New Rule: Should we cull all EQ-Neckbeard discussion from game threads?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Originally proposed by Sean:http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.p...l=1#post163962

The proposal is to make starting an EQ-nostalgia-neckbeard derail in any game thread a punishable offense. This boils down to any discussion that starts off with so-and-so MMORPG is garbage we should go back to making a game like EQ that was better in all ways possible.

All of these derails will then be culled from individual threads and moved into a specific thread for neckbearding, rosy glasses included. The effect will keep individual game threads clear of crap. No more armchair deving in game threads.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yes, it derails the fuck out of MMO threads and makes them unreadable. EQ circle jerks and the miscreants who start them should be kept corralled in EQ threads.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I would approve, not so much to protect other threads (although that is a plus too), but in order to condense discussion so I don't have to remember every thread where a discussion is taking place and repeat myself constantly.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hard to say when it becomes a derail though. The Elder Scrolls derail seemed to happen when Utnayan made an offhand comment about size of dungeons compared to EQ's. Which was a valid point and he wasn't at fault for the derail that happened. But somehow it morphed into something else.

Just an reminder to stay on topic should be good enough. And anyone can do that, it doesn't require moderation. But if people refuse to listen and still maintain the derail then some serious Hitler might be required.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This seems 100% objective and extremely easy to police. I'M IN!

Isn't this what the ignore button is for?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Sure lets limit discussion of a MMO on a MMO discussion board. Sounds like a solid plan.

Don't over manage something that doesn't need to be touched.

Dom_sl

shitlord
I hate the EQ circle-jerks more than probably anyone else on here, but this is not something that falls under the purview of decent moderation.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
It sounds like over moderating. Let people say what they wanna say. Who gives a shit? You dont have to read the shit. Its a slippery slope you are treading on....

It has been this way forever, why fucking change shit? If it angers you that much, dont fucking read it.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Hell yes. The EQ bullshit has been out of hand foryears. This has gone from being the section I post in the most to the section I view the least. This is the main reason. Without fail someone will come along and talk about how they think camping in Guk for 36 hours straight was the pinnacle of gaming. It is fucking obnoxious and we have been hearing that same tired bullshit for almost a decade now.

We have EQ threads. Use them.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Jesus people, its not the us constitution. If someone derails a thread with stupid shit then remove the posts and if they do it over and over ban them.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I feel like every thread has a life of it's own, and sometimes you're just going to get into those waters given this site's origins. If the majority of the thread is talking about something, let it ride. If someone is really obviously trying to derail or threadshit, then deal with it.

Dom_sl

shitlord
I do however support a thread being culled of it on an individual basis if it gets really bad, like 7-10 pages worth of bad. Kind of like how it's always been done.

That aside, you EQ nostalgia victims really do fucking post about it too much, in every single thread imaginable.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Sure lets limit discussion of a MMO on a MMO discussion board.
It isn't limiting discussion of any MMO. People can discuss EQ until they are blue in the face. What he is saying is that the derails in OTHER MMO threads need to stop. I don't disagree that WoW is just as bad. We should be encouraging discussion based on the topics at hand. Unfortunately we have people here who just can't let go of the EQ glory days. Funnily enough some of them have already voted no. Wonder why?
tongue.png

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
The one who proposed this new rule is also one of the people in that thread who has been most active in engaging in the Derail. He's just starting to get frustrated over differing opinions, just like he did in the Dead Space thread. If you don't like the derail shut the fuck up and let it die, don't keep responding to it because you're just as bad at that point.