some huge way, is best avoided.

The other places in your list are all > New Orleans.

The best way to see NO is to hit a cruise out of there, spend the night before and go out and see the 5 blocks worth of clubs and shitty stores it has to offer and hop on the ship for a river cruise out to the Caribbean.

Pick your strip clubs carefully unless you are frequent the SS forum and enjoy Fedor posts.

lindz

#DDs
Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah I'm thinking I'd like to see it for a day or two, but probably not spend a full on vacation there.

Good to get input!

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Frenchmen Street is 100x better than Bourbon Street. Go to Frenchmen, dance all night, and have a great time. Don't listen to the couple of posters above. New Orleans is a great city, there is plenty that is fun to do.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Probalby not what you had in mind going with your wife but the WW2 museum is worth seeing.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Probalby not what you had in mind going with your wife but the WW2 museum is worth seeing.
+1 The D-Day museum is amazing, haven't been since they've opened this whole new building but you could already spend a whole day there before easy. There is also a couple of lesser known museums right in that same area, a civil war museum and black art history museum.

If you're driving or renting a car, the abita factory in abita springs is a cool place to stop. A little drive from no, but its all you can drink all the abita beers on tap and its free.

For eats, in the quarter(popular downtown area), Crescent City Brewhouse is pretty good, they brew their own beer there, weekends they have a live jazz band playing. Angeli's is good. And although I wasn't too impressed, Port of Call, has famous burgers, also famous for a mixed drink they make that'll knock you off your feet called a monsoon. There is also Pat O'Brian's which is famous for their hurricane drink that is really good. Also Acme Oyster House is another good restaurant in the quarter. In the uptown area, over on St. Charles, I'd recommend The Irish House and Copeland's, might be called Cheesecake Bistro at that location.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Frenchmen Street is 100x better than Bourbon Street. Go to Frenchmen, dance all night, and have a great time. Don't listen to the couple of posters above. New Orleans is a great city, there is plenty that is fun to do.
After going this past weekend and having my friend who lives in New Orleans lead us around, I'd definitely second this. We found great music to dance to both nights on Frenchman St.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That is where the Spotted Cat is right? That place was sort of fun one you got past the obnoxious PBR hipsters or whatever. The band they had and chicks dancing were really nice. One club right up the street from there used to do a Tom Waits Tuesday which was good.

Ethan_sl

shitlord
It is one of the major ports of United State. New Orleans offers an array of attractions and activities enjoyable by all walks of life. "House of Broel Dollhouse Museum" is a wounderful place to see. I have been used to visit that place a year ago after mybus tour washington dcwith my uncle. It is filled with rich tapestries, romantic paintings, fine wall coverings, ornate furniture and period-dressed dolls.

Column_sl

shitlord
New Orleans is the closest thing you will get to Europe in the states.

There is a ton of stuff to do in a very small area if you love that type of setting, great food, and great music.
It is not a place to bring the kids tho. It is a very mature city

If you are freshly married, or in a healthy relationship I can't think of a better place to just relax in a place much like you would find in Europe.
There is absolutely no point of venturing out of the main Tourist area, other then if you are history buff , and have a hard on for Civil war crap.

I'm from Kenner, so I lived there for the first 21 years of my life. The locals do not accept other people easily. Going to there bars like uptown, or metairie is not advised imo unless you have a local friend showing you around.
And I think going there doing Mardi Gras is not a good idea for a couple.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Heading to New Orleans in March 13-17th (Not my choice to miss Mardi Gras, I have business in that area so I figure I'd see that place). Anyone live in/near New Orleans want to meet up?

Destante

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you are gonna spend any time on Bourbon st. you should hit The Funky Pirate and see Big Al if you like blues at all. The place is a complete shit hole but it was one of my favorite hang outs to just listen to music and drink when I would make the trek from Baton Rouge back when I lived there. Been a couple years now though so he may be dead lol, dude was huge.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Leaving for 1.5 week trip.
image.php

Procrastinates on packing until the very last minute.

TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Damn, I'll be there on the 21st for a festival. If by some strange chance I'm there next weekend I'll give you a holler.