New World

kahilm

Blackwing Lair Raider
I haven't been keeping up but i'm interested based on the folks in alpha not vomiting immediately. is PVP optional? PVP servers? grief? do we know yet?

Yeah full PVP after level 5 outside of outposts. You have to flag yourself with "criminal intent" in order to attack other players. I guess that keeps you from accidentally hitting others and getting flagged as criminal. Once you go criminal and kill other players, your nametag turns red and others can attack you without becoming criminal themselves. Non-criminals drop everything in their bags when dead, but keep equipped armor, weapons, and like 4-5 "resources" on your hotbar - think food & bandages. I think criminals will drop everything when they die, including equipped stuff. Your criminal status lasts minutes or hours depending on how much shit you do. You're gonna wanna store most of your stuff in outposts where there's free storage, but storage between outposts isn't connected so you'll sometimes have to make risky trips between them.

I hope they don't make carebear servers. The whole point of the game is PVP and especially group PVP. All your loot is replaceable anyway.

Goonsquad Officer
ahh. thank you.

bleh, not a big fan of pvp, but who knows, it could have a good element like eve online where it makes the economy a real thing...though if gear isn't "destroyed" in the conflict it'll just lead to hording i presume.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
If I played this with friends, I would probably like it, but it's not really my cup of tea. Tech-wise and performance-wise, it's pretty damn good for an alpha.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

kahilm

Blackwing Lair Raider
ahh. thank you.

bleh, not a big fan of pvp, but who knows, it could have a good element like eve online where it makes the economy a real thing...though if gear isn't "destroyed" in the conflict it'll just lead to hording i presume.

Gear breaks down pretty quick from death and just using it in combat/gathering. If not repaired, I think it just gets destroyed. But yeah full guilds/companies will surely have tons of backup resources. However, those are stored in their guild storage and if their base is attacked/overthrown, they can be looted.

Goonsquad Officer
ahh. good then. I do enjoy some shit breaking. I'll have to watch and see what they do. if there's not a boon to non pvp besides "can take the first swing at people you don't want to engage with anyway" I doubt i'll check it out.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
One third durability hit on equipped items and unequipped items lootable. It's enough of a deterrent and gear is weak enough now to not matter such that there will be a lot of lamers running around PKing naked. Not sure how I feel about that. And unless they just changed it could be killed at any level so was typical noob griefing by said naked PKers. Not a good look to a lot of people who arent hardcore enough.

kahilm

Blackwing Lair Raider
One third durability hit on equipped items and unequipped items lootable. It's enough of a deterrent and gear is weak enough now to not matter such that there will be a lot of lamers running around PKing naked. Not sure how I feel about that. And unless they just changed it could be killed at any level so was typical noob griefing by said naked PKers. Not a good look to a lot of people who arent hardcore enough.

Maybe a 1 character limit per server. Would prevent using naked alts to grief without consequences, at least on the server that you normally play on. Magic also may help once that's really implemented - get buffs from others while in outposts, or buff yourself so you stand a better chance against PKs. But as has been already said in this thread, levels don't matter much at all for combat, so a high level PK is only gonna do slightly more damage.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I haven't been keeping up but i'm interested based on the folks in alpha not vomiting immediately. is PVP optional? PVP servers? grief? do we know yet?

a lot of my friends and I played ark for a while, and we played for a while on a mod server (survival plus) that was meant to be a midevil times simulator, so this games era and style seems like that without the poor mod development decisions.

Its a PVP game. Think UO if it was released in 2018.

Although it’s still in very early Alpha, so who knows what it’ll look like a year from now.

• 1Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Its a PVP game. Think UO if it was released in 2018.

Although it’s still in very early Alpha, so who knows what it’ll look like a year from now.

A 2018 Version of UO is a big statement in my opinion. I could really get into that if they can keep it going in the direction. Any UO or old school MMO people on the Dev team? I've seen a lot of GW folks.

• 1Like

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Another survival game calling itself an MMO? Trimming bushes for endless hours, building a semi-useful structure, then PvPing with a handful of combat skills doesn't get my dick hard.

• 1Solidarity

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Another survival game calling itself an MMO? Trimming bushes for endless hours, building a semi-useful structure, then PvPing with a handful of combat skills doesn't get my dick hard.

Move along Mr. Big Dick.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider

I can't stand the 50 man server survival crap either but this sounds like an MMO to me.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
So far the direction looks more MMO with survival elements. Hopefully they'll keep making improvements so a clearer vision for the game starts to materialize, particularly to combat and PvE, so it's more than just a giant practically-penalty-free arena and becomes more of a world worth fighting over. We'll see where it goes, but it's a bit early for people to be writing the game off completely.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So is it full of long stuns and knockdowns or can you actually control your character in a pvp fight?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
This is certainly going to be larger than your normal survival game's population. Much larger in scope.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
So is it full of long stuns and knockdowns or can you actually control your character in a pvp fight?

Right now, reportedly, allegedly, hypothetically, combat is pretty fast once the hits start. So most fights are 2 or 3 hits in both pvp and pve. The good is that it's not a long, frustrating stun-fest. The bad is that it's not very rewarding and the devs have reportedly said they understand that and are working to make all combat more involved. Their design definitely seems to be going away from your typical fiddy ability hotkey rotation filled with stuns and knockbacks, but hasn't quite reached a sweet spot yet for more action combat.

Other problem is without stuns or range closing abilities and the like you end up spending more time chasing a player in circles than actually fighting them, as once you catch them it's wham-bam-pked-ma'am.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Right now, reportedly, allegedly, hypothetically, combat is pretty fast once the hits start. So most fights are 2 or 3 hits in both pvp and pve. The good is that it's not a long, frustrating stun-fest. The bad is that it's not very rewarding and the devs have reportedly said they understand that and are working to make all combat more involved. Their design definitely seems to be going away from your typical fiddy ability hotkey rotation filled with stuns and knockbacks, but hasn't quite reached a sweet spot yet for more action combat.

Other problem is without stuns or range closing abilities and the like you end up spending more time chasing a player in circles than actually fighting them, as once you catch them it's wham-bam-pked-ma'am.

Yeah, but there’s also nothing more rewarding (or horrifying) than to chase or be chased for two minutes with one hit left on your health bar.

Once you experience it, I think it’s be more rewarding. I’m particularly fond of slower and more articulate combat, so I think they’re pretty close to finalizing combat.

The only people I’ve heard shit-talking the combat system were doing just that, shit taking it. I haven’t heard anyone talk reasonably about changing it, so that tells me there’s nothing gamebreaking about it, other than some exceptions that want something more twitchy. We may still get it, idk. The devs aren’t vocal about it on the forums.

Brikker

Trump's Staff

Were there trannies in the new world?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users