New World

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The travel stuff makes sense if you did any PVP. We were attacking a fort and if you ended up losing your camp / close respawn, you basically were out of the fight since you had to run back from town through the enemy.
If they need long travel times to make their pvp work, its just bad fucking game design IMO. If they are afraid of spawn rushers, move the fucking PvP areas away from the spawns?

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Oh Jesus Christ Guy - Travel should NOT be used as a time sink - quit defending the fucking obvious. I have the mats - it's idiotic design that I spend half my play time running from spot to spot in the time it takes without any mount feature to ease that pain as you level up. And trust me, I know how to maximize gain vs travel. The back and forth is mind numbingly boring as fuck - and the tactic shouldn't be used any more and if you think travel time means "Coddling" you're a fucking moron.
I didn't say that, I just pointed out that you were wrong about WoW. I'm not just doing rapid fire back to back quests repeatedly so it hasn't bothered me much. Every MMO i've played the memories of being low level and hoofing it are part of the deal, so maybe i'm just not as annoyed. If you got a couple random quests on the opposite sides of the zone then yeah that's a pretty good run if you are just going straight there.

Mobility has always been a key part of PVP so i'm not sure if it comes from that angle. Maybe they couldn't design and implement mounts into the game combat/PVP system due to inadequacies and all the changes, or maybe they just wanted the time sink.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I didn't say that, I just pointed out that you were wrong about WoW. I'm not just doing rapid fire back to back quests repeatedly so it hasn't bothered me much. Every MMO i've played the memories of being low level and hoofing it are part of the deal, so maybe i'm just not as annoyed. If you got a couple random quests on the opposite sides of the zone then yeah that's a pretty good run if you are just going straight there.

Mobility has always been a key part of PVP so i'm not sure if it comes from that angle. Maybe they couldn't design and implement mounts into the game combat/PVP system due to inadequacies and all the changes, or maybe they just wanted the time sink.
Problem is this game does not do the hub to hub type shit like other games figured out. The questing is all disjointed and has you running back and forth a lot. Its not like WOW when you go into a hub, pick up all the quests, make a nice loop around the area and then back to the hub for turn ins.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Imo let me fast travel back to town without being in a sancturary thing(the fast travel locations in the world). Put it on a 15m timer. The azoth was pretty easy to get and I kept getting messages I was almost capped so I better use it. I still might not even use it. I tended to just gather on the way back to town from quests. Kept my materials up, instead of going out to specifically gather. Was great for things like iron which was pretty rare and scattered about in the hills/cliffs.

Granted it might be different with serious crafting where you use it to upgrade chances at mods and such?

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
If they need long travel times to make their pvp work, its just bad fucking game design IMO. If they are afraid of spawn rushers, move the fucking PvP areas away from the spawns?
You're saying the same thing. The pvp areas are far away from the spawn which means travel time is what prevents you from spawn rushing??

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You're saying the same thing. The pvp areas are far away from the spawn which means travel time is what prevents you from spawn rushing??
Make PvP timers then and introduce mounts. Until your PvP timer is up, or the base fight is over, or you deflag yourself, you cannot use mount. Problem solved. See it took all of 5 seconds for me to come up with a solution and im sure there are others. If anyone thought about ti for...say and hour... Maybe they could come up with some other shit to stop spawn rushing in PvP while retaining speed in getting around the world.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Problem is this game does not do the hub to hub type shit like other games figured out. The questing is all disjointed and has you running back and forth a lot. Its not like WOW when you go into a hub, pick up all the quests, make a nice loop around the area and then back to the hub for turn ins.

Yeah there is a ton of back and forth. Eventually it does send you out to a new hub to start it all over again. Wasn't too big a deal was I was getting 3 faction missions each time I went out. I still did them in batches of 4-6 quests at a time, then looped back around to town to turn in. The story quest though can send you into weird places out in the boonies. Thankfully the one I had to go to constantly(was some guy by a river with some docks) there was a fast travel location right to him.

So I would grab factoin quests, check town board, check for any other in town quests. Then head out in path that would take me to each quests in order. Sometimes it looped me around back to town, other times not so. Then I would just start running back to town gathering on the way back.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Shadowbane did that. Any time you died, it was like a 20 minute run back, especially if you weren’t a ranger or centaur

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Yeah there is a ton of back and forth. Eventually it does send you out to a new hub to start it all over again. Wasn't too big a deal was I was getting 3 faction missions each time I went out. I still did them in batches of 4-6 quests at a time, then looped back around to town to turn in. The story quest though can send you into weird places out in the boonies. Thankfully the one I had to go to constantly(was some guy by a river with some docks) there was a fast travel location right to him.

So I would grab factoin quests, check town board, check for any other in town quests. Then head out in path that would take me to each quests in order. Sometimes it looped me around back to town, other times not so. Then I would just start running back to town gathering on the way back.
The "story quests" ? That's a pretty generous description. Ain't no story here.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Shadowbane did that. Any time you died, it was like a 20 minute run back, especially if you weren’t a ranger or centaur
Hatchet helps with that. Get the berserk skill and keep it in your inventory. Free 20% movement speed boost.

I like this game because there's a lot of freedom in builds and random quirky items like that. It's actually refreshing.

I've long stated that EQ was great because it has authentic crappiness and didn't know what the fuck it wanted to be. That's exactly the vibe I am getting from this game. It'll likely go away once I do everything in the game, but if Amazon has a way of keeping up the pace unlike EQ, I think it will be more than successful.

Streamers were abusing crafting quests by taking only those, abandoning the ones that werent crafting quests and waiting for refresh to get new crafting quests. Then theyd run around outside their town for a couple minutes chopping trees down and spend the rest of the 5 minute CD waiting for their simps to trade them crafting mats so theyd be 20 levels higher than anyone levelling normally
The biggest thing Amazon could do to promote the game is rollback the streamers that abused their viewers to exploit a quest. Not ban, not suspend, roll back. I know 'it's a beta', but that would go a long way in filling the gap between streamers and normal people who play the game.

If this game gives preferential treatment to Twitch streamers over normal players, it will die quickly.

Good problem to have, though, if you're Amazon. People seem to be enjoying the game 'except for this one small thing' - easy issue to fix as a developer. You're in closed beta and now have time to remedy that stuff for launch, and massive streamer involvement means you can find those issues quickly. The streamers need to be aware that behavior, even in a 'preview', will still have means of being remedied.

It also means you aren't in Actiblizz's spot - where you're facing the worst content update in WoWs expansion history since WoD after promising them quality 'this time around', and players are targeting their ire at you due to that and an impending big lawsuit about your employees diddling wammens.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
I actually don't mind the streamers using their viewers to help boost them up to max level. Most of these open "closed" betas stick you at the beginning and the devs polish the shit out of the first 20 levels then everyone stops to prepare for launch and once you hit 21 you realize the later half of the game is unfinished horseshit.

I'd rather a few streamers get boosted up and I can go watch the later part of the game since they are streaming, vs it just being a few weirdo poopsockers who are able to get that high. Really, during beta they should have xp boosts purchasable from a vendor for people who want to 'test' the higher level content for them. As it stands, it's just a shitty preview week for pre-order people which will be wiped. Only the spergiest of the spergs will max out their tradeskills/levels/weapon mastery in that time.

Just close those doors on release.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Thing is I am not wrong about WoW. Yes, the run from Org to Barrens was long. Then you get the flight point back and it's infinitely faster once you first travel there. (As it was with everywhere) and at 40 you were rewarded with faster travel, and then a 100% mount at 60 to also lessen the pain which still included flight points. As undead, I had flight points between Brill and Sepulcher, or hell, even Sepulcher back to Undercity at level 9. This game doesn't have that. As people are saying it gets a little easier later on (I am level 11) but right now in this instance I just started my faction board missions, grabbed what I could which were "kind of in the same area", ran there (700-1000m) (10 minute run) did those (10 minutes actual play time) then oops, used my respawn to inn ability 20 minutes ago and now have to run all the way back which was another 10 minutes. So out of that 30 minute stint, I was running 67% and and actually in action for 33% of it. Yes, I did some resource gathering along the way (Didn't include that in travel time) but really just wanted to start advancing.

If you want to compare this to WoW you had better put your quest starts in Org, to be completed in Barrens, to be consumed/returned in Org - hearthstone at 60 min CD without a flight point and then run back to org because it isn't off cooldown for the long haul. That would be the proper comparison and that would have been complete shit and every designer worth a shit knows it. Even back in 2003 F&F Alpha.

We had faster travel back to any junctions 17 years ago. Why? Because a travel sink isn't fun. Want to gate content/curve? There are plenty of other ways in which to do it along interacting level / skill sets and pre-reqs. At least then you are in the action and doing something besides drinking a beer and watching paint dry.

PvP could have been handled a lot easier if that is the reason for the travel sink (CD's for entering battle because the system is there to turn it on or off so it would be all of an if/then to throw a cool down timer on when one could fight again - even if they were able to make it back to the battle - Which would have been even fun because imagine 40% of an army that cannot fight but it gives credence to a threat: And hell, at least it would be a new gameplay mechanic) but this game was in development hell so it's probably a good reason why they just hamstrung in something stupid.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I actually don't mind the streamers using their viewers to help boost them up to max level. Most of these open "closed" betas stick you at the beginning and the devs polish the shit out of the first 20 levels then everyone stops to prepare for launch and once you hit 21 you realize the later half of the game is unfinished horseshit.

I'd rather a few streamers get boosted up and I can go watch the later part of the game since they are streaming, vs it just being a few weirdo poopsockers who are able to get that high. Really, during beta they should have xp boosts purchasable from a vendor for people who want to 'test' the higher level content for them. As it stands, it's just a shitty preview week for pre-order people which will be wiped. Only the spergiest of the spergs will max out their tradeskills/levels/weapon mastery in that time.

Just close those doors on release.

Yeah this definitely happened (Before streaming) with DAOC on launch. No one really got passed level 30 - once the thing launched nothing was itemized post level 35 for months and end game (Relics) were no where to be seen as artificially bugged. It was a shit show.

Xevy

Log Wizard
So their running system is about 300% better than Alpha. There weren't TP towers. Fast travel was almost twice the cost it is now. I don't know if territory owners actually got reduced costs like they do now.

Their system is basically made for you to gather on your way to/from quests. You stock up on quests, do a full circle around your territory, gather the hot shit you find, and then come back to town and turn in. Now Hermit quests used to suck the BIGGEST balls until we figured out you just make a camp next to him and suicide when you're ready to turn in. The towers make everything way easier. If you're just doing main story quests and not grabbing sidequests/board missions/faction missions on the way you're not doing it right.

The comm board change was good, 30 minutes may be a BIT much, but I was thinking 15-20 would be good. The idea is you go to the board, grab every quests, then figure out where to go to maximize your quest completion. Maybe a nice fiber area with farms for food while you fish. After you've stocked up you're close to timer and you come back and turn in. Boom! New rounds. It's kind of jam packing shit because they don't have a million story quests, but you can do so much WHILE doing the few story quests.

Overall it's not that bad. 30+ it gets rough for sure, but honestly if they just tuned up mob exp a bit it'd help. At lvl 22 I was killing lvl 29's for 26 exp each. It took approximately 32,000 exp to level. That ain't good. Questing for exp is fine, but this quest system is 3 months old and not fully optimized yet. If they doubled or tripled mob exp I think it'd help greatly. Though that said you may not get good exp from grinding mobs, but the loot is INSANE. You will be swimming in equipment if you grind some decent level humanoids for 30 minutes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users