New World

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It does not matter what incentives you put out there. There will always be idiots who are willing to get an unlimited number of friends to break a spawn camp simple to ruin the experience of the game for new players. Open world pvp can never work because there are so many dudes who never got hugged as a kid.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Open world pvp can never work because there are so many dudes who never got hugged as a kid.

Or maybe they got too many of them.

lkbkjm.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Blown
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Devs should be banned or instantly fired for using the phrase '' your choice matters'' in those vids. I heard the phrase and eyes rolled instantly.
Also, i just dont get this hard on from many mmos for ''no classes'' just do what you like best and youll be the best in it. I wanna use bow and arrows all the time, why cant i just pick a fuckin ranger. I wanna click spells all the time. Why can i just pick a fuckin wizard. No classes doesnt make your mmo special ffs.

That said, ill prolly try it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's why I believe that games that come out swinging at the "MASSIVE PVP CONTENT" ball are set to fail before they even release (Not counting shooters because I dunno, shooters seem to survive no matter what).

The market for FPS is ginormous. This is just a little shitty cult game comparatively.

Even if it finds success. Against FPS its nothing.

• 1Like

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
Something tell's me this game is just a test run for their upcoming LOTR game. I read that they are using the same development team for that game

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
The market for FPS is ginormous. This is just a little shitty cult game comparatively.

Even if it finds success. Against FPS its nothing.

When I say "PVP content" in this context I am specifically talking about MMORPGs not generally PvP as a whole or FPS games.

If we broadly define "PvP Content" as any situation where a player fights another player then yes, PVP is one of, if not the LARGEST player base.

Though...maybe not, because at that point we are taking ALL games into consideration and, as far as I am aware, other than steam there isn't much tracking player-bases within single-player games.

Either way, lets just assume that it is the largest, you are then, as a developer, faced with the situation that I describe where you are trying to throw a dart at this massive venn diagram of PVP players where you hit an overlap of design traits that appeal to a set of PvPers.

The thing about PvPers is that once the flood of players that joined a game on release start leaving a game, for whatever reason, PvPers are especially sensitive to that shift, since PEOPLE are your content.

• 1Like

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Something tell's me this game is just a test run for their upcoming LOTR game. I read that they are using the same development team for that game
Read somewhere its gonna be free to play. How can they manage this in a mmo without fuckin up the game.

Hoping their lotr mmo pulls it out tho.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Read somewhere its gonna be free to play. How can they manage this in a mmo without fuckin up the game.

Hoping their lotr mmo pulls it out tho.

This is Amazon, they have vaults of money, and they are not stupid. It is not unusual to put something out there and take a loss to break into a market and get customers.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Or it's just going to be micro-transaction P2W central... in a PvP game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really hope the LOTR MMO is a joke...I kinda like logging into LOTRO every now and then, it's so nostalgic.

Hope its not a joke. Not like we’re drowning in quality high fantasy mmos. Market is empty as fuck .

• 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

They currently can't make a fantasy MMO about PvP with nearly 0 story-element and you wanna hand them Lord of the rings? No thanks.

Double no thanks since it will likely come with the closing of LOTRO.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
If this is a beta for lotr, sure why not. Theres nothing else remotely interesting coming out. If they dont try, they cant succeed. Ill judge their lotr once its released after playing it. Not basing my opinion on the bandwagon that pvp in new world sucks so their lotr is gonna fail. Thats pre-schooler non sense. Beside, like it was said, they actually got
money. No donations for a pre-pre alpha thats a decade from release. I truthfully hope they make it work.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

TL;DR: PVP becomes WoW-like. Your only penalty is time it takes back to your body but provides warflag buffs like +% EXP. Just like BFA. Seems to incorporate DAOC style wars. With siege engines and the like.

• 1Cringe

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That seems like a massive shift in focus over just 6 months.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Relatively obvious what is happening. They are succumbing to making PVP in their sandbox PVP game as convenient and pointless as possible. Because the idea that a player is inconvenienced by PVP or punished by it... in their PVP focused game just can't happen. It will alienate players!

Or some shit. I forgot to add that their big wars are all 50/50 battleground style now too.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They want to make money. An open PvP with dropped items, xp loss, etc., will inhibit that because there are many, many, many more people who would say "Fuck it, I'm out" than there will ever be people who would say "Hell yea, awesome!".

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users