New Reactions

Archmage Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
43d 6h 52m
Reactions
8,795 413 0 0
As you may have guessed, I personally like reactions. I think they're fun, and enjoy having many to choose from. There's a few others here with nearly Skynet levels of reactions given out besides me.

I've been thinking about adding new reactions for a while now, but with the IG drama going on for the last few months, and the migration to XF2.0 I've had the idea on hold. Now, though, I think it's time to forge ahead with adding new reactions.

It's my thought that reactions should be a substitute for common reaction gifs that people post on the forums in response to people's posts. Some of the common ones that have been in use for the past several months are expressed here in miniature reaction-ready format. It's also my thought that there are some people who may or may not post in the general forum (politics, if I'm honest) with the intention of farming reactions, since this is the highest traffic thread on the site. By adding more reactions to that area of the forum, it makes that farming process more difficult, since with more available reactions it dilutes the specific amount of particular reactions given. Making "reaction farming" more difficult is a good thing IMO.

Here's what I have so far:
blondecringe1.gif
Cringe: for the politics/general forum. Animated, for donors. To be used when someone posts something cringe-worthy.​
Mother of God: For the Screenshots forum. Static, for all users. To be used when someone posts something that makes you exclaim this. ( . )( . )​
IHtWBRN-24.png
Weird Boner: For the Screenshots forum. Static, for all users. To be used when a post provokes an inexplicable erection. (Bonus points if Vanessa Vanessa uses this)​
jlawok6.gif
JLawOK: For politics/general forum. Animated, for donors. For sarcastic agreements.​
Rockeyeroll4.gif
EyeRoll (RockRoll?): For politics/general forum. Animated, for donors. For when you need to dismiss someone with an exaggerated eyeroll.​
Wtf.png
WTF: For Screenshots, and general forums (entire forum?). Static, for all users. For when someone posts something where the only reaction you can think of is WTF.​
FullPotato1.gif
Potato: For general/politics. Animated, for donors. For when someone is acting like a potato or posts something potato-like.​
alexjones2.gif
Alex Jones: For general/politics. Animated, for donors. For when someone posts a LARP, conspiracy theory, or possibly even hucksterish material. (I love this gif in full size form, it makes me laugh and it should be here.)​
fry1.png
Seriously?: For general/politics (forum wide?). Static, for all users. For when you need to express skeptical disbelief.​

These are ones that I have come up with personally, with the exception of Weird Boner, which is from Koushirou Koushirou . If you have an idea for an additional reaction, post it here and we'll consider it. Put it in 22x22 pixel format, and make a case for what it means and where on the forums it would be applicable, and what feeling or sense the reaction would ideally express. Keep in mind that animated reactions are typically reserved for donors, so don't neglect static images.

I've also had the idea that as memes die out or evolve or new memes come along that are superior to the old ones, we should be flexible enough to rotate out old/unpopular reactions from time to time to keep things fresh. I was thinking that the proper time to do this would be every 6 months or every year, whichever works better. The old ones would stay in the system, and show up on your profile pages still to show you received them even though they are phased out and no longer in use. Think of it like OG Streetcred.

So what does the community think? All of these new reactions? Just these few here _____? "I have this sweet new reaction gif you need to use!"? Let us know.

Last edited:

slippery

<Donors Crew>
13d 45m
Reactions
2,234 85 0 0
Potato would be good for gaming too

Seriously definitely site wide

What's Politics?

pharmakos

bµɐʁwɐʞoƨ
<Donors Crew>
15d 18h 14m
Reactions
4,975 1,981 0 0
that cringe GIF doesn't really work at that size. the rest are good.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
50d 13h 36m
Reactions
2,418 110 0 0
I've mentioned it before in the Amod thread, but I figured a "repost" option would be useful. Sometimes it gets pretty rampant in places like Screenshots or the General section, with people more excited about posting something before even looking at the previous page lol. I mentioned using either a repost icon or even a recycling symbol.

recycle1.gif
repost1.jpg
'

DickTrickle

Analrapist
<Donors Crew>
18d 11h 25m
Reactions
3,920 557 0 0
I think cringe works at that size, personally. Mother of God is a little less clear, maybe a little lightening of it (WHITEWASH).

I like the repost option, as well.

Lightning Fast
43d 6h 52m
Reactions
8,795 413 0 0
I've mentioned it before in the Amod thread, but I figured a "repost" option would be useful. Sometimes it gets pretty rampant in places like Screenshots or the General section, with people more excited about posting something before even looking at the previous page lol. I mentioned using either a repost icon or even a recycling symbol.

View attachment 165660 View attachment 165661 '
I can see that being useful to tag the people that repost things that are already posted here (sometimes on the same page!), but others complain about posts here being reposts of pics from reddit for instance, which is no big deal IMO because I don't go to reddit cause I hate their format.

repost2.png

Repost: For Screenshots/General forums. Static, for all users. Used to remind people to read the bloody thread before you post that latest sweet image from reddit or witty tweet that someone beat you to.

EDIT:

motherofgod_2.gif
How's this? Upped the brightness a lot and the contrast a bit.

Last edited:

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again!
<Donors Crew>
8d 14h 15m
Reactions
3,759 732 0 0
You're doing God's work LLR.

Gamma Rays

Good Sized Member
<Donors Crew>
10d 16h 51m
Reactions
4,623 1,988 0 0
Admiral Akbar - It's a trap!!

That's a reaction image I've wanted to suggest for a while . . . we all know where it'd be used.

I am happy to do the artwork. Just it would have to wait to the weekend.

Lanx

Aten Ha Ra Slayer
38d 7h 59m
Reactions
23,226 4,495 0 0
Admiral Akbar - It's a trap!!

That's a reaction image I've wanted to suggest for a while . . . we all know where it'd be used.

I am happy to do the artwork. Just it would have to wait to the weekend.
fuck yes, way ahead of you
ahkbarfoh.gif

Lightning Fast
43d 6h 52m
Reactions
8,795 413 0 0
Isn't Ackbar redundant with the Faggotry rating? Also, it's pretty obvious when people are posting traps, unless they're spoilered. Then if they ARE spoilered, people who have clicked on the spoiler before other people and rate it Ackbar have ruined the point of putting a trap behind a spoiler. If you rate the same scenario faggotry, people can see it MIGHT be a trap, but they can't be sure, so they click the spoiler anyway, and sure enough there it is.

The lulz from an Ackbar rating would be had from mislabeling things, or labeling them ironically. And how often does that scenario come up? Not often that I've seen, but that's just me.

Screamfeeder

Slayer of Kerafyrm
<Donors Crew>
12d 3h 51m
Reactions
9,770 10,680 0 0
You need to be embracing giphy.
I try but the search interface on the site seems to miss a lot of the good ones on giphy.

For example the one in my post you quoted doesn't come up in giphy search for mutiple related searches. I do try and use it first though when I have a particular one in mind.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
30d 3h 49m
Reactions
9,489 886 0 0
I request my NoobNoob avatar be used to replace the ice burn one.