New World

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Super encouraging that they are going dark. Shows some forethought, and some awareness that many of these other studios don't have.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I really enjoyed the Alpha during this past phase. I'm glad they're taking it down for a bit. I hate saying it again for yet another game, but I see huge potential for this game. :emoji_blush:

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's the only mmo I've considered fucking around with in years. So many MMOs are clunky to play, and for me clunky gameplay is a game killer. Clunky gameplay, terrible UI, bugs and broken mechanics, boring combat, lack of challenge... Those are the main hurdles MMOs seem to have a problem overcoming.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
33i285.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
That article says the laid off employees are being given 60 days to find a position within amazon and that they’ll receive a severance should they leave the company. Of course, it’s not as good as not getting laid off, but that’s gotta be one of the most generous lay off deals I’ve heard about.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This case with Lumberyard/Crytek has been going on forever. I'm sure its under different circumstances, but I would never elect to create a massive game like SCO is suppose to be, in an engine that not a lot of programmers have experience with. Much less would I have licensing issues with it.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Someone help me out here. Is Smedley doing New World or one of the other unannounced projects? I seem to remember reading somewhere in the past that New World was not the project Smedley was on, but I could be wrong.

Daidraco

Someone help me out here. Is Smedley doing New World or one of the other unannounced projects? I seem to remember reading somewhere in the past that New World was not the project Smedley was on, but I could be wrong.

Someone here said that Smed wasnt on this project. Sounds like New World didnt need Smed's help to put the nail in the coffin, anyways.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
New World and Crucible appear to be still in development.

“Amazon Game Studios is reorganizing some of our teams to allow us to prioritize development of New World, Crucible, and new unannounced projects we’re excited to reveal in the future,” an Amazon spokesperson said in a statement. “These moves are the result of regular business planning cycles where we align resources to match evolving, long-range priorities. We’re working closely with all employees affected by these changes to assist them in finding new roles within Amazon. Amazon is deeply committed to games and continues to invest heavily in Amazon Game Studios, Twitch, Twitch Prime, AWS, our retail businesses, and other areas within Amazon.”

Amazon Lays Off Dozens Of Game Developers During E3

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The little bit I played of New World was enjoyable. Very polished for an alpha.

Not sure where they are going with the game or if it's my type of play style, but really hope they do well with it. Need to encourage other developers in the west to make new AAA mmos. Best way to do that is for them to see a new successful title that doesn't look like Wow.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Traditional AAA mmos will never be "successful", if you define "success" as being popular.
Even financially, they pale in comparison to almost everything else.
What developer wants to spend millions to a billion on a AAA MMO when they could spend a million or less on a mobile game or the new hot shit (MOBA, BR, Auto Chess, etc.) and rake in so much more.

The next MMO that will be successful will be when Facebook becomes a virtual world.

I'm thinking like the movie : Ready Player One.
Social, VR, Massive Virtual World, etc.
Social is the key, the game mechanics won't even matter. Just make a dress-up game for your avatar and have all your facebook friends connected.
Very similar concept to Second Life, except a version 2 that is more mainstream with modern features + VR + Mobile

Daidraco

Traditional AAA mmos will never be "successful", if you define "success" as being popular.
Even financially, they pale in comparison to almost everything else.
What developer wants to spend millions to a billion on a AAA MMO when they could spend a million or less on a mobile game or the new hot shit (MOBA, BR, Auto Chess, etc.) and rake in so much more.

The next MMO that will be successful will be when Facebook becomes a virtual world.

I'm thinking like the movie : Ready Player One.
Social, VR, Massive Virtual World, etc.
Social is the key, the game mechanics won't even matter. Just make a dress-up game for your avatar and have all your facebook friends connected.
Very similar concept to Second Life, except a version 2 that is more mainstream with modern features + VR + Mobile

Car Makers that are working on automated driving cars have noticed quite the obvious in regards to what you're saying. The operator of the car, and its other occupants are bored of course. No longer do you have to focus attention on the road, but now you're left to figure out how to fill that time. What companies like Tesla, VW etc. have started or created a couple years back was putting a VR experience inside the car. I suspect that by the time automated cars catch on, and its quite common to have VR in your vehicle - (Vehicles in the 20-30k range having VR) - then we'll see an explosion of innovation with VR. Launching games similar to what you're referring to, and quite possibly ones with more depth (ala Sword Art Online esque). You can expect that Steam or Epic Games will launch the VR platform Ready Player One (Maybe Oculus if they can partner with one of the prior two?). Social VR launches would likely be initiated by Instagram partnered with google.

Cars have had internet capability for quite a few years now and its only improving for some of the cars Ive seen when visiting the Luxury stores in my auto group. One of the cars in development right now for either Audi or BMW has internet capabilities with two supposed 5G connections which peaks out at something like 37 megs a piece? So 74 Megabytes a second type of connection.. in a car?.. tf.

Lets just say, we have a lot to look forward to in the next 15-20 years. Just wish I was 10 years old again so I could experience it all as a kid without responsibilities.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 1 users